Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3023845

Subject: "Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) " Previous topic | Next topic
Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 10:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "

Does the lesson have Fiona Apple fans? Anyway, this is wild album-of-the-year material by her after 8 years of silence. It's probably my second or third favorite album of this year so far - and that's just after a couple listens.

The Idler Wheel is (was?) my favorite album by her, but to be honest, this new one will probably end up taking its place. Fetch The Bolt Cutters feels like a bold, but natural evolution from the sound of Idler Wheel. It's extremely percussive, can be relatively experimental and her performance/writing is fantastic.

At the moment, I can't pick a favorite track, but it's one of these: "Cosmonauts", "Fetch the Bolt Cutters", "Rack of His", "Newspaper", "Ladies", "Heavy Balloon"

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020)
Apr 17th 2020
Apr 17th 2020
Apr 17th 2020
Apr 17th 2020
Apr 18th 2020
sounds good on first listen
Apr 17th 2020
It’s excellent. Loving Under The Table, Ladies, Shameika.
Apr 17th 2020
RE: It’s excellent. Loving Under The Table, Ladies, Shameika.
Apr 18th 2020
      RE: It’s excellent. Loving Under The Table, Ladies, Shameika.
Apr 18th 2020
Apr 18th 2020
RE: Tori Amos
Apr 20th 2020
Apr 20th 2020
Apr 20th 2020
                long quietus piece on Tori
May 21st 2020
All around, "Under the Table" is the jam
Apr 19th 2020
Fiona Apple is the Daniel Day Lewis of Music
Apr 19th 2020
if it wasn't for the Lesson I don't think I would have ever checked
Apr 20th 2020
Rank her discography
Apr 20th 2020
Hard to rank these
Apr 21st 2020
      RE: Hard to rank these
Apr 22nd 2020
Apr 22nd 2020
                What's there to apologize for ?! hah
Apr 22nd 2020
                RE: What's there to apologize for ?! hah
Apr 22nd 2020
Apr 22nd 2020
Apr 22nd 2020
Apr 22nd 2020
It might be my least favorite album of hers?
Apr 22nd 2020
That makes perfect sense
Apr 22nd 2020

spidey
Charter member
13121 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 0

Halfway through, and yes, it's impressive...what a song writer.

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 0

>Does the lesson have Fiona Apple fans?

Haha, I feel like she was one of the most championed artists in the Lesson after When the Pawn was released. I gave it a listen earlier this morning and will revisit again after I go through all the other new releases from today.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 12:14 PM

3. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 2

Haha that's good to know, When The Pawn was far before my Lesson time.

----------

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 12:26 PM

4. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 3

quest even got her to do an "ama" in here

she broke through on this new album..like she's just seeing green "0"&"1"s sitting at that piano now.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 10:18 AM

7. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 2

>>Does the lesson have Fiona Apple fans?
>
>Haha, I feel like she was one of the most championed artists
>in the Lesson after When the Pawn was released. I gave it a
>listen earlier this morning and will revisit again after I go
>through all the other new releases from today.

Yeah, the question is more "does the lesson have fiona apple fans *today*?" I think that in a weird way the lesson is almost more hip hop-centric than it was in the early years. See last year's response to FKA Twig's album - I was actually kind of surprised. But things change, and that's cool...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 01:36 PM

5. "sounds good on first listen"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked her last album too. her voice sounds a little raspy on this one. She’s funny. Not sure I’d want to date her but her lyrics are interesting.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 05:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "It’s excellent. Loving Under The Table, Ladies, Shameika."
In response to Reply # 0

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 10:19 AM

8. "RE: It’s excellent. Loving Under The Table, Ladies, Shameika."
In response to Reply # 6

These are some of my first favorites, too, but I'm already vacillating wildly between repeats.

-thebigfunk

Kosa12
4988 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 11:25 AM

10. "RE: It’s excellent. Loving Under The Table, Ladies, Shameika."
In response to Reply # 8

The piano in "Shameika" is fantastic. That one is starting to creep into my favorites as well. As I listen to this record more and more, I like it more and more - and I loved it on the first listen. I'm floored.

----------

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 10:29 AM

9. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 0

>Fetch The Bolt Cutters feels like a bold, but natural
>evolution from the sound of Idler Wheel. It's extremely
>percussive, can be relatively experimental and her
>performance/writing is fantastic.

I think one reason I love her catalog so much is she's a great example of what it means to explore and experiment within a sound rather than reaching far outside of it. Every album is very different yet it is all identifiable as her - the piano never sounds the same yet it is somehow her, the writing shifts yet it is somehow her. You can listen to her first album next to this one, note the range and the journey, but still they feel very much at home together.

I can't help but think of Tori as a comparison, whose piano playing moved to the background around her fourth album and whose own experimentation wound up being more an excursion into other forms of instrumentation (different band line-ups, incorporating electronic instruments more, stretching out into long-form drone-jams). In a strange way, as much as I love Tori and think her discography's pretty incredible, she lost a bit of what was interesting or unique about her along the way. Fiona's released a lot less but has arguably built a more substantial musical landscape to work from that she can fully claim as her own. (I don't know if that makes sense and I might change my mind tomorrow, lol.)

