Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3023056

Subject: "Common's Like Water For Chocolate turns 20 (03.28.2020)" Previous topic | Next topic
Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 09:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Common's Like Water For Chocolate turns 20 (03.28.2020)"

I actually bought this album after really digging "The Light" which I only heard after buying The Source Presents: Hip Hop Hits, Vol. 4. I was still just getting into hip hop at the time and didn't have much exposure to non-commercial stuff.

In these early years of getting into everything I basically bought albums off of the strength of the radio singles and barely listened to the rest of the album. This album was no different. Now, normally this was the case because a lot of albums in that period of time were a few good tracks and a bunch of throwaway sold for $15, but with this album it was mainly due to me just not being ready for this sound (if that makes any sense).

Years later after getting more into conscious hip hop (The Roots, Talib, Mos, Common, aka how I got here) I revisited this album and while it was a slow grower it eventually became one of my favorites of all time.

Anybody else gonna give this one a spin today/this week? Favorite tracks? Where does this sit in your personal Common rankings?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It’s his best album IMO
Mar 28th 2020
My introduction to Common. And yes, my favorite album of his
Mar 28th 2020
what are you skipping?
Mar 30th 2020
was one of my favourite albums in high school
Mar 28th 2020
RE: Common's Like Water For Chocolate turns 20 (03.28.2020)
Mar 28th 2020
Classic, no question.
Mar 28th 2020
Looking forward to the day it gets a reissue. *fingers crossed*
Mar 29th 2020
For as much as I loved listening to that album when it came out
Mar 29th 2020
he also talked about being inappropriately touched as a kid
Mar 30th 2020
      Oh, man. That's tragic.
Mar 30th 2020
not sure what reissue youre looking for
Mar 30th 2020
Favorite Common album
Mar 30th 2020
This is the absolute worst, and hardly the only offender in hip hop
Mar 30th 2020
RE: Favorite Common album
Mar 30th 2020
I found the Leno performance on YouTube
Apr 05th 2020
RE: Favorite Common album
Mar 30th 2020
Never asked myself this question, but this might be it.
Mar 30th 2020
the light is one of those songs that really grabbed me
Mar 30th 2020
Between this and One Day...
Mar 30th 2020
soundtrack to spring semester, freshman year in college
Mar 30th 2020
I let my friend borrow this album...
Mar 31st 2020
My college freshman year soundtrack
Mar 31st 2020
Makes me wish we got that Dilla singing album...
Mar 31st 2020
This was instant classic to me
Apr 01st 2020
That was his commercial breakthrough.
Apr 05th 2020

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 11:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It’s his best album IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

Fav. tracks: Thelonious, DooinIt, Nag Champa, The 6th Sense, Funky For You - I’ll take that as my first 5. But really, the whole album is quality. I don’t think there’s a song that I dislike. Top notch album in every regard.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 12:07 PM

2. "My introduction to Common. And yes, my favorite album of his"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember The Light being shown on BET all the time. Didn't get the album until 2005 though. And it was like 'this is very dope' but it has grown on me tremendously over the past few years. The lyrics, the production, it's a classic ...only a couple tracks I usually skip.

Nag Champa, Thelonius, and A Song for Assata are flawless.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 09:28 AM

11. "what are you skipping?"
In response to Reply # 2

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 04:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "was one of my favourite albums in high school"
In response to Reply # 0

definitely going to revisit it today - thanks for the reminder!

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

spidey
Charter member
13126 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 04:05 PM

4. "RE: Common's Like Water For Chocolate turns 20 (03.28.2020)"
In response to Reply # 0

His creative peak as an artist and collaborator...Flames...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 07:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Classic, no question."
In response to Reply # 0

My hip-hop fandom trajectory seems sorta similar to yours, in that I was commercial hip-hop up until around 8th grade when a friend introduced me to The Roots and "Things Fall Apart".

I loved that album. So after that I started digging in the crates so to speak. I bought albums randomly at Newbury Comics, sort of off of feel alone. I was there one day freshman year in high school and bought Aceyalone's "Book of Human Language" and Common's "One Day It'll All Make Sense" just off a whim. I admittedly had seen Comm's video for "Retrospect for Life" a few months prior so I had some level of knowledge of who he was but I bought it without knowing anything about him outside of that video.

I loved it immediately, and spent most of my sophomore year eagerly anticipating LWFC because of the Roots/Common collaboration.

When I heard "The 6th Sense" a month or two before the album dropped my mind was fucking blown.

