Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3028156

Subject: "Stankonia (Deluxe Edition) - OutKast (2020)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Stankonia (Deluxe Edition) - OutKast (2020)"

Surprised no one else made this post before now.

Have any of you checked out the streaming (and/or the physical) copy yet?

It seems to be remastered as well.

Haven't gotten through to the remixes yet, although I listened to the Zach de la Rocha BOB remix.

I think if the remix wasn't (over)hyped I would have been able to relax and enjoyed it more. Maybe the song would have been a hit then as rap-rock was still viable. I can't tell if the song is legitimately a good song or if my current lack of interest in rap-rock interferes with my pleasure.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wasn't feeling the 3 remixes
Nov 02nd 2020
Did it even need to be remastered?
Nov 02nd 2020
Def never heard any complaints there but
Nov 02nd 2020
Facts...
Nov 03rd 2020
they always had very good mixing and mastering!!
Nov 05th 2020
This Rolling Stone article said it was "remixed"
Nov 02nd 2020
      i just ran through the album once and it doesn't sound remastered at all
Nov 03rd 2020
           The original mastering still holds up
Nov 05th 2020
There's not a phyiscal copy. These publications are doing 0 research
Nov 03rd 2020
you know the Lesson hates the South
Nov 03rd 2020
im mostly bleh on deluxe albums
Nov 03rd 2020

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wasn't feeling the 3 remixes"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't realize it was remastered so I didn't listen to the rest.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 07:52 PM

2. "Did it even need to be remastered? "
In response to Reply # 1

OutKast’s stuff always sounded good IMO.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 07:55 PM

3. "Def never heard any complaints there but "
In response to Reply # 2

gotta do something to get people to buy the same album all over again \_(ツ)_/¯

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 11:40 AM

8. "Facts..."
In response to Reply # 2

Their mixes alwasy had a healthy balance of dynamics in the live instruments, vocals, and digital aspects

agentzero
Member since Apr 12th 2007
1907 posts
Thu Nov-05-20 05:06 AM

11. "they always had very good mixing and mastering!!"
In response to Reply # 2

To people like US, a record is a piece of history. A moment in time.
Most people don't get it.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 09:03 PM

4. "This Rolling Stone article said it was "remixed""
In response to Reply # 1

I assumed that to mean remastered but I'm no expert in music engineering. I could be wrong.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/outkast-stankonia-20th-anniversary-remixes-reissues-1072411/

hammam
Member since Nov 03rd 2011
398 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 12:58 AM

5. "i just ran through the album once and it doesn't sound remastered at all"
In response to Reply # 4

i also don't have the best speakers/headphones but idk, i don't think it's been remastered

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Thu Nov-05-20 12:56 AM

10. "The original mastering still holds up"
In response to Reply # 5

Like you, my headphone game isn't the best. I listened to Gasoline Dreams on Spotify both on the Deluxe album and the original album. The Deluxe one sounded a bit better but that could have been subjective and my ears fooling my mind.

The difference is slight if anything at all.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 10:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "There's not a phyiscal copy. These publications are doing 0 research"
In response to Reply # 0

Vinyl Me Please put out a new pressing. 20th Anniversary was a good occasion for them to do so, but it's not a deluxe version with remixes, despite what every single online publication is saying.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 11:25 AM

7. "you know the Lesson hates the South"
In response to Reply # 0

only slightly kidding.

I barely listened to this. It was a random drop considering they didn't do anything for the 20th of the first 3 albums. I listened to the 'new' version of So Fresh, So Clean with Snoop once but considering I barely listen to the original, it'll probably just be that one time lol

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 12:31 PM

9. "im mostly bleh on deluxe albums"
In response to Reply # 0

this is different than recent ones as it is an older album with some "new" material.

i did listen to the bob remix and wasnt a fan. i think they miscalculated which elements needed to stay and which needed to be remixed to work.

i did also listen to the so fresh so clean remix. i kind of liked it. its pretty much its own track which threw me off. i kind of just expected a new snoop verse. i didnt pay close attention i just remember i was surprised by the beat and i think the hook was different too.

both of those just came up while listening to music on youtube.

listening to ms jackson remix right now. its okay. it works but makes you want to listen to the original more than listen to the remix again.

i did get the VMP vinyl and was happy with it. enjoyed the album more than i have before. i dont think there was anything different in the mastering compared to previous pressings but i didnt own it on vinyl so cant compare the quality. i dont think i had listened to the album in full through speakers before and i think it definitely benefits from doing so.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3028156 Previous topic | Next topic