Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3023042

Subject: "Atonement: The Lesson arguments you wish you hadn't made" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri Mar-27-20 06:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Atonement: The Lesson arguments you wish you hadn't made"

I was thinking about this post I made a couple of years ago about The Roots' change in sound after Dilla died and basically attributed the lack of quality in the band's music to ?uest not having Dilla to collaborate with. (although the way I worded the post could have been read to mean that I thought Dilla was the main reason the band's sound was so good up through Phrenology.)

I try to be as nuanced as I can here (with my limited knowledge of music) and even more so when discussing The Roots and especially ?uest. Not that I don't greatly respect what he's done with his career but he's the owner of this place and probably runs this place at a loss. The least I could do is be a nice guest.

But the post I mentioned, upon reflection, wasn't in good taste. Or accurate. While I prefer the band's early sound, the post Phrenology albums are really, really good and in some ways their sound has gotten even better as the band has continued on.

And to suggest that someone as creative and accomplished as ?uest wasn't a/the musical leader of his own band is, like I said, in poor taste and very cutting.

So, I apologize for my post and the suggestion that ?uest didn't play the chief part in those Dilla-influenced albums.

Anyone else have any mea culpas to ask for?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Haha don't be so hard on yourself man.
Mar 27th 2020
You're probably right
Mar 29th 2020
nah you were spot on
Mar 27th 2020
There's no doubt that Dilla was a MAJOR influence on The Roots' albums
Mar 29th 2020
Doubt Dilla had influence on DYWM
Apr 15th 2020
Wish I never defended Kid Cudi
Mar 28th 2020
anytime I went hard at a poster for saying some wild shit
Mar 29th 2020
yeah... you used to tell people
Mar 31st 2020
Haha I remember this shtick. It made me cringelaugh.
Mar 31st 2020
Lol...that shit used to be hilarious
Mar 31st 2020
LOL man OKP was like the wild west back then
Mar 31st 2020
Nah that shit was great
Apr 03rd 2020
      LOL it's all love man
Apr 04th 2020
           Much better
Apr 06th 2020
                LOL we'll take it
Apr 06th 2020
I'm actually glad I mocked OF by calling them OMGWTFKTA
Mar 31st 2020
RE: Atonement: The Lesson arguments you wish you hadn't made
Mar 31st 2020
I used to drunk post every day
Apr 03rd 2020
2 posts stick out in my mind...
Apr 06th 2020
Something I said to Fire in a Solange post
Apr 08th 2020
I remember that
Apr 09th 2020
could people use this post to admit to alter egos?
Apr 15th 2020
Nothing off the top. Gotta dog through the Archives to jog memory
Apr 16th 2020
I said Digable Planets had a better catalog than Tribe
Apr 18th 2020
They only have two albums. LOL
Apr 18th 2020
awwwwww
Apr 22nd 2020
RE: awwwwww
Apr 22nd 2020
Good to hear from you !
Apr 22nd 2020

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Mar-27-20 09:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Haha don't be so hard on yourself man."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think it's in poor taste to discuss The Roots' albums honestly even if it's own ?uest's own site. In fact I think he'd prefer that.

It's not like you were disrespectful, IMO.

I've probably got a lot of posts I'd regret if I were to remember them but I'll have to think harder and come back.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 06:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "You're probably right"
In response to Reply # 1

I probably am reading more into my comments than ?uest may have.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4873 posts
Fri Mar-27-20 10:22 PM

2. "nah you were spot on"
In response to Reply # 0

It hasn't been the same since Game Theory.

I don't know if it was collaboration, competition, inspiration, or all three....but the creativity isn't the same since Dilla passed.

pre Rising Down, no two albums sounded alike. Even close.

Anyway, to answer your question...

I was too hard on Mos Def when Ecstatic dropped. I was mad disappointed, and I'm pretty sure I went at anyone making excuses for him.

My.Fucking.Bad.

That album GREW on me. Fucking masterpiece. His best.