And when it dropped, I can remember the zone I was in listening to it. It's when Comm became my favorite MC. What an experience that album was from front to back. Sonically it's nearly peerless IMO.

I still prefer "One Day ..." lyrically I think, but as an overall listening experience LWFC is unmatched in Comm's discog IMO.

Where I rank it in his discog depends on the day. But One Day, Resurrection, and LWFC are top 3 no matter what, in any order. Be and EC are the next two, also in any order .. again it depends on the day. Then the rest.

Dooinit
Nag Champa (Afrodisiac for the World)
Cold Blooded
6th Sense
Funky for You

Then:
Time Travelin'
Geto Heaven (both versions, can't choose)
Thelonius

Whole album is fire. Only song I'm even some level of "meh" about is and was "The Questions" cuz despite the humor I felt it was a wasted song considering the talent involved. We deserved better from two of the best MCs of all time in both their respective primes. Song's fine but just kind of a letdown considering who was involved.

"A Film Called Pimp" is also just sorta fine.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 10:41 AM

6. "Looking forward to the day it gets a reissue. *fingers crossed*"
In response to Reply # 0

Prolly won’t get that treatment until its 25th, tho.

Yesterday, FWMJ commented on how loud the “F” word was on one of the songs (“Dooinit”). Quest just commented, “ lost the argument that day told him he’d regret it. Imma fix it on reissue tho”. Of course, talk is talk and this is in no way a solid confirmation OF what we’re hoping for, lol. But hey. Let’s put it in the atmosphere!

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 07:32 PM

7. "For as much as I loved listening to that album when it came out"
In response to Reply # 6

The use of that word threw me for a loop and took away from my enjoyment.

Not that it was alright but it was just a different time where there wasn't the social pressure to at least avoid using the word. Plus Common was younger and at an age where alot of men feel that their identity is built upon distancing themselves from gay culture. Thankfully he made up for it, at least to me, on EC.

But back to the album. It came out when I was in SF. I bought it probably from the Virgin Megastore (might have bought Black on Both Sides at the same time). My friends at the company I worked for were heads and so we talked about how dope that album was. I spent a lot of time walking around the city and overseas when I was on a trip listening to that album.

The production was so dope. And I liked how it had a boho-afrocentric theme throughout. A true masterpiece on all levels. I think it's his best album and still holds up today pretty well.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 04:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "he also talked about being inappropriately touched as a kid"
In response to Reply # 7

on his last album, so that prolly added to his somewhat anti-gay leanings in his youth.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 09:28 PM

17. "Oh, man. That's tragic."
In response to Reply # 8

I could see the homophobia stemming from a lack of manhood he may have felt as a result of the molestation.

Thankfully, he's matured out of that attitude.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

mista k5
16415 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 09:32 AM

12. "not sure what reissue youre looking for"
In response to Reply # 6

i got this one and im happy with it. not sure if they fixed the f word. would need to re-listen to it. ill probably do that some time this week.

https://shop.urbanlegends.com/collections/vinyl/products/common-like-water-for-chocolate

Anonymous
Charter member
23228 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 09:08 AM

9. "Favorite Common album"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-30-20 09:09 AM by Anonymous

The production is great from top to bottom.

Time Travelin’ is one of the best opening tracks on ANY album period.

The piano chop on Dooinit will forever get the ugly face.

The Light is his best commercial record.

The close of Funky For You with the beat reversed and Bilal screaming could’ve been a whole track lol.

The Sixth Sense is one of Primo’s Top 10 records imo.

The beat to Nag Champa could play for hours and I wouldn’t be tired of it.

Thelonius will always make my head nod.

Geto Heaven doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

Assata is a beautiful record.

My favorite Pops piece.

Only things I’ll nitpick are;
Why...why...why doesn’t Thought ever get to spit a verse on a Common album???

The F word and overall homophobic lines definitely didn’t age well.

Yes, Mos Def was a wasted feature even if I do enjoy The Questions.

The interlude places before A Film Called Pimp and tacked on to the end of Sixth Sense forcing me to edit the track in order to put it on playlists is absolutely stupid.

I really didn’t need a Stolen Moments Pt 4 turning the concept into a joke.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 12:50 PM

13. "This is the absolute worst, and hardly the only offender in hip hop"
In response to Reply # 9

>The interlude places before A Film Called Pimp and tacked on
>to the end of Sixth Sense forcing me to edit the track in
>order to put it on playlists is absolutely stupid.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 01:08 PM

14. "RE: Favorite Common album"
In response to Reply # 9

>Geto Heaven doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

This is absolutely true - it now appears to me as a standout when, upon release, it was just sort of there. There was a remix w/Macy Gray that was really good (I should pull that out) -- and Comm, the Roots, and Macy performed a version of it live on Letterman or Leno. I went looking for it a year or two ago in a handful of VHS tapes I still have hanging around but couldn't find it.

