Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3027668

Subject: "Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof" Previous topic | Next topic
DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof"

It deserves its own post. This might be album of the year.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the production is great
Oct 16th 2020
This is definitely special. AOTY contender for sure.
Oct 16th 2020
Amazingly solid album.
Oct 16th 2020
RE: Amazingly solid album.
Oct 16th 2020
RE: Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof
Oct 16th 2020
Oct 16th 2020
Oct 16th 2020
Doooope
Oct 17th 2020
Yup! Benny just EATS any beat
Oct 18th 2020
i don't like hit-boy's beats
Oct 17th 2020
yeah hit boy is generic. no distinct sound or identity.
Oct 17th 2020
he's a bit like tory lanez
Oct 22nd 2020
Been waiting for this. Haven't listened yet.
Oct 17th 2020
This is my AOTY
Oct 18th 2020
BIG GRISELDA...
Oct 18th 2020
Oct 19th 2020
I'm begging you guys
Oct 20th 2020
My man, get over it.
Oct 20th 2020
i might need to go back to it
Oct 20th 2020
I listen to and like Boldy
Oct 20th 2020
RE: I'm begging you guys
Oct 20th 2020
RE: I'm begging you guys
Oct 22nd 2020
my boy keeps trying to put me on to him
Oct 22nd 2020
This is fire. Maybe my fav Griselda album yet.
Oct 26th 2020

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 04:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the production is great"
In response to Reply # 0

i gotta say i dont think its in the same category as SOT vol 3. i know a lot of people say benny is a great lyricist but after listening to the new thought then going to the benny...eh

hes not bad but the beats are better than the rhymes. still, its a really good album. right now i have it as a top 20 project for the year, if you take out EPs then top 15.

definitely worth a listen and there are definitely some great tracks on it. no bad tracks. some good, some really good.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 04:54 PM

2. "This is definitely special. AOTY contender for sure."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm still not 100% certain it's better than the conway though. I need to give it a few more spins.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 06:28 PM

3. "Amazingly solid album."
In response to Reply # 0

I hope physical copies of this are available. And soon.

Pretty amazing how cohesive this is. Fairly short album that doesn't feel short because of his sharp the lyrics are and how flawless the beats are.

This definitely ranks among the best albums from the Griselda crew. I wonder how long it took for Hit Boy and Benny to make this.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

cheesecake
Member since Mar 11th 2003
596 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 08:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: Amazingly solid album."
In response to Reply # 3

Flawless is a good way to describe these beats, lol. I'm really impressed by how clean they sound while still retaining grittiness of sample-sounding sonics. It's as perfect a balance as I've heard in this new era of production

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 07:31 PM

4. "RE: Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof"
In response to Reply # 0

>It deserves its own post. This might be album of the year.

It does deserve its own post. Its a great album. The Conway or Stove God albums are AOTY though

DJR
18637 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 07:48 PM

5. "RE: Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof"
In response to Reply # 4

>>It deserves its own post. This might be album of the year.
>
>It does deserve its own post. Its a great album. The Conway
>or Stove God albums are AOTY though

Yeah....I don’t necessarily agree but won’t argue that either! Those are great too. Conway and Benny both really came through. They’re neck and neck. Stove God was great too, I gotta go back to that.

cheesecake
Member since Mar 11th 2003
596 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 08:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof"
In response to Reply # 4

I give BoP the edge over Conway's album because it's more focused. More consistent/streamlined, better songwriting, sequencing, and mixing. It knows it's lane and doesn't over reach. It accomplishes what Griselda has been criticized for throughout it's entire stretch, which is to make something more polished while retaining what makes the "griselda" sound so appealing.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 10:07 AM

8. "Doooope"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Oct-17-20 10:08 AM by Anonymous

I was waiting for Benny to mix it up a little.

I like the Griselda shit but those dark ass beats over the course of several albums wear thin on me. I like more versatility and I think he was able to strike a good balance here. The contrast of the music and the content works perfectly to me.

Not saying this is completely outside of his lane because he has recorded over similar production in the past but this is the lane I waiting for him to go completely to.

To me, he’s the type of MC that can make a certified classic because he has that rare ability to maintain his rapping style over any type of beat and with any type of concept. This isn’t that certified classic but I believe he has it in him.

DJR
18637 posts
Sun Oct-18-20 09:51 AM

12. "Yup! Benny just EATS any beat"
In response to Reply # 8

>To me, he’s the type of MC that can make a certified classic
>because he has that rare ability to maintain his rapping style
>over any type of beat and with any type of concept. This
>isn’t that certified classic but I believe he has it in
>him.