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 07:25 PM

6. "There's no doubt that Dilla was a MAJOR influence on The Roots' albums"
In response to Reply # 2

Moreso TFA and Phren. And I agree that the fun the group had on the pre-Game Theory albums is missing from their later albums.

The post The Tipping Point albums were all on Def Jam and the label had different expectations. I think on Def Jam the band wasn't asked to change their sound to sell records anymore.

I think on their earlier records they still had pressure to be more commercial and so, the later records may be more in line with what ?uest and Thought wanted their music to be like from the beginning?

But either way, I don't think it was fair to paint a picture that ?uest on his own wasn't a part of some quality work by the band on those albums after Dilla's passing.

In my mind, my post may have come off like Dilla was the chief reason why those albums came out as well-crafted as they did and that ?uest was following Dilla's lead. I don't think that is the case anymore.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Apr-15-20 11:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "Doubt Dilla had influence on DYWM"
In response to Reply # 2

Give Quest some credit. He (and the band) was (were) making dope shit before most of you knew who Jay Dee was.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 02:24 PM

3. "Wish I never defended Kid Cudi"
In response to Reply # 0

He sucks ass

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 09:45 AM

4. "anytime I went hard at a poster for saying some wild shit"
In response to Reply # 0

and then realizing it wasn't the person that actually did it and I got crossed up on a similar name/avatar/posting style. I don't know if I got around to apologizing for every single instance, but the apology is DEFINITELY owed because I took a couple people into the stratosphere and dropped them off

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 11:24 AM

9. "yeah... you used to tell people"
In response to Reply # 4

that you were going to dick them down...hard.

sheesh

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 11:47 AM

10. "Haha I remember this shtick. It made me cringelaugh."
In response to Reply # 9

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 02:38 PM

11. "Lol...that shit used to be hilarious "
In response to Reply # 9

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 07:22 PM

12. "LOL man OKP was like the wild west back then"
In response to Reply # 9

lotta good lingo came out of that era

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 09:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Nah that shit was great"
In response to Reply # 4

I know I used to hate but I was a different person back then. Drugs and alcohol problem that had me spazzin.

You should bring it back to the okp made me edit my shit my dick was on full display style..

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sat Apr-04-20 03:45 PM

15. "LOL it's all love man"
In response to Reply # 13

How are you making out with everything nowadays? I didn't know you were going through all that.

OKdamn
1314 posts
Mon Apr-06-20 09:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Much better"
In response to Reply # 15

Got clean ..now I'm sober and insane lol

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Mon Apr-06-20 07:13 PM

18. "LOL we'll take it"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon Apr-06-20 07:13 PM by Garhart Poppwell

seriously though, I'm glad to hear you're in a better place nowadays.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 10:36 AM

7. "I'm actually glad I mocked OF by calling them OMGWTFKTA"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-31-20 10:36 AM by Dr Claw

because that troll/Cowboy fan LittleX kept posting about them endlessly.

It made my conversion to the side of Tyler and OF that much more satisfying.

I really do think Tyler is gonna go down as one of the GOAT

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Tue Mar-31-20 11:21 AM

8. "RE: Atonement: The Lesson arguments you wish you hadn't made"
In response to Reply # 0

A few years back I hailed Bigg Jus as having the dopest catalogue. Well things have changed now. I still view him as the dopest lyricist, but overall catalog now belongs to Ishmael Butler. With Digable, Cherrywine, and Shabazz Palaces as well as the Knife Knights project. He has put a distance between himself and the rest. Anything that he is on these days sounds dope. Whether he’s doing hip hop, working with soul, and rock artists it always comes out dope.

This has only come about because Jus is not making any new music (and hasn’t since 2012), while Ish is continuing to blaze trails.

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 09:30 AM

14. "I used to drunk post every day"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to stay off some kind of drug 75 percent of the time.
Very delusion and delirious and needing a straightjacket.
I was bullied as a kid and had a terrible childhood.
My life has always been hard and I've got more issues than time magazine.

And I did alot of tough typing and being a dickhead. I'm sorry.

