Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3029592

Subject: "recommend a personal favorite" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 03:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"recommend a personal favorite"

So that we can all put on our headphones and tune out the world for an hour...

Name one record, a personal favorite, that you wish more people knew about. Old or new, any genre, popular or obscure, doesn't matter -- just one record that you go back to again and again and that feels a bit like a secret, like "why doesn't everyone keep this in their back pocket?"

My pick today: Valerie June - The Order of Time

I could wax poetic about this record all day but I won't (at least not right now). All I'll say is that there is something really warm and rich and comforting about the record, and June has a knack for both the particularities of the mundane and the cosmic, both in lyrics and in music. Even where the lyrics are on the sadder end of things, every song here just seems to float and drift and it asks you to float and drift with it. And June's unorthodox vocals give it a quality both palpable and mysterious.

I find myself going back to it time and again since its release in 2017 and every time I wish more people knew about it.

I don't think there's a single track on here I ever skip but my favorites are probably the opener "Long Lonely Road," "Love You Once Made" (I've put that on repeat on more than one occasion, I wish it just hung out with the closing refrain for 20 minutes), the Escher-like "If And," "Astral Plane" and "Slip Slide On By."

I'll throw "Two Hearts" in there as a masterclass in building up a song gently and with so much subtlety that where it ends seems completely different from where it begins, and yet there's no pinpointing how it got there...

I could go on.

Just go listen to the whole album now. It's impeccably produced so put on some good headphones for it. Sink into it. Then come back and share one of your favorite records so I can stop doomscrolling for a bit...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Median - How Big Is Your World
Jan 07th 2021
Oh this is beautiful. Didn't even know he dropped an album.
Jan 07th 2021
He dropped 2
Jan 07th 2021
      Word thanks. I'll do some digging.
Jan 07th 2021
           RE: Word thanks. I'll do some digging.
Jan 07th 2021
                Got curious if it was still out there, here’s the EP
Jan 07th 2021
                     Damn man. Thanks for all this.
Jan 07th 2021
                          No problem, yeah I think Median’s releases went under the radar
Jan 08th 2021
                               after Tigallo & Pooh, Median was the only JL MC I dug
Jan 08th 2021
                                    LEGACY definitely had his moments IMO
Jan 08th 2021
                                         forgot about Chaundon, he was nice too
Jan 09th 2021
                                              RE: forgot about Chaundon, he was nice too
Jan 09th 2021
LOL...breh, we > < today
Jan 07th 2021
Lol, Fresh Breath was a great one too
Jan 07th 2021
      yeah, it's hard for me...
Jan 07th 2021
listening to the whole Median's Relief lp now
Jan 08th 2021
      Yeah he only put out 2 1/2 projects, but never heard him on a bad beat
Jan 08th 2021
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter / Pink Moon
Jan 07th 2021
thanks so much for mentioning drake
Jan 12th 2021
      RE: thanks so much for mentioning drake
Jan 12th 2021
Median - Fresh Breath....off The Sender album....
Jan 07th 2021
100% galcher
Jan 07th 2021
nice pic
Jan 12th 2021
Jeremy Steig - energy
Jan 08th 2021
Cocaine 80s
Jan 08th 2021
Sorry - you said record and I named an artist/group lol.
Jan 08th 2021
Baby Rose - To Myself
Jan 08th 2021
some great recommendations here
Jan 08th 2021
Zo! & Tigallo- Written All Over Your Face
Jan 08th 2021
man Love The 80s was a MOMENT
Jan 08th 2021
      I loved that project
Jan 08th 2021
           I put it on today for the first time in a few months....so warm
Jan 08th 2021
                me too, that's how it was fresh in my mind
Jan 08th 2021
                     Zo doesn't seem to be interested to do anymore non original work
Jan 08th 2021
                          they would kill I'm Dreaming by Christopher Williams
Jan 08th 2021
Elucid - Save Yourself
Jan 08th 2021
Madvillainy 2: The Madlib Remix
Jan 08th 2021
MUTINY "Semi-First Class Seat" (1980)
Jan 08th 2021
This is great, thanks!
Jan 09th 2021
      gloriously noisy is a great way to describe it.
Jan 09th 2021
Ian Kamau 'Vol. 3 Love and Other Struggles'
Jan 09th 2021

