Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3024977

Subject: "quincy (documentary)" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Jun-04-20 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"quincy (documentary)"

On Netflix - I hadn't seen this yet (it's from 2018). Definitely worth watching if anyone else hasn't checked it out.

It's a little hagiographic/rose-colored - definitely celebratory, kind of like that Pavarotti doc that Ron Howard did last year -- although this is much, much better than that was. They don't gloss over Quincy's family and marriage struggles, which I appreciated, even if they could have dived a bit deeper -- I didn't want a tabloid piece but I think there is probably a bit more ground to be covered that is relevant to who he is as a person and an artist there?

But the goodness: framing it with the African American Smithsonian special was brilliant because it really puts some social context to his life's work and his personal bio. At the beginning, when he receives the invitation to plan it, he starts spouting a list of people to invite and literally every one of those mfs show up down to Colin Powell -- every where he went, he's just *that* guy that everyone knows, everyone has to say hi to, everyone has a history with, from the biggest established artists to the up and comers.

Seeing him talk real with Kendrick was cool, as well as Dre at the start.

But I think the best part about the whole thing was just seeing the total evolution and drive of the guy. To go from southside Chicago in the 30s with a schizophrenic mother and gangster-connected father to playing with Lionel Hamption when you're 18 to arranging and playing whole records for the greats just a few years later --- that alone would have been memorable career. But then to pivot in so many directions: film, multiple varieties of pop music, entertainment production. To be genuinely open to new modes of music and entertainment is another huge feat in itself. And to find his way to a type of humility ("ego is just overdressed insecurity") toward his later years -- it all gave me a new respect for his work for sure.

I do wish they had more footage of him actually *working* across the years though. Longer takes of him in the studio and whatnot. But lots of great stuff here, tons of interesting images and video - definitely recommended.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what specifically could have been covered more re: his family?
Jun 04th 2020
yeah
Jun 06th 2020
RE: quincy (documentary)
Jun 08th 2020
I just watched the doc on the 808 drum machine on Tubi
Jun 08th 2020
      RE: I just watched the doc on the 808 drum machine on Tubi
Jun 08th 2020

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Thu Jun-04-20 01:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "what specifically could have been covered more re: his family?"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought the stuff with his mom was illuminating, and explained a lot about him. I've seen the doc twice and read his autobio twice so maybe that's why I feel like bases were covered.

I saw on IG that his sister in law passed recently - the woman who was in the kitchen with him as he was going over his archives. And I honestly feel so sad at how much death he's seen. I mean yes that's what happens as you get older, but it's still sad. I feel like he even mentioned something of the sort.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Jun-06-20 11:00 AM

2. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 1

The coverage of the mother and their relationship was really good and definitely enlightening.

Not sure what else I'd want - I guess a little more exploration of how the infidelity and difficulties of balancing multiple families affected his work. But I respect the choice to keep some of that more private, too.

I need to read his bio, don't know why I never read it before...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Theodore_
Member since Jan 12th 2011
108 posts
Mon Jun-08-20 01:55 PM

3. "RE: quincy (documentary)"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree 100%. Would've loved more focus on his studio work and exploring his solo career albums. Overall it was a dope watch but the music nerd in me wanted more.

I've been trying to find a copy of the I Love Quincy doc which has studio footage like this clip with Herbie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QsusDS_8A

Arif Mardin's career reminds me a lot of Q's. Both arrangers turned producers with ridiculous catalogue spanning decades + dif genres. I came across this doc on his life and career. More low budget but it's dope, Q is a friend of his and is featured

https://tubitv.com/movies/460241/the_greatest_ears_in_town_the_arif_mardin_story?utm_source=google-feed&tracking=google-feed

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Jun-08-20 03:39 PM

4. "I just watched the doc on the 808 drum machine on Tubi"
In response to Reply # 3

It was my first time using the service. It was pretty good

Theodore_
Member since Jan 12th 2011
108 posts
Mon Jun-08-20 06:13 PM

5. "RE: I just watched the doc on the 808 drum machine on Tubi"
In response to Reply # 4

>It was my first time using the service. It was pretty good

Yea not too many ads. I'll have to check for that 808 one

Lobby The Lesson topic #3024977 Previous topic | Next topic