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Mon Apr-06-20 12:52 AM

16. "2 posts stick out in my mind..."
In response to Reply # 0

One where I said I didn't consider Madlib a legend… other than an underground legend… Maybe I didn't articulate what I meant well enough… Either way, I feel like I spent way too much time defending my words… And when I look back at hip hop producers, you gotta consider Madlib a legend…

The other post is when Nate Dogg died… I was hurt when that happened… And I read something that I felt like was making a joke about his death… Totally went off in the Lesson and GD… Then the person just antagonized me and I went for the bait... Even Quest replied with something like "Thought this would be all good memories, but oh man, someone is really pissed…" Felt really dumb after that…

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Wed Apr-08-20 04:28 AM

19. "Something I said to Fire in a Solange post"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it was her and Lightworks saying the album was boring or wack or whatever. Fire always said "The Lesson Hates" women, and I responded to her saying that this album is getting a lot of praise, but the only two women in the post were hating on it. Basically trying to say 'Why not let the Lesson love a woman's work for once?" The infamous SoWhat jumped in and I went off, b/c we didn't like each other. I had some decent points, but at some point during my tirade, I said that maybe Fire hates herself, which I should NOT have said. I went too far trying to defend what I thought was good music. Fire didn't even respond. I don't even know if I've seen Fire since then. Either way, I always liked her, and I genuinely believe she's a great person who stands firm on some truly admirable beliefs and didn't deserve that at all. If you ever read these boards anymore, I would like to sincerely apologize for reacting so childishly and emotionally.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Thu Apr-09-20 07:44 AM

20. "I remember that"
In response to Reply # 19

honestly though SoWhat had some issues that I hope he ironed out, his cheering section in GD didn't make things better because they cosigned everything he did and flipped the script when other people did or said the same things. He showed a pattern of behavior that someone should have reached out to him about sooner, instead of yass-ing everytime he posted.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Apr-15-20 11:32 PM

22. "could people use this post to admit to alter egos?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty sure some of y’all posted under pseudonym accounts. Come clean here

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Apr-16-20 08:09 AM

23. "Nothing off the top. Gotta dog through the Archives to jog memory"
In response to Reply # 0

I do know I was a young, earnest kid when I started here.

And like someone said above this felt like the Wild West ha

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 04:58 PM

24. "I said Digable Planets had a better catalog than Tribe"
In response to Reply # 0

I still believe it, i shouldnt have made the post tho.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 06:45 PM

25. "They only have two albums. LOL"
In response to Reply # 24

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 12:03 AM

26. "awwwwww"
In response to Reply # 0

good to see some of these people here.

Lyle - how's the hair?!?

Garhart - still poppin' ass AND talkin' trash! Double threat. Put on some Blind Willie Johnson and think about the old days here.

The Doc - not still referring to himself in the third person, but still The Doc. Love you dude. Or, should I say, love the Doc, ,dude.

Obsidian, spirit, brew, amritsar, good folks from way back.

Took a look through the archives, only post in there I think I did was dumb was the one about the pussification of the male in rock culture. Was a joke post to a large extent, and turned out a betterpost than expected, but I regret the terminology and dismissiveness. thebigfunk's response to that post sort of sets the tone for why i regret doing it the way I did it.

Looking through the archives, respect to Disco, menphyel7 and shamecca who're doing their thing in the great beyond. And thanks to the posters who encouraged me to think harder about music and the music I wanted to make, AFKAP, thebigfunk, MrHood75, buckshot defunct, King Friday, denny, imcvspl of course, inpulse, Kate404, tahneeu, Malice especially, Wendell, OldPro, programmusic, TommyWhy, spew120, shock, Austin, JAKE, howisya and ajiav, SO many others.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 07:26 AM

27. "RE: awwwwww"
In response to Reply # 26

Good to see you popping up here - hope all is well with you!

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 08:51 AM

28. "Good to hear from you !"
In response to Reply # 26

Hope you're doing well man. Don't be a stranger.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3023042 Previous topic | Next topic