Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3029900

Subject: "NYT piece on the new Madlib + Four Tet album" Previous topic | Next topic
Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Wed Jan-27-21 10:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NYT piece on the new Madlib + Four Tet album"

https://nyti.ms/3pnv9hi

there's probably little here you didn't know already, but it's still a nice read. I got a kick out of learning that Madlib is cool enough to turn down an invitation from Radiohead. dude's my hero, haha.

I incorrectly assumed this record would be more of an actual collab, but it's more akin to Pete Rock curating the Jay Stay Paid record. ...which is kinda cool, actually. I like what I've heard so far.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hyped for this album
Jan 28th 2021
RE: hyped for this album
Jan 28th 2021
RE: hyped for this album
Jan 29th 2021
lol, i didn't know he had an issue...
Jan 29th 2021
wooow great news
Feb 01st 2021
Album is dope!
Jan 29th 2021
RE: Album is dope!
Jan 29th 2021
Very! This will be on repeat this weekend
Jan 29th 2021
This sounds more 'clean' than his other work
Feb 02nd 2021

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Thu Jan-28-21 07:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "hyped for this album"
In response to Reply # 0

plus:

"Following “Sound Ancestors,” Madlib hopes to start releasing a new album every month through Madlib Invazion. He offhandedly mentioned collections he’s put together based around both calypso and industrial music, material he recorded with Brazilian artists and an indie rock album made with the jazz-funk weirdo Thundercat."

be surprised if we get all that, but still... exciting!

Options
1013 posts
Thu Jan-28-21 08:13 PM

2. "RE: hyped for this album"
In response to Reply # 1

>be surprised if we get all that, but still... exciting!

yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath on those either, but y'never know, right?

spidey
Charter member
13121 posts
Fri Jan-29-21 11:29 AM

3. "RE: hyped for this album"
In response to Reply # 1

...imo, quality control is Lib's issue. He use to release a lot of stuff, not always sounding, let's just say right...really diggin this Ancestors joint though...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Jan-29-21 03:04 PM

5. "lol, i didn't know he had an issue..."
In response to Reply # 3

>...imo, quality control is Lib's issue. He use to release a
>lot of stuff, not always sounding, let's just say
>right...really diggin this Ancestors joint though...

I've never felt he's releasing without thought or that he's on autopilot -- even I don't feel something, I'm not sure it's ever been about quality as that particular release just doesn't do it for me.

For how prolific he can be, he really doesn't miss very often (to my ears anyway).

Regardless, this record makes me incredibly happy for some reason, doubly so with the Jahari Massamba Unit record just a few months behind us. He's outdoing himself right now.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Mon Feb-01-21 01:25 AM

8. "wooow great news"
In response to Reply # 1

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3050 posts
Fri Jan-29-21 01:44 PM

4. "Album is dope!"
In response to Reply # 0

Options
1013 posts
Fri Jan-29-21 08:30 PM

6. "RE: Album is dope!"
In response to Reply # 4

yeah, there are some joints on here I'm really messin' with. was considering the wax, but I think I'm gonna cherry pick my favorite tracks digitally.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Fri Jan-29-21 09:35 PM

7. "Very! This will be on repeat this weekend"
In response to Reply # 4

topaz
Member since Nov 28th 2002
6236 posts
Tue Feb-02-21 12:49 AM

9. "This sounds more 'clean' than his other work"
In response to Reply # 0

Like it's got a less dusty feel to it. Will need to give it a few more spins, but there are definitely some good tracks here.

-
Gang Starr / Nujabes blend - https://youtu.be/lsci1vu6ick
DOOM Tribute - https://youtu.be/qmBQ2BDefKM
Donut of the Heart cover in Javascript - https://youtu.be/afLc2CkC8lk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3029900 Previous topic | Next topic