Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3024704

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2020-05-22" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri May-22-20 10:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2020-05-22"

Haven't had the chance to see what's out yet but I did see that Kota dropped a new album, "Everything" -- so that's an immediate listen for me.

What's everyone checking out this week?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
im on my 3rd listen of Everything
May 22nd 2020
thanks for this!!
May 23rd 2020
      i was skeptical when i got the google notification for it
May 26th 2020
           i'd really like more info about the process
May 26th 2020
                for sure, i didnt wanna bring up the skyzoo joint
May 26th 2020
                     RE: for sure, i didnt wanna bring up the skyzoo joint
May 26th 2020
                          nice, definitely buying it. thanks!
May 26th 2020
Styles P and The 1975 is an odd mix but...
May 22nd 2020
RE: Styles P and The 1975 is an odd mix but...
May 23rd 2020
Dornik "Limboland"
May 23rd 2020
RE: Dornik "Limboland"
May 23rd 2020

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri May-22-20 10:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "im on my 3rd listen of Everything"
In response to Reply # 0

he came through. i love it.

raw poetic dropped an album with damu the fudgemunk too, ocean bridges, gonna listen to that next.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat May-23-20 06:36 AM

3. "thanks for this!!"
In response to Reply # 1

>raw poetic dropped an album with damu the fudgemunk too, ocean
>bridges, gonna listen to that next.

Holy shit - this is a record they with a bunch of DC folks and ARCHIE SHEPP --- this is a really cool article from the Washington Post about the album, but also touches on Archie's connection to spoken word (Last Poets, Baraka, etc.):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/how-jazz-legend-archie-shepp-his-nephew-raw-poetic-and-a-cast-of-dc-musicians-teamed-up-for-an-experimental-improvised-album/2020/05/21/9d6e359c-991a-11ea-a282-386f56d579e6_story.html

Listening now - this is really really great. It feels full and genuine and like everyone is fully present and accounted for - Shepp is blowing, too, I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.

Plus, I had no idea Raw Poetic and Damu dropped something in April, "Moment of Change" -- or at least it looks new. I don't think I'm getting tired of Damu's sound any time soon -- and it keeps expanding and refining, it's such a joy to listen to...

-thebigfunk

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue May-26-20 09:55 AM

7. "i was skeptical when i got the google notification for it"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue May-26-20 10:01 AM by mista k5

google has given me false results before and i knew about moment of change so i was doubtful they dropped something new already. when i saw it was legit i had to check it out. didnt know it was a jazz album until i was getting ready to play it.

its so good. i think i like it more than moment of change. about to read the article you posted.

edit: so the album was improvised?? wow

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue May-26-20 10:24 AM

8. "i'd really like more info about the process"
In response to Reply # 7

Or even a brief video if any were made. Would love to know more about what they brought to the recording studio everyday and what was developed on the spot.

I like that the record almost presents as a live session, with the "Professor's Agenda" interludes acting as a sort of backdrop of musical development.

It's worth pulling out Skyzoo's Bluest Note as an interest contrast. That feels much more constrained and planned - not in a bad way, I really enjoy that EP - whereas with this project, there was clearly more room for improvisation.

Damu's scratches and samples in this context also make me think of DJ Logic's stuff from back in the early '00s - I haven't listened to that material in ages, I might revisit to see how it holds up.

-thebigfunk

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue May-26-20 10:32 AM

9. "for sure, i didnt wanna bring up the skyzoo joint"
In response to Reply # 8

i love both of them but i gotta say the damu one was more what i was hoping for from skyzoos. i felt the skyzoo one basically could just be sampled and didnt show off enough of having a live band. still dope.

it doesnt seem like the damu one was 100% one live session but still pretty dope. i would love it on vinyl.