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18635 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Median - How Big Is Your World"
In response to Reply # 0

That song is incredible to me and just never gets old.

http://youtu.be/O1NXeeIYN60

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 04:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Oh this is beautiful. Didn't even know he dropped an album."
In response to Reply # 1

Gonna check this out in like 6 months when I'm done listening to nothing but DOOM. lol.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 05:56 PM

6. "He dropped 2"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Jan-07-21 05:58 PM by DJR

Median’s Relief, in like ‘07. How Big Is Your World was on that album.

And then “The Sender” in ‘11. Both good albums. He was definitely a more creative MC on the first album, in terms of the concepts he tried and the types of songs he did. But they’re both enjoyable albums.

There’s an EP called “The Path to Relief” which I want to say was out a few years before the first album finally dropped, that is really good too, if you can find it. Last I knew, “Median’s Relief” was his only album that’s streaming.

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 10:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Word thanks. I'll do some digging."
In response to Reply # 6

You're right, I looked today and "Median's Relief" is the only one streaming.

Did he work with 9th on all his albums or others too ?

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 10:33 PM

10. "RE: Word thanks. I'll do some digging."
In response to Reply # 9

Median’s Relief, I think 9th did 4 of them. Nicolay did 3, Khrysis did 3, Zo! did 1. There’s a few others I don’t really know on there.

The Sender - 5 9th tracks, 3 from Khrysis, then there’s some others like Fatin and S1. Similar production team to Charity Starts At Home, and this album also came out on FE Music around the same time as Phonte’s album. They seemed to be working heavily together at the time, as they were both featured on each other’s album a few times. Phonte and 9th were both “exec. producer” of The Sender.

The Path to Relief was all 9th beats other than 1 Khrysis and 1 Eccentric track.

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 10:53 PM

11. "Got curious if it was still out there, here’s the EP"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Jan-07-21 11:00 PM by DJR

http://youtu.be/tPzSjRjer6s

The Sender, I have the CD and it’s on my phone, but I’m sure that’s relatively easy to find still even though it’s not streaming.

Was curious about the EP though - was wondering if that might’ve slipped through the cracks of time which would’ve been a shame. Some classic material on there. Peak 9th era IMO. Visionary, Doing Dances, Comfortable, Median Alleviates the Drama....SMH. So good.

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 11:30 PM

12. "Damn man. Thanks for all this."
In response to Reply # 11

Can't believe I missed or overlooked this. I was still following Phonte and 9th pretty heavy around that time so I have no idea why I wouldn't have heard any of Median's stuff.

DJR
18635 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 04:45 PM

31. "No problem, yeah I think Median’s releases went under the radar"
In response to Reply # 12

It’s like he had a solid buzz after The Listening, as he had some classic songs on the NC State of Mind mixtape, and then had his EP. Then he was just off the radar for a few years before the album dropped. Then he seemed to be off the radar for years again, until he pooped back up with The Sender/Charity Starts At Home. It’s like he was never able to get or sustain any momentum. His projects are all good though.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 05:22 PM

32. "after Tigallo & Pooh, Median was the only JL MC I dug"
In response to Reply # 31

not that any of them were wack, they just didn't move me. Median's verse on Scars on Pooh's Sleepers was just stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I2R6JP5AFA

dude blacked out. and to my earlier point, the song should have ended before Scudda's verse lol

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

DJR
18635 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 06:22 PM

33. "LEGACY definitely had his moments IMO"
In response to Reply # 32
Fri Jan-08-21 06:41 PM by DJR

And yeah Median did go crazy on Scars, lol.

I like EA Floe and Sean Boog too, but I could see where everybody wouldn’t be feeling them. But I still like the first and 3rd Away Team albums a lot.