>Yes, Mos Def was a wasted feature even if I do enjoy The
>Questions.

I remember this complaint from its release, too, and I think the Questions is certainly on the weaker end of the album's best to worst list. It's essentially a feature-less album save SV on Thelonious -- which is a pretty hard sell now but wasn't much easier then, I don't think -- and Comm mostly pulls it off. But still would have loved to hear either Mos or BT on pretty much any of the tracks and could have done w/out The Questions just fine.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

hammam
Member since Nov 03rd 2011
398 posts
Sun Apr-05-20 03:12 AM

25. "I found the Leno performance on YouTube"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun Apr-05-20 03:13 AM by hammam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLBvx1bJ4fY

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "RE: Favorite Common album"
In response to Reply # 9

>Time Travelin’ is one of the best opening tracks on ANY
>album period.

Agree.

>The close of Funky For You with the beat reversed and Bilal
>screaming could’ve been a whole track lol.

Agree.

>The beat to Nag Champa could play for hours and I wouldn’t
>be tired of it.

AGREE LOUDLY.

>Geto Heaven doesn’t get the credit it deserves.
>
>Assata is a beautiful record.

Agree.

>The interlude places before A Film Called Pimp and tacked on
>to the end of Sixth Sense forcing me to edit the track in
>order to put it on playlists is absolutely stupid.

AGREE.

>I really didn’t need a Stolen Moments Pt 4 turning the
>concept into a joke.

Thanks for reminding me. This track should've been left off, no question about it.

Film and Questions I can live with. This track was a total waste and you're right, nearly ruined what was otherwise a really cool concept on the prior album.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 11:37 PM

18. "Never asked myself this question, but this might be it. "
In response to Reply # 9

It really hits all on all the notes

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

mista k5
16415 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 09:27 AM

10. "the light is one of those songs that really grabbed me"
In response to Reply # 0

i would throw it into any mixtape i was making at the time lol not sure how long it took me to get the album. when i did it blew me away. i think its the album that made me "get" dilla. probably my favorite album at the time of hearing it and jumped common to my fav. i think i went back and listened to all his albums in reverse (one day, resurrection and then can i borrow a dollar).

i think its a top 20 or 10 album for me. one of those essential albums. it has aged well too. id say my favorite common album but he does have some other great ones that are right there.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 01:30 PM

15. "Between this and One Day... "
In response to Reply # 0

I think both kind of had the same issue with sequencing, but both showed Com at his lyrical peak at different stages of growth as a man. The Com that wrote Hungry (still one of my favorites) was in a different place than the Com that wrote Nag Champa, but was still a very dangerous MC

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Mon Mar-30-20 11:49 PM

19. "soundtrack to spring semester, freshman year in college"
In response to Reply # 0

this album was everything at the time. along with all the others of course.

-----------------------------

my music: www.soundcloud.com/jessewarren
my mixes: www.mixcloud.com/jessewarren
my label: www.fb.com/mettamuzik

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 04:43 PM

20. "I let my friend borrow this album..."
In response to Reply # 0

and he "lost it"…

Great album! My favorite of Com's, up there with Resurrection… One of those albums that after Dilla died, I realized how big of a fan I was of his production… Honestly hadn't paid enough attention to his production before then… Which sounds weird now, but at the time, I paid way more attention to the rhymes, the rapper and the beat (specifically), but not who produced it...

catalyst
Member since Dec 27th 2005
1389 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 05:44 PM

21. "My college freshman year soundtrack"
In response to Reply # 0

Common's best. I still play Nag Champa a few times a month.

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 06:11 PM

22. "Makes me wish we got that Dilla singing album..."
In response to Reply # 21

>I still play Nag Champa a few times a month.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Apr-01-20 03:59 AM

23. "This was instant classic to me"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved it from first listen and still give it spins to this day.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Apr-05-20 01:12 AM

24. "That was his commercial breakthrough. "
In response to Reply # 0

I was happy to see Common get over the hump. Loved Nag Champa, Thelonius, 6th Sense, Ghetto Heaven, etc.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Lobby The Lesson topic #3023056 Previous topic | Next topic