https://damuthefudgemunk.bandcamp.com/album/ocean-bridges

from the bandcamp:
The album is our first "Jazz" project. It is called "Ocean Bridges" and is a full length collaboration with the legendary Archie Shepp. Raw Poetic is the sole vocalist over improv recording sessions of live musicians that he produced via having access to the masters and co-director of the recording date. It is very much an organic collaboration where we had contributors of different and overlapping musical sensibilities in one space. The results were documented live in the recordings. Damu the Fudgemunk says "It is an honor to work with Mr. Archie Shepp. We will cherish the memories for the rest of lives. I hope that these mixes translates the energy that took place in the studio to listeners of these works. The album has a "one of a kind" feel to it in my opinion. Hip Hop and Jazz have crossed paths for decades, but this album was created without any labels or direction therefore the finished product sounds like a very natural and unforced conversation of numerous ideas that transcend a genre. But, I'd say it's in the vein of Miles Davis' "electric period" meets Fela Kuti with a few "straight ahead jazz" concepts if I had to think of something similar".

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue May-26-20 10:42 AM

10. "RE: for sure, i didnt wanna bring up the skyzoo joint"
In response to Reply # 9

It looks like vinyl is coming this summer - there's a banner at the top of this page but no pre-orders yet:
https://www.redefinitionrecords.com/collections/damu-the-fudgemunk

-thebigfunk

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue May-26-20 10:46 AM

11. "nice, definitely buying it. thanks!"
In response to Reply # 10

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri May-22-20 07:13 PM

2. "Styles P and The 1975 is an odd mix but..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-22-20 07:19 PM by phemom

This is a better week for me.

Styles P-Ghost Your Enthusiasm is a better album than the last couple. Also it sounds better sonically, like someone got an upgrade on the boards.

1975's albums are kinda all over the place, I think I'm gonna have to make split up the playlists....because going from LOUD SYNTHS to a jazz lounge song back to back is not gonna work for me.

Both Teyana Taylor's singles go and the Lloyd x Teddy Riley joint will be effective the next time I got an opportunity to use it. It's dope that Lloyd's joint got an extended mix and a radio edit too.

The second Pete Rock x Camp Lo album hit streaming, I already had it but this version sounds cleaner so I gotta switch that out.

New Ludacris/Wayne joint dope too....tho getting Wayne only for a hook is kinda dumb. Luda prolly should've taken out the R. Kelly line tho, I got what he was saying...but still. Really looking forward to the Luda x Timbaland album....even if it should've happened like 10 years ago.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat May-23-20 06:41 AM

4. "RE: Styles P and The 1975 is an odd mix but..."
In response to Reply # 2

>1975's albums are kinda all over the place, I think I'm gonna
>have to make split up the playlists....because going from LOUD
>SYNTHS to a jazz lounge song back to back is not gonna work
>for me.

I've never gotten around to listening to the 1975 - do you think this is a good starting point or should I start with their earlier stuff?

>
>Both Teyana Taylor's singles go and the Lloyd x Teddy Riley
>joint will be effective the next time I got an opportunity to
>use it. It's dope that Lloyd's joint got an extended mix and a
>radio edit too.
>

Yeah, I like that Teyana "We Got Love" cut a lot. I'm not super familiar with her but it's stayed in rotation since it dropped.

>Really looking forward to the Luda x Timbaland album....even
>if it should've happened like 10 years ago.

Did not know this was on the way - that's great news. I hope they keep it tight, concise, and focused on what Luda does best -- don't over think it, I think that's been his downfall in the past...

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Sat May-23-20 08:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Dornik "Limboland""
In response to Reply # 0

LOVED his self titled debut.
LOVED his collaboration with Zo! x Phonte "Lifelines"
Been waiting for a follow up for the last 5 years.
Finally got it yesterday. Great album.
Only been through it a few times, but it's VERY solid.

His debut was electro boogie soul funk (I'm horrible at describing music...ha)
This is that, plus a more spacey vibe.

https://digife.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat May-23-20 10:34 AM

6. "RE: Dornik "Limboland""
In response to Reply # 5

I saw you upped this in another thread - thanks for putting it here, will check for it!

-thebigfunk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3024704 Previous topic | Next topic