Chaundon has typically been better as a guest verse guy IMO. He ripped those verses on Chitlin Circuit 1.5 IMO.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Jan-09-21 10:38 AM

35. "forgot about Chaundon, he was nice too"
In response to Reply # 33

>I like EA Floe and Sean Boog too, but I could see where
>everybody wouldn’t be feeling them. But I still like the
>first and 3rd Away Team albums a lot.

I dug EA Floe's voice, just didn't move me with the lyrics

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

DJR
18635 posts
Sat Jan-09-21 11:20 AM

37. "RE: forgot about Chaundon, he was nice too"
In response to Reply # 35

>>I like EA Floe and Sean Boog too, but I could see where
>>everybody wouldn’t be feeling them. But I still like the
>>first and 3rd Away Team albums a lot.
>
>I dug EA Floe's voice, just didn't move me with the lyrics
>
>

Yeah, I don’t disagree with that. I wouldn’t say his lyrics typically “moved” me either, but at the same time they weren’t bad. I liked his content though, and one thing they all had going for them to me, is they were just relatable and likable on the mic. And the beats were always there.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 05:13 PM

5. "LOL...breh, we > < today"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 06:03 PM

7. "Lol, Fresh Breath was a great one too"
In response to Reply # 5

Probably my #3 joint off that album, after “Bright Individual” and “Special”.

As an aside, I saw on IG that Median was recording with Chaundon recently. Hopefully something comes out of that, but I was just glad to see that he’s making music.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 06:08 PM

8. "yeah, it's hard for me..."
In response to Reply # 7

but that's about my rough, top 5...Fresh Breath, Special, Bright Individual, Turn Ya On, Kiss the Sky

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:05 PM

23. "listening to the whole Median's Relief lp now"
In response to Reply # 1

Totally new to me and really scratching an itch right now.

Some real solid production on this, too.

-thebigfunk

DJR
18635 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 04:24 PM

30. "Yeah he only put out 2 1/2 projects, but never heard him on a bad beat"
In response to Reply # 23

Agreed - Median’s Relief is just a really good album, to me. L.E.G.A.C.Y. - Project Mayhem is another strong album out of that crew from back in the mid 00s too. The great tracks on that one are really great. LB flew under the mainstream radar, and then the rest of JL flew under LB’s radar. But there’s a lot of great music that came from that crew.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 04:47 PM

3. "Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter / Pink Moon"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-07-21 04:48 PM by Anonymous

These three albums never leave my phone.

It never fails that around late October, I just start playing them back to back throughout the winter.

Just love the simplistic, warm nature of the songwriting and compositions.

I know he has a pretty big cult following but I still feel his work isn’t praised enough.

You know those important scenes in great cinema where they use a great song to enhance the emotion? I feel like everyone of of his songs could be used for those purposes.

I refuse to pick just one. They’re all short albums so give them a spin back to back!

And to respond to your post, I absolutely love that album and agree with everything you said. I’ve tried to turn a few people onto that album and they always complain about her voice. *shrugs*

Long Lonely Road and Astral Planes are amazing.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jan-12-21 09:34 AM

40. "thanks so much for mentioning drake"
In response to Reply # 3

I haven't listened to these albums in at least a few years and they're absolutely perfect for right now. Complements the Valerie June record really well, too!

I agree that he falls in that weird space of critically-acclaimed yet curiously overlooked... he seems to go in cycles where he becomes a buzz name, interest bubbles, then dissipates for a while.

I think my favorite part of these records is they really reflect what you bring to them. You can hear deep sadness in them if that's where you're led; you can hear something more calm, meditative; you can hear happiness and wonder, too. It's tempting to project his life onto the music but I think, in this case, there is something to be said for really listening with that suspended for a bit.

Bryter Later is probably the least successful of the three, imo, even though it has two or three of my absolute favorites from his catalog. Can't choose between Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon, at least not today...

And glad you're on to that Valerie June record. If you haven't listened to her single from December yet, you should: https://youtu.be/b5QJ_nb-lLQ --- it's amazing.

