Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3025994

Subject: "New Lupe EP - HOUSE // swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"New Lupe EP - HOUSE // swipe"

Thanks in part to the acute creative inspiration brought on by COVID-19 shutdowns and an inspiringly goal-oriented tweet, Lupe Fiasco fans have a new five-song EP to devour on Friday.

"Everything is manmade, and what's more dangerous than that?" Virgil Abloh says at the end of EP opener "HOMME MADE," which—like the entirety of the project—floats through the listener's brain atop production from Kaelin Ellis.

As studied Lupe fans already know, the producer tweeted about Lupe back in May, ultimately leading to the Grammy winner freestyling over one of his beats before sharing the results mere hours later. From there, the two continued their back-and-forth on Twitter before the complementary collaborations started building into what would later be polished into the HOUSE EP.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Lupe Fiasco (@lupefiasco) on Jul 23, 2020 at 7:03pm PDT

The striking cover art is a painting by Peter Gellatly of the famous Glass House. Gellatly, the father of Lupe’s friend Sky, recently died due to the coronavirus and is commemorated in the EP's liner notes.

"Music colored my father's life, and so did it mine … The grace of God brought music into my family," Sky Gellatly says in the liner notes, embedded below. "The love of music from all walks of life kept it there."

https://www.complex.com/music/2020/07/lupe-fiasco-kaelin-ellis-house-ep

werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Lupe EP - HOUSE // swipe
Jul 26th 2020
HA!
Jul 26th 2020
Someone on Reddit Sneakers sub I’m in...
Jul 26th 2020

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sun Jul-26-20 06:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: New Lupe EP - HOUSE // swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

Yesterday my wife and I were running some errands, I put Spotify on shuffle. She knows Friday is new release day and that a good chunk of my weekend free time is listening to new stuff. She asked what I'd listened to so far and I said I hadn't been in much of a listening mood, had only gotten to the new Lupe.

"How is it?"

"It's good. The first song is about dinosaurs."

"Like, about DINOSAURS, or about dinosaurs indirectly, or as a metaphor?"

"Haven't listened close enough yet but he was definitely naming dinosaurs... And he roared. Like a dinosaur."

She laughed and I told her she should put it on.

She laughed through the whole song, and the rest of the ep.

Not in a mean way. She just found a lot of his lines funny.

And so I listened closer... And Lupe's fucking hilarious.

Why did I not notice how funny dude is before? I mean, I've laughed to a lot of his shit - but once you start listening for it, it's everywhere. I've been trying to think of a stand-up comedian to liken him to but have come up short. Someone with a sense of the awkward and surreal though - like an Eddie Izzard.

This has been your semi-regular reminder that it's good to listen to music with others. They hear it in ways you don't. And that can benefit you in ways immeasurable.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

maro
Charter member

2. "HA!"
In response to Reply # 1

Was thinking the same thing when I heard Dinosaurs. As in.... Of course Lupe did a song about Dinosaurs, makes perfect sense. And let's be honest.... shit knocks too.

werd.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Jul-26-20 09:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Someone on Reddit Sneakers sub I’m in..."
In response to Reply # 0

posted about the Shoes track, a few weeks ago...so I was aware of that one. I think LF95 is my favorite.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Lobby The Lesson topic #3025994 Previous topic | Next topic