Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3026231

Subject: "new speakers/components - input needed" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Thu Aug-06-20 02:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new speakers/components - input needed"

So... when your partner/spouse says, "You know, maybe you should get some new speakers, or a new amp, or whatever to upgrade the stereo" ... you don't argue.

And even if you're the one that keeps the finances in check and you *know* you probably shouldn't go too big, if she throws out a number that's on the higher end of what you'd originally pick ... again, you don't argue.

So I have money and endorsement to build a new system, lol, and I'm looking for help.

Background: I have a component system but very cheap, most of it purchased used, none of it especially good: amp, record player, cd player, bookshelf speakers in pretty rough shape, and an oversized but at this point pretty worthless sub. I'm ready to replace everything but not necessarily all at once... CD player and sub are lower priority, speakers and record player at the top.

Not an audiophile by any stretch and kind of cringe at the jargon but have always admired a good system when I've had a chance to listen on one. Not wanting to go down the rabbit hole too deep (no tube amps here) but am willing to spend a bit of cash -- ideally capping around 1000 - 2000 for the main items but might be convinced to go a fair amount higher.

I was ready to go traditional amp and speakers route but am intrigued by some of these more recent powered bookshelf units, like the Klipsch The Fives: https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-fives-powered-speakers

They'd get around need for an amp, play well with pretty much any component, and play nice with bluetooth and hdmi out of the box. No new amp means more money for a new record player (and that's probably what I'm most excited about, that and the speakers). These are pretty new though and I can't find very many non-industry reviews -- can't decide if they're overpriced or not. (There are some similar bookshelf speakers from Audioengine that have pretty good reviews for my price range.)

Looking at other non-powered Klipsch options, too, alongside some other brands -- but am already getting research fatigue, especially since hearing speakers right now will be a challenge.

Anyhow, anyone have any general thoughts? Speakers, record players, or other components - let's say no more than 1k each, but ideally lower - you've been thinking about or enjoying?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: new speakers/components - input needed
Aug 06th 2020
thanks
Aug 07th 2020
Can't say i have much advice
Aug 06th 2020
RE: Can't say i have much advice
Aug 07th 2020
you can do a lot with that budget, and props on having the wife pre-appr...
Aug 07th 2020

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Aug-06-20 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: new speakers/components - input needed"
In response to Reply # 0

In this price range, I'd check out the recommendations on The Wirecutter. They are not audiphile nuts, and it will save you the hassle of used. Especially because good vintage stereo equipment isn't all that cheap anymore.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Aug-07-20 07:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 1

I'd looked at their picks a bit but not super close -- I'll double back to them. I wish they had some floor speaker picks and a 2020 update..

-thebigfunk

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Thu Aug-06-20 05:08 PM

2. "Can't say i have much advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Congrats on this turn of events though! lol

Would have been nice if it was a few weeks ago while Klipsch had so many items half off.

My whole set up is maybe $1000. AVR, Turntable, 5.1 speakers.

I definitely would like to know what you end up going with. I hear it's recommended to spend half your budget on speakers.

Might be good to make a list of priorities for the system. You're bound to have some trade offs so if you know what are must haves in the system and what doesn't matter then it can start to narrow down your choices.

Good luck!

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Aug-07-20 08:01 AM

4. "RE: Can't say i have much advice"
In response to Reply # 2

>Would have been nice if it was a few weeks ago while Klipsch
>had so many items half off.

That's actually around the time she mentioned it. I started looking then and was really tempted to jump in while the sale was going on... but had to cool down and remind myself that if I'm going to spend money I need to be smart with it, lol.

>Might be good to make a list of priorities for the system.
>You're bound to have some trade offs so if you know what are
>must haves in the system and what doesn't matter then it can
>start to narrow down your choices.

This is a good idea - think I started to do this mentally but it would good to lay it out more thoroughly. Thanks and will keep you posted!

-thebigfunk

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8427 posts
Fri Aug-07-20 06:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "you can do a lot with that budget, and props on having the wife pre-appr..."
In response to Reply # 0

are you looking to get amp+speakers+turntable? Or more than that. I've got a pair of Kef Q350 and a Rotel A10, sounds very clean though I feel like I might need a sub one of these days, I feel like when I listen to jazz on vinyl it could be punched up just a tad.

Once you have an idea on what you want, I highly recommend accessories4less.com. Sounds like a janky early 2000s cell phone store, but they stock tons of premium brands and the couple things I've gotten from them were in perfect shape. I know they're an official Kef reseller, and probably for others too. I've also had decent luck on eBay.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Lobby The Lesson topic #3026231 Previous topic | Next topic