He’s a beast. And he can do more than just the drug talk, which he’s shown before and shows here.

hammam
Member since Nov 03rd 2011
398 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 04:16 PM

9. "i don't like hit-boy's beats"
In response to Reply # 0

they're not "bad"
but all his beats sound like facismiles of other producers i enjoy
i don't know what his "sound" or if he even has a sound
he can do a little bit of everything to an acceptable point, but it's never exceptional

benny's rapping hasn't dipped at all but i feel about this project the same way i feel about the nas album...it's cool. not touching tana talk 3 though.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 05:51 PM

10. "yeah hit boy is generic. no distinct sound or identity."
In response to Reply # 9

nothing super wack but nothing thats gonna make your neck snap either.

i do think these dudes shine the most when they rap over beats by someone ofher than daringer. i know a lot of folks on here fuck with that production but it gets monotonous quick imo.

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 02:32 PM

23. "he's a bit like tory lanez"
In response to Reply # 9

meaning obviously very talented and skilled but has a tough time carving out a sound of his own. he's better at approximating existing styles and sounds

>they're not "bad"
>but all his beats sound like facismiles of other producers i
>enjoy
>i don't know what his "sound" or if he even has a sound
>he can do a little bit of everything to an acceptable point,
>but it's never exceptional
>
>benny's rapping hasn't dipped at all but i feel about this
>project the same way i feel about the nas album...it's cool.
>not touching tana talk 3 though.

same. the rapping is great but the beats aren't moving me so i didn't enjoy it on the first listen and i don't want to revisit it

there is something about the mixing of this project that feels off to me. the samples sound like all the life was compressed and/or EQ'd out of them. no heft or weight to them. thin. tinny. not enjoyable to listen to at all

tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 07:13 PM

11. "Been waiting for this. Haven't listened yet."
In response to Reply # 0

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"rick ross got old african woman swag" (c)nayaa

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Sun Oct-18-20 01:36 PM

13. "This is my AOTY"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't been hooked on an album like this in YEARS.

Favorite tracks are "One Way Flight", "Legend", "Thank God I Made It" and "New Streets" but there isn't a track on here I dislike. The only song I really skip is "Timeless" after Benny's verse. Not that Wayne and Sean ruin it or anything, they just kind of feel out of place on a Griselda album, even if it's hardly a traditional Griselda sounding album.

My only real critiques are 1) the skits at the end of the title track and "Over The Limit", if rappers really feel they need skits in 2020 they could at least have the decency to make them separate tracks so they can more easily be avoided.

And 2) and I say this as a BIG Rick Ross fan... It's awkward having him as a feature when those Griselda dudes constantly call out studio gangsters, and Benny even raps later on this very album "I live that life, but y'all only gangster on iTunes"

I've listened to this front to back 10 times at least with the majority of tracks finding their way on my 2020 playlist, and a lot of solid additions to my Griselda playlist. It's my favorite Griselda release, my favorite album of the year so far, and obviously it's very early but if this isn't in my top 5 at the end of the decade then that means it was a hell of a decade.

9/10.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Sun Oct-18-20 09:24 PM

14. "BIG GRISELDA..."
In response to Reply # 0

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 02:35 PM

15. "RE: Benny the Butcher - Burden of Proof"
In response to Reply # 0

>It deserves its own post. This might be album of the year.

Starting with WWCD and ending with this, Griselda has had an amazing year. There’s crews who don’t have this many good songs in their whole run. And if WSG is ‘the wack one’, he might be among the better ‘wack ones’ ever cuz he stays picking great beats and he can and will turn it on to make sure he doesn’t get totally roasted. I’m pleased with these dudes even if they all stopped right now. Hopefully they don’t!

I’ll confess here, I didn’t listen to Lulu as much as I should’ve. I ran through it right after Alfredo yesterday and wow. And because YouTube Music was onto me, they went right into Tana Talk 3 afterwards.

Side: my favorite verse over the last year or so is still Roc on Richard Gear tho. It’s a master class and more folks should love it.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 04:18 PM

16. "I'm begging you guys"
In response to Reply # 0

Please spend some time with Manger on McNichols by Boldly James.

At least from "Mommy Dearest" on.

It is hands down better than anything on Griselda that I've heard.

The concepts, subject matter, production, emotion etc...its fucking amazing.

If you don't like that type of rap, I get it. (Ironically, I gave Boldly another shot because Jamal Bufford (Buff 1) shouted him out as one of his favorite rappers)

But anyone who thinks these Griselda dudes are making classics really needs to spend more time with this.

If you like these monotone, one note dudes there is no reason not to love this album.

**I posted in here because I just don't get the love this Benny record is getting. I was bored by the 4th song and went back to Black Thought. And like someone in here pointed out...Rick Ross?? lol

I really think you guys will dig it if you spend time with it. Headphones strongly recommended.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 04:35 PM

17. "My man, get over it."
In response to Reply # 16

I don't understand why you keep coming in threads complaining about people enjoying music that you aren't feeling.

I just listened to "Mommy Dearest", really loved the production, but I have the same complaint I had when listening to The Price of Tea in China, Boldy is too monotonous and boring. I dig a few tracks on that album, but I can't listen to it and stay engaged over the course of the entire project. I love the production on it, I wish I liked Boldy more, but after several tries he's just not clicking.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 04:45 PM

18. "i might need to go back to it"

i have it noted as mid but i think i only listened once since it wasnt on all platforms at the time.