I guess my point is: Apple's found a way to keep the piano forward and actually seem to push it in new directions yet still very much being her. There's a sense of adventure on each of her records; string them together and it's a fucking epic musical journey.

-thebigfunk

Kosa12
4988 posts
Mon Apr-20-20 11:38 AM

13. "RE: Tori Amos "
In response to Reply # 9

>I can't help but think of Tori as a comparison, whose piano
>playing moved to the background around her fourth album and
>whose own experimentation wound up being more an excursion
>into other forms of instrumentation (different band line-ups,
>incorporating electronic instruments more, stretching out into
>long-form drone-jams). In a strange way, as much as I love
>Tori and think her discography's pretty incredible, she lost a
>bit of what was interesting or unique about her along the way.
>Fiona's released a lot less but has arguably built a more
>substantial musical landscape to work from that she can fully
>claim as her own. (I don't know if that makes sense and I
>might change my mind tomorrow, lol.)

I actually don't know the Amos catalog well, where would you recommend starting?

----------

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Apr-20-20 04:35 PM

16. "RE: Tori Amos "
In response to Reply # 13

Nice - I wish our archives were better, I know I've written volume in years past on Tori. My crash course:

Her first three albums - Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, and Boys for Pele - were what made Tori into Tori. They're still remarkable and I would start there. Little Earthquakes is more direct and is just a powerhouse of songwriting and performance, voice and piano and lyrics all in full force. Under the Pink finds her expanding her palette a lot in terms of both songwriting and sound/instrumentation - it's a pretty sprawling record (though it's only about an hour long) and is probably my favorite from the period. Boys for Pele is when she really begins to stretch, bringing in the harpsichord and just an all around fuller and heavier sound. It's too long and a bit bloated in one or two points but still great. It's really hard for me to pick a favorite though there's admittedly some nostalgia going on - they're formative records for me both personally and musically. They released a live @ Montreaux show from the Little Earthquakes period that helps capture her live sound from that period, too - definitely worth a listen.

Her b-sides from this period were a big part of her career, too. They're more scattered across compilations at this point but it's worth checking out the last disc of compilation "A Piano: The Collection" -- there are some other bsides, I think, on the earlier discs on that set but most of them are on the last one. (I think that's on Spotify/Apple Music but could be wrong.) There were a *lot* of tracks from that period that could easily have been on an album and were cult faves among fans.

So I'd start with all of that. From the Choirgirl Hotel is excellent and should definitely be heard, imo, but it is often marked as the big shift in her career for sonic reasons. Less piano, more guitars, synths, etc., so I'd save that for after the early trilogy of records. Those four, I think, are the mandatory part of her catalog, along with the bsides.

Personally, several of the records following Choirgirl are still top-notch (especially the studio side of To Venus and Back and substantial portions of Beekeeper). But somewhere around then she lost the ability to edit: her records are just too big, too many songs, and they grow unwieldy. And by American Doll Posse (2007?), her songwriting is getting stale. She still shows glimmers of greatness in stuff from the last decade or so but a lot of it is tough listening (although I admittedly haven't paid them the attention they're probably due).

Would love to hear what you think of those early records especially - Apple and AMos share a common musical ancestor in Laura Nyro (among others) and I think those records are where it's most apparent.

-thebigfunk

Kosa12
4988 posts
Mon Apr-20-20 10:07 PM

17. "RE: Tori Amos "
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks a lot for this! I'm going to start with her first record and go from there.

----------

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu May-21-20 08:38 AM

28. "long quietus piece on Tori"
In response to Reply # 17

Thought this might be of interest:

https://thequietus.com/articles/28268-tori-amos-really-deep-thoughts-silent-all-these-years

Very long - too long, honestly, well-written but could be reorganized and trimmed a bit - but I think the writer makes some good observations. Maybe something to stash away for later, after you've made it through some of her stuff.

-thebigfunk

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sun Apr-19-20 01:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "All around, "Under the Table" is the jam"
In response to Reply # 0

But this is a real masterclass album, picking a favorite is more preferential than definitive

What a cool album

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Sun Apr-19-20 01:03 PM

12. "Fiona Apple is the Daniel Day Lewis of Music"
In response to Reply # 0

Got Damn Legend. Can take a hiatus and come back with masterpiece shit

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4873 posts
Mon Apr-20-20 01:41 PM

14. "if it wasn't for the Lesson I don't think I would have ever checked"
In response to Reply # 0

for Fiona.

Great album- very creative.

Heavy Baloon, the title track, and Under the Table are bonkers.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Mon Apr-20-20 02:48 PM

15. "Rank her discography "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-20-20 02:49 PM by Kosa12

I know it's still early days and my opinion might change, but I've been immersing myself in the catalog as I dig further into this one and can definitely say that this is now my favorite album by her. It's powerful stuff.

