Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3022781

Subject: "BLVK CVSTLE - Anthem of Love (?)" Previous topic | Next topic
JtothaI
Charter member
17131 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"BLVK CVSTLE - Anthem of Love (?)"
Fri Mar-13-20 11:42 AM by JtothaI

EP Dropped last week...any idea who this is? Off the Wall esque MJ, Chopped and screwed all in one?

"Fried Chicken" https://youtu.be/KLAyV8DpJ_s

https://lnk.to/blvkcvstle

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
thanks for sharing this
Mar 16th 2020
RE: thanks for sharing this
Mar 16th 2020

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "thanks for sharing this"
In response to Reply # 0

Not really sure what to make of it - but I listened to the EP twice and will probably return to it, so I guess that's a tentative rec? Thanks for posting it!

There's something goofy about this guy that I kind of appreciate - like Anthem of Love is absurd, especially lyrically, but it's also sort of fun and (I think) in on the joke? And we could probably use some straight up corn cakes right now, lord knows.

Fried chicken is actually pretty legit - some of the individual touches (the screwed section) keep it from feeling like straight mimicry or aping MJ/80s pop & funk. The instrumental section that starts around 2:30, with the drum shift and some blurry synth action got my attention stat, as did the outro shift at the end.

SPACE feels super cool to me for some reason. Lots of instrumental flourishes and he lets everything air out more here - wish it was longer. Might be my favorite of the set.

GITMO was unnecessary.

Interested to hear more - can't decide what to make of it and he could wind up being a Bruno Mars sort of act to me (impressive performer and instrumentalist but never finds *that* thing to make him feel more substantial as an artist).

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

JtothaI
Charter member
17131 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: thanks for sharing this"
In response to Reply # 1

>Not really sure what to make of it - but I listened to the EP
>twice and will probably return to it, so I guess that's a
>tentative rec? Thanks for posting it!

Great recap and thoughts on this, I'm on the same page..especially with GITMO.

I haven't seen anyone really posting about it on social media and haven't seen any other information except from Soulbounce who claims they were able to find out who was behind it and were sworn to secrecy.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3022781 Previous topic | Next topic