Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3026732

Subject: "Big Sean - Detroit 2" Previous topic | Next topic
murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Fri Sep-04-20 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Big Sean - Detroit 2"

I was never the biggest Big Sean fan, but this is a dope project and it helped me to realize a few things in comparison to the "others" (kenny, cole, drake)

He has an ability to switch flows and speeds effortlessly. Technically, as a rapper, I don't think many are as skilled at that as he is right now. It's not like he's complex or hard to follow, but it'll seem like he's having a conversation and before you know it you're bobbing your head because he's switched cadence on you, and you're grooving. To me, right now, he raps better than Drake.

He's efficient. I wouldn't say that they are all-world quotable bars, but there ain't much filler, he's always saying *something*. Maybe it's always been like that, but I found myself listening. like, really listening to what he's saying, and i appreciate that he wasn't wasting my time. Not that Cole is a time waster to me, but project for project, it feels like less filler on this one, for me at least.

I still feel like Kenny got him beat due to creativity, but it's a lot closer now than i would have admitted earlier.

anyway, it's a dope album, check it out

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
overlong and boring as shit... he's just mediocre all around, like a
Sep 06th 2020
I'm a fan now
Sep 06th 2020
RE: Big Sean - Detroit 2
Sep 06th 2020
I want Big Sean to be great
Sep 08th 2020

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Sep-06-20 02:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "overlong and boring as shit... he's just mediocre all around, like a "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-06-20 02:45 AM by Hellyeah

modern day fabolous

JtothaI
Charter member
17132 posts
Sun Sep-06-20 08:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm a fan now"
In response to Reply # 0

Never really gave him much thought, listened to this entire thing. First half is def stronger, but he is saying something in just about every song.

All I can think of to describe it is "younger mans, grown man rap" It's very reflective, inspiring at points and his cadence and flow are very listenable, even at faster cadences.

I'll prob go back to the catalog to see what I may have been missing.

drhodes777
Member since Jul 04th 2013
27 posts
Sun Sep-06-20 01:39 PM

3. "RE: Big Sean - Detroit 2"
In response to Reply # 0

i listened to this yesterday, and it is petty good. I never thought of him as "great", but I believe he is underrated a bit, definitely better than mediocre. His album from a few years back (Dark Sky Paradise?) was actually really good.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Tue Sep-08-20 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I want Big Sean to be great"
In response to Reply # 0

But this one didn't get it done.

He needs one of those 8 song top to bottom bangers and just showcase his dense lyricist style. No filler, no skits (although I liked the Detroit 2 skits), very few guest spots if any.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

Lobby The Lesson topic #3026732 Previous topic | Next topic