Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3027962

Subject: "Rakim - The 18th Letter is under appreciated" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 07:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rakim - The 18th Letter is under appreciated"

Crazy opener
Dope single
2 Preemo bangers
2 Pete Rock bangers
Remember That
The Mystery

What? People were mad at the joints for the ladies?

Those two are dope too

I’ll agree that he didn’t need the Guess Who’s Back Remixes...

And he didn’t need to individually track and list the skits...

But shit...top to bottom this shit is dope!

Did I forget to mention When I’m Flowin’?

Nah...but that shit is so dope I had to mention it again!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yup. Great album that holds up
Oct 26th 2020
It's the best out of his solo work
Oct 26th 2020
Eminem became exactly this in the latter part of his career.
Oct 27th 2020
      I would disagree with that a little though
Oct 27th 2020
"18th Letter" Was Good But It Wasn't What People Wanted From Him
Oct 26th 2020
good album. hip hop had moved past Ra by this point in
Oct 26th 2020
underrated and under appreciated
Oct 27th 2020
still an amazing album experience
Oct 28th 2020
It’s solid. I remember being a bit disappointed when
Oct 29th 2020
I need to go back to it
Oct 29th 2020
I like the album in general.
Oct 29th 2020

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18638 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 07:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yup. Great album that holds up "
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 08:20 PM

2. "It's the best out of his solo work"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a shame none of the singles caught listeners' attention because it is a solid 4 1/4 star project.

It's an album for the heads. At the time, it felt lacking that there wasn't a big single like Know the Ledge or I Ain't No Joke. That being said, his lyrics were as good as at any other time.

I'd love it if he made another album this good in 2020.

It's a shame that time has forgotten him in many ways. This is meant in the best way but he's a product of a time that doesn't exist anymore - an MC who focuses solely on his craft and isn't interested in personal branding or leveraging his notoriety into success in another field of entertainment. His public modesty is refreshing and much needed, but selfishly it would bring happiness to my life to know he's still releasing dope new music.

#GOAT

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Oct-27-20 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Eminem became exactly this in the latter part of his career."
In response to Reply # 2

>an MC who focuses solely on his craft
>and isn't interested in personal branding or leveraging his
>notoriety into success in another field of entertainment.

A hermit who only cares about getting better at putting words together. It's just too bad that the product he puts out is absolutely abhorrent.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Oct-27-20 10:00 AM

7. "I would disagree with that a little though"
In response to Reply # 6

Perhaps Rakim focused on solely his craft but his craft was predicated on his style and how he projected his image.

His whole persona revolved around everyone thinking he was “the coolest”.

Eminem really doesn’t use that as the basis of his craft.

With that said, I agree that Rakim was a bit forgotten about in 97-98 but I don’t think it’s because he was just another MC and others passed him out like DJ said below.

It’s more about people just not fully valuing what he brought to the game anymore.

At that point you needed to combine skill with commercial appeal which is why Nas, Jay, Biggie, Pun etc were popular.

So I can see why people maybe wanted a big single which is probably what they though Guess Who’s Back would be.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 10:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. ""18th Letter" Was Good But It Wasn't What People Wanted From Him"
In response to Reply # 0

Rakim was always a tid bit ahead of his time, and when he was suppose to release his first solo album without Eric B. aka his 5th album in 1995, MCA Records got sold & changed under the Universal Music Group, when all those people got fired & three to four songs got leaked ("Remember", "Shades Of Black", & "Once Upon A Rhyme", "I Get Visual"), so Universal scrapped that album and wanted him to record a new material for UMG which eventually became "18th Letter"; surprisingly they kept "Remember That" from the old sessions.

Even though most would never want to tarnish Rakim's legacy to me Rakim became one of those emcees who wasn't in a class of his own anymore, it was a lot of talented emcees out in 97/98, between Loud Records & Rawkus Records it was the time of dope underground artists were getting their shine and with dope producers to match, and to me Rakim got lost in that mix of thinking he was the leader of the pack when he was now just another kat in the crowd.

Yeah "18th Letter" had production from Premier & Pete, but so did a lot of other rappers, it was the norm to have one of those guys producing a track for a rapper/emcee, to me the album was solid but lacked something special, to me those remixes at the end should've been left off, a few of the old leaked songs should've been on there especially "Various Shades Of Black", "Stay A While" & "When I'm Flowin'" was too long both should've been three minutes tops, plus he needed an uptempo song on there.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 10:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "good album. hip hop had moved past Ra by this point in"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-26-20 10:46 PM by tariqhu

his career. I still really dug this album. rhymes were dope.

that suave house remix was a good look. it gave him a diff background to paint over.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

spitfire
Charter member
1510 posts
Tue Oct-27-20 07:31 AM

5. "underrated and under appreciated "
In response to Reply # 0

i kind of put it on the myth that Ra had become by 97, 98. That was an impossible standard to live up to. But i really loved that album and still do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://vintagesoulmusic.tumblr.com
http://vintagehiphopmusic.tumblr.com
http://onetwann.tumblr.com

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Oct-28-20 05:39 PM

8. "still an amazing album experience"
In response to Reply # 0

the way he does what he does is timeless, he's been on point for 35 years

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 07:12 PM

9. "It’s solid. I remember being a bit disappointed when "
In response to Reply # 0

it was first released as there were a few ho hum tracks and the vibe wasn’t as exciting as I was hoping. But yeah, it’s got several bangers.

Related question, how did/do people feel about the follow up, The Master? I didn’t give it nearly as much burn as the 18th Letter but this post made me revisit it. I’m enjoying this one a lot. Not as polished as 18th Letter but some fun tracks and he seems a little looser on it. When I Be On The Mic might be my favorite Rakim solo joint. Premo made a timeless one right there. It’s a good album overall, maybe a little too long.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 08:59 PM

10. "I need to go back to it"
In response to Reply # 9

Honestly, at the time, I remember thinking that outside of the two Preemo joints, the production was terrible.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 09:05 PM

11. "I like the album in general."
In response to Reply # 9

his rhyming has never fallen off. needed to be shorter tho and more uptempo beats. he kills when I b on the mic.

I'd have to listen again to see what I'd cut, but I remember feeling like it was too long.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Lobby The Lesson topic #3027962 Previous topic | Next topic