Here are detailed thoughts: https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/2020/04/fiona-apple-fetch-bolt-cutters-2020.html#more

I don't think any of her albums have hit me as immediately quotable as this one. It feels more direct than Idler Wheel in an extremely skilled way. She comes up with things that sound simple to encompass concepts that you can go deep into. The songwriting is so good. Dissecting it is so much fun. There are no bad songs. Instrumentally this is definitely the most unhinged her sound has been too and I love it.

Anyway, my ranking would be:

1. Fetch The Bolt Cutters
2. The Idler Wheel
3. Tidal
4. When The Pawn
5. Extraordinary Machine

All of these are great to me though.

----------

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Tue Apr-21-20 07:41 PM

18. "Hard to rank these"
In response to Reply # 15

but I started with When The Pawn, so I've got sentimental attachment to it...

1. When the Pawn
2. Fetch the Bolt Cutters
3. Tidal
4. The Idler Wheel
5. Extraordinary Machine (though the title track is maybe my top 1 song of hers)

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 07:28 AM

19. "RE: Hard to rank these"
In response to Reply # 18

Zero! So good to see you showing up here!

I'm taking some time before I run through the rankings, especially since I haven't spent as much time with idler yet. I think extraordinary is probably last though - and it's still an awesome record, which says a lot abt her catalog.

-thebigfunk

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 09:20 AM

20. "RE: Hard to rank these"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Apr-22-20 09:27 AM by zero

always good to see you too! still lurk occasionally, but leave it up to Fiona to bring us out of the woodwork...

and yeah, Extraordinary Machine feels the most conventional because of its production sheen. It's a good album that has a slickness that might undermine some of the rawness of emotion.

I like Idler Wheel a lot, too. It's where she really embraced her voice as an instrument, less worried about sounding 'good' and more willing to contort it. Almost sounds like she's learning to play with new tools, so the songs don't connect with me as much as on the other 3.

Tidal is Tidal. Such mature songwriting for someone so young.

My favorite part of Fetch The Bolt Cutters is how funny it is. She's spittin some darts in there. And the music has so many unexpected twists and embellishments that I can tell I'll be discovering new details in it for a long time.

Then there's When The Pawn. My favorite of the production (I'm a Jon Brion apologist). Still get a jolt from those drums on "Fast As You Can."

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24414 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 09:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "What's there to apologize for ?! hah"
In response to Reply # 20

>Then there's When The Pawn. My favorite of the production (I'm
>a Jon Brion apologist).

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 06:50 PM

27. "RE: What's there to apologize for ?! hah"
In response to Reply # 21

ha - I'm good friends with a Jon Brion superfan so I've spent a bunch of time making fun of his indulgent live shows (which could either be amazing or 75 minutes of noise-rock solos) and occasionally too-twee-for-its-own-good production.

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 10:02 AM

23. "RE: Hard to rank these"

zero: making OKP posts i agree with since 1999

*except* i think i'd put this new one first and When the Pawn.. 2nd? Pawn doesn't really get going for me til like track 4.. (but damn that Side B)

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 02:12 PM

24. "RE: Hard to rank these"
Wed Apr-22-20 02:23 PM by Kosa12

>I like Idler Wheel a lot, too. It's where she really embraced
>her voice as an instrument, less worried about sounding 'good'
>and more willing to contort it.
>

This is why I love Idler Wheel so much, there is a real rawness in her voice. It makes her more compelling emotionally to me, which is saying a lot because she always had been - it sounds like she's really feeling it. Listened to it again last night.

----------

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 09:58 AM

22. "RE: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (2020) "
In response to Reply # 0

these songs remind me of Disintegration? (The Cure) how she layers ascending & descending hooks i mean

"i would beg to dis-agree but beg-ging dis-agrees with me" (repeating on own intro)

then "kick me under the table all you want..i wont shut up..i wont shut up.."

then halfway into song recalling the intro hook ontop of the other one

same shapes as something like Untitled on Disintegration

*steps away from crackpipe*

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 06:11 PM

25. "It might be my least favorite album of hers?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-22-20 06:16 PM by Steve O Tron v2

I've listened to it quite a few times and revisited her discography this past week. I still think it's a good record, but it's not quite clicking with me despite repeated listens. The opener, "I Want You To Love Me," is my favorite song, and maybe it's because I feel like it melodically and songwriting wise is most similar to her previous work? A few of the songs have some repetitive sections that don't sound bad but don't add much for me either. It is growing on me more and more, but it's quite a ways below When the Pawn.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 06:45 PM

26. "That makes perfect sense "
In response to Reply # 25

>The opener, "I Want You To Love Me," is my favorite song, and
>maybe it's because I feel like it melodically and songwriting
>wise is most similar to her previous work?

Although that isn't my favorite song, I completely agree with you on the second part. I think that starting the album off with that song was a great way to disorient the listener haha. To be honest, that song and "Shameika", I love those songs, but they are definitely outliers sonically/in general structure.

I think had she released "I Want You To Love Me" as a single, it would've definitely affected people's initial reactions to the album by setting expectations of a sound far away from the majority of the tracks.

----------

Lobby The Lesson topic #3023845 Previous topic | Next topic