-thebigfunk

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Jan-12-21 01:48 PM

41. "RE: thanks so much for mentioning drake"
In response to Reply # 40

I actually checked out the single based on your original post. Didn’t know she dropped anything.

The single and EP are great. Looking forward to her next album.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 05:13 PM

4. "Median - Fresh Breath....off The Sender album...."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpzLJwlBAQ

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 11:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "100% galcher"
In response to Reply # 0

lo-fi house mix from the early 2010s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUstEmuBNTQ
https://soundcloud.com/blowinguptheworkshop/galcher-lustwerk

good vibes. soft, dark, and warm. fall music. mayber winter music too. flows well (except for one part). some light house rapping that complements the instrumentals. i love the sound bank he uses. it's inviting and comforting. nothing is overpowering. works wonderfully as wallpaper music and rewards closer examination, a rare feat in music

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Tue Jan-12-21 12:32 AM

39. "nice pic"
In response to Reply # 13

his stuff really creates a mood conducive to chillin'.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Jeremy Steig - energy"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqX17zX-j4

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:12 AM

15. "Cocaine 80s"
In response to Reply # 0

I know they were well liked around here. And also know that their whole shtick was to kinda be the dusty, mysterious collective who dropped a quick but brilliant EP every year or so but man. This was such an insanely talented group of artists who should've (a) broken thru the mainstream barrier, and (b) should've continued making music beyond 2013 or whenever their last unannounced EP was.

There was so much potential there and I just wish more people would've/could've caught on sooner.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:21 AM

17. "Sorry - you said record and I named an artist/group lol."
In response to Reply # 15
Fri Jan-08-21 12:22 AM by Brew

If I had to pick one of their EPs it'd be Ghost Lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Qj71Vy1v0&list=PLCMMI0cr1bMdTIjOzGmvz88f8dZEYlRwc

If I had to pick one song it'd be either Six Ft. Over or Nameless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOC8ILdH8-U&list=PLCMMI0cr1bMdTIjOzGmvz88f8dZEYlRwc&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jQH8e9pZI

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:15 AM

16. "Baby Rose - To Myself"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-08-21 12:21 AM by Hitokiri

My favorite album of the last few years. The "cool kids" have known about her for a while and more and more meople have been coming around on it and her over the past few months. But I'm surprised a place like this has barely mentioned her.
Her voice is the first thing you'll notice, without a doubt. But if you keep listening to the project, the arrangements are really understated and beautiful. The outro for Pressure for example is gorgeous. The final chorus of Over... man. My favorite tracks though have to be Borderline, Ragrets, and In Your Arms. And Sold Out is an excellent opener.
It's a break-up album, so if you're not in the mood for that, you may wanna wait, but seriously, such a fantastic project.
I'm such a fan I flew to NYC to see her live a few weeks before quarantine hit.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 09:20 AM

18. "some great recommendations here"
In response to Reply # 0

got a full day of listening ahead of me!

-thebigfunk

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 10:01 AM

19. "Zo! & Tigallo- Written All Over Your Face"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_5vSK9sNk

The Ride Boys version is one of my favorite songs period, so this was a "ok now don't get too big for yo britches" moment but Tigallo pulled it off. adding D Brock was a nice touch, I've always dug his voice. but the kicker is at the end when they "preview" the 90s (which never happened, I think?) and they go into Intro's Come Inside and it's just perfection. Phonte is magic.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 11:58 AM

22. "man Love The 80s was a MOMENT"
In response to Reply # 19

Heck, all of Zo's Just Visiting projects too. Crazy You, Driving, Highways of My Life

and no, Love the 90s never happened. They coulda just added 3-4 more tracks to their version of Come Inside and Return of the Mack....wishful thinking

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:38 PM

25. "I loved that project"
In response to Reply # 22

really wish they had don't the 90s.
And that the 80s was on wax.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

CherNic
37156 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 02:06 PM

26. "I put it on today for the first time in a few months....so warm"
In response to Reply # 25