DJR
18637 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 04:45 PM

19. "I listen to and like Boldy"
Tue Oct-20-20 04:52 PM by DJR

Benny is better. So is Conway. IMO.

Didn’t know about that Manger on McNichols though. I see it’s on spotify - it definitely wasn’t there when The Versace Tape dropped. I’ll check it out, thanks.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 05:20 PM

20. "RE: I'm begging you guys"

I have listened to Boldy. I think I get it. I’d much rather see folks swinging in on ropes like Donkey Kong Jr to tell me to listen to Roc Marciano or Stove Cooks. I’m onto them too. I’ll even check out Pounds448 who is also doing a similar thing.

Of all of these, I’m most confused that Roc Marciano isn’t more adorned with recent praise. That Richard Gear verse is the one I’ll keep bringing up. It makes me miss Source’s Hiphop quotable. It has just about everything that all of these dudes are trying to do and it’s top shelf.

>Please spend some time with Manger on McNichols by Boldly
>James.
>
>At least from "Mommy Dearest" on.
>
>It is hands down better than anything on Griselda that I've
>heard.
>
>The concepts, subject matter, production, emotion etc...its
>fucking amazing.
>
>
>If you don't like that type of rap, I get it. (Ironically, I
>gave Boldly another shot because Jamal Bufford (Buff 1)
>shouted him out as one of his favorite rappers)
>
>
>But anyone who thinks these Griselda dudes are making classics
>really needs to spend more time with this.
>
>If you like these monotone, one note dudes there is no reason
>not to love this album.
>
>
>**I posted in here because I just don't get the love this
>Benny record is getting. I was bored by the 4th song and went
>back to Black Thought. And like someone in here pointed
>out...Rick Ross?? lol
>
>I really think you guys will dig it if you spend time with it.
> Headphones strongly recommended.
>
>
>
>

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:41 AM

21. "RE: I'm begging you guys"

Weird pivot upcoming:

I have been walking around thinking and saying that Kendrick Lamar is the best overall now rapper in a walk since good kid. I listened to TPAB again recently to test some new headphones. Uh yeah. I’m fine with that assessment still. When I think of ‘rapper that can do everything’, I think of him first. And yeah, Thundercat, Terrace, and everyone involved with the music LACED him ridiculously on Butterfly. But still, he killed it as much as anyone has killed anything in the last decade at least. He’s special and like so many other special ones, I’m not sure if he’s appreciated enough. It got a little cool for a subset of folks to complain about him and I’m not here for it at all.

I bring this up cuz I don’t think I need every rapper to try to do everything. That’s the great thing about the Curren$y styled ‘this is my lane’ folks to me. They figured out something they can do well and they do the fuck out of it. This is fine if that’s what dudes have. I prefer that to every rapper ruining half of their albums trying to be Pac and Big type dudes who can go off over everything with everybody. Do we all remember that era? Where Memphis Bleek would be on weird songs with southern-sounding beats? Jada shows up with a bunch of folks singing through his album..shit, he’s still doing that and pissing me off.

I’m fine with the Griselda dudes spreading their wings a little bit to prove to themselves that they don’t have to Daringer and Alchemist it up for 34 minutes every single time out. But I don’t need Conway on a Teyana Taylor song anytime soon. And I wouldn’t want Roc Marciano on a Ella Mai remix either. He’d find a way to kill it cuz he’s great but I don’t need it!

>
>Please spend some time with Manger on McNichols by Boldly
>James.
>
>At least from "Mommy Dearest" on.
>
>It is hands down better than anything on Griselda that I've
>heard.
>
>The concepts, subject matter, production, emotion etc...its
>fucking amazing.
>
>
>If you don't like that type of rap, I get it. (Ironically, I
>gave Boldly another shot because Jamal Bufford (Buff 1)
>shouted him out as one of his favorite rappers)
>
>
>But anyone who thinks these Griselda dudes are making classics
>really needs to spend more time with this.
>
>If you like these monotone, one note dudes there is no reason
>not to love this album.
>
>
>**I posted in here because I just don't get the love this
>Benny record is getting. I was bored by the 4th song and went
>back to Black Thought. And like someone in here pointed
>out...Rick Ross?? lol
>
>I really think you guys will dig it if you spend time with it.
> Headphones strongly recommended.
>
>
>
>

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 01:46 PM

22. "my boy keeps trying to put me on to him"

but he bores me

i think it's the voice/flow

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 03:00 PM

24. "This is fire. Maybe my fav Griselda album yet."
In response to Reply # 0

I think Benny is my favorite out of that crew. The production on this is pretty good. I usually listen to Griselda stuff once and don't end up coming back to it. I remember liking the last Benny album more than usual too.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Lobby The Lesson topic #3027668 Previous topic | Next topic