Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3025573

Subject: "It's odd how much talent is required to be wack..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Jul-04-20 07:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"It's odd how much talent is required to be wack..."
Sat Jul-04-20 07:03 PM by obsidianchrysalis

Like, take your average 'wack' rapper. Someone noticed the rapper had some talent, and likely the musician had to spend hours and weeks and months and years on developing a style and then get seen and spend months if not longer recording music. Hustle and drive were required to form professional relationships within the music industry. And enthusiasm and persistence had to be summoned to talk to media members and perform on tour.

And this is all to put out some two or three-star album that becomes a thing for a week and then is forgotten.

I say all of this to say that the margin between a great artist and a guy who 'ends up working for UPS' (c) Biggie is more slight than it seems.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
sometimes super talented/dedicated dudes get nowhere
Jul 05th 2020
That too. Very true.
Jul 05th 2020
It's All About Who You Know In The Industry, Not How Good You Are
Jul 06th 2020
now more than ever, the most crucial trait to have is persistence
Jul 06th 2020
I don't know if it's really "talent." But it certainly takes work ethic.
Jul 06th 2020
packaging...and how it is fed to you..
Jul 06th 2020

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Sun Jul-05-20 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "sometimes super talented/dedicated dudes get nowhere"
In response to Reply # 0

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sun Jul-05-20 06:03 PM

2. "That too. Very true."
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 01:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's All About Who You Know In The Industry, Not How Good You Are"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been told that statement a million times when I ask A&Rs, label reps, studio engineers, etc., it's all about who you know that works in the industry, a record label's owner, co-owner, ceo, exec. will always look out for their relatives and friends, or friend of a friend when it comes to getting a record deal, if they can at least garner up a crowd or an audience & fanbase, then they can prove that even if they sound terrible that they have the potential to sell records, which is basically the bottom line to most industry people.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 06:26 AM

4. "now more than ever, the most crucial trait to have is persistence "
In response to Reply # 0

Almost every single rapper who pops now typically gets on with one song that explodes online. Some seem poised to build a career off that first hit song, because they’re persistent (Roddy Rich). Others seem poised to blow their money and disappear after their first hit, because they’re lazy (Blueface). The focus to keep going - the same focus that yielded the first hit to begin with - often dissipates at the first sign of success. It’s the ones who actually manage to grind even harder after they’re noticed that seem to thrive in this current climate.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I don't know if it's really "talent." But it certainly takes work ethic."
In response to Reply # 0

(though a lot less than it used to)

Back when the record industry was a functional thing, it certainly took a lot of hard work and dedication to get to a point where artists could get their album out.

That "gone in 15 minutes" artist busted his/her ass to get there. And had a dedicated team behind them.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 06:44 PM

6. "packaging...and how it is fed to you.."
In response to Reply # 0

Sometimes it doesn't matter how dope it is unless it is presented to us in a certain way. Jazzy Jeff had an interlude on that spoke on how artists love to be second, because they wait on if an original style that hits or not. And then they follow suit. It made a lot of sense, because us as the consumer tends to be the same way at times too. I see it a LOT in here

Lobby The Lesson topic #3025573 Previous topic | Next topic