Like the original tracks are of course classics but Tay and Zo did what the fuck they needed to do. Especially on Human my GAWD

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 02:16 PM

27. "me too, that's how it was fresh in my mind"
In response to Reply # 26

and as much as I liked the version of Steppin' Out on just visiting, the version they did on Love The 80s was stank face funky. they should do the 90s. I have a remake of Jeff Redd's Giving My Love To You that I think they would kill if Zo! just added a little stank to my track

CherNic
37156 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 02:27 PM

28. "Zo doesn't seem to be interested to do anymore non original work"
In response to Reply # 27
Fri Jan-08-21 02:29 PM by CherNic

Which I get....but damn they were so good. Sometimes shit just works

edit okay we got 3 tracks lol, what else do we want on our fictitious Love The 90s?

Big hits? Lesser known hits? Slow jams? New Jack Swing? Who were the female vocalists...Sy, Carlitta, Yahzarah

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 02:49 PM

29. "they would kill I'm Dreaming by Christopher Williams"
In response to Reply # 28

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 10:44 AM

20. "Elucid - Save Yourself "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-08-21 10:45 AM by Kosa12

one of my favorite hip hop albums. rapping is top tier, production is very interesting and dark.

https://elucid.bandcamp.com/album/save-yourself

wrote this about it a while back: https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/2018/08/elucid-save-yourself-2016.html

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 10:57 AM

21. "Madvillainy 2: The Madlib Remix"
In response to Reply # 0

>

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Fri Jan-08-21 12:32 PM

24. "MUTINY "Semi-First Class Seat" (1980)"
In response to Reply # 0

Mutiny
"Semi-First Class Seat"
Funk Plus The One (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C1nYFkGE7A

There was a period about 10 years ago I was kinda obsessed with all things P-Funk, and I started collecting all the off shoots of the group. Jerome Brailey left Parliament-Funkadelic due to management disputes with George to create his own band Mutiny. This song is definitely my favorite as it has some P-Funk elements (being on the one of course), but it also incorporates the sound of the early eighties. That chorus, which has Jerome Brailey *almost* sounding like Charlie Wilson, is haunting and beautiful all at once.

So yeah. Semi First Class seat is my joint.

https://digife.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat Jan-09-21 11:14 AM

36. "This is great, thanks!"
In response to Reply # 24

Went ahead and put on Funk Plus the One from the beginning -- vibing on it from the first chord blasts of "Will It be Tomorrow?" --- it's gloriously noisy and funky all at once, loving it. It's got a lot of Funkadelic in it but still distinct. Looking forward to listening through the rest.

I kind of feel like this year might find me going down some sidemen rabbit holes... I've been in mostly new music mode for a few years now but when I get to shit like this, it reminds me of how fun it is to find these gems, whether they're well-known stuff I just haven't heard or lesser-known items that become secret favorites. P-Funk side projects/solo offshoots would be a great place to start... I know some of the obvious ones but there's a lot of ground I haven't traveled there.

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Sat Jan-09-21 03:17 PM

38. "gloriously noisy is a great way to describe it."
In response to Reply # 36

I dig the entire album.

The Quazar (1978) is worth checking out too.

I had an idea for a post actually where I'd post the artist,
and then people would post the side projects/bands that came from it.
For example I'm JUST as obsessed with the Miles Davis tree (Herbie Hancock, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report).
I think those connections are 1. great ways to explore new music
but more than that 2. just VERY interesting stories.

https://digife.com

reaction
Member since Aug 09th 2019
315 posts
Sat Jan-09-21 12:12 AM

34. "Ian Kamau 'Vol. 3 Love and Other Struggles'"
In response to Reply # 0

https://iankamau.bandcamp.com/album/vol-3-love-and-other-struggles-mixtape

I think he is in Canada's Top 5 MC's with Maestro, k-os, Shad and Saukrates. He's been on k-os albums but never gotten a lot of shine for his solo work which I think is incredible. He's currently working on his first album in 10 years which I'm really looking forward to.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3029592 Previous topic | Next topic