Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3021754

Subject: "The Roots 'Phrenology' - Vinyl Me Please Feb ROTM" Previous topic | Next topic
201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Mon Jan-27-20 07:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots 'Phrenology' - Vinyl Me Please Feb ROTM"

I've always dug this album. Certainly not my favorite, but in hindsight definitely ranked towards the top of the catalogue...

http://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/roots-phrenology-vinyl/

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My favorite Roots album
Jan 28th 2020
I love this album. Not my favorite of theirs but top 3 or 4.
Jan 28th 2020
I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead is the Hip Hop LP of the month too
Jan 28th 2020
it looks so good
Jan 28th 2020
School me on Vinyl Me Please
Jan 28th 2020
Sounds like Vinyl Me Please
Jan 28th 2020
I am on the 3-month deal
Jan 28th 2020
It's a monthly vinyl subscription service
Jan 28th 2020
      this is a lot more descriptive than anything I found on their site
Jan 28th 2020
           I mean, you're already paying $27 for El-P
Jan 29th 2020
Somewhat interesting reissue design
Jan 28th 2020
VMP tyically puts out a really high quality product.
Jan 28th 2020
It's my favorite album
Feb 06th 2020
This site went off the rails with the hatred for Phrenology
Feb 09th 2020

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5288 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 07:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My favorite Roots album"
In response to Reply # 0

Closest thing we got to a Thought solo.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24379 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 09:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I love this album. Not my favorite of theirs but top 3 or 4."
In response to Reply # 1

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 08:55 AM

2. "I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead is the Hip Hop LP of the month too"
In response to Reply # 0

I rejoined to grab both.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 10:17 AM

4. "it looks so good"
In response to Reply # 0

i always loved this album. probably top 5 for me of theirs. i am very tempted to rejoin for it. if it doesnt sell out come pay day i might do it.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "School me on Vinyl Me Please "
In response to Reply # 0

Mind you, I actually signed up for the El-P reissue (wanted to cop Phren but seems like it's already sold out). Is this like on some BMG/Columbia House ish?

I probably should have read the terms and condition BEFORE signing up but here I am.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 04:07 PM

7. "Sounds like Vinyl Me Please "
In response to Reply # 5

is going to school your wallet if you didn't read the fine or large print beforehand.

In all seriousness, I hope you only signed up for the short term deal and didn't anchor yourself for that annual agreement. If you did, I hope the records that are available for you suit your needs and tastes.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

seandammit
6522 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 06:35 PM

10. "I am on the 3-month deal "
In response to Reply # 7

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 04:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "It's a monthly vinyl subscription service"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Jan-28-20 04:29 PM by Hitokiri

You sign up for 3, 6, or 12 months and a track that you're interested in (Essentials, Rap/Hip-Hop, or Classics) each month they select and Album of The Month for that track. It began as only one track "Record of The Month" but that became Essentials when they added the other two tracks. So, for each month you're subscribed they send you the record they've selected. Essentials had typically leaned Indie or Alt Rock, but that's has changed since they added the other tracks (now it can be anything from Jorge Ben to Queens of The Stone Age to Miles Davis to Artic Monkeys). Rap and Hip Hop is obvious. Classics are Jazz/Soul/Blues albums from before 1980. The records are always a VMP exclusive pressing. What that means varies. Sometimes it's just a colored variant of an album. Sometimes it's the first time it's been pressed on vinyl. It's often the first pressing in a long time. Last year, for example they pressed Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik and it was the first time the entire album, the full tracklist has been pressed. They also did Tical... which was just a colored variant of a widely available release. With the Classics track, it's almost always something that's been out of print for a long time.

Their product is always top notch, great sounding records. If you don't like a record of the month you're scheduled to get, you can swap it out for a past ROTM or for something else in their store. The store is a combination of their ROTMs, other albums they've done exclusive pressings of (usually less that 2000 copies pressed) and some other commonly available records. They do a lot of exclusive pressings. Some for up-and-coming artists, some for new releases (usually a colored variant). Some for rare and/or our of print records. Some of those go really fast and end up selling for a lot on the resale market. For example last year they pressed De La Soul is Dead.... limited to 1000 copies I believe and it sold out in minutes. Resale price is around $80. Sometimes they press really cool stuff.

That being said, in late November/early December they upgraded their web platform and it has caused a massive shitshow that they seem to finally be recovering from. People weren't getting their orders, were getting things they didn't order... one person was sent 25 copies of their exclusive pressing of The Infamous while other people who ordered it were told it was sold out. Like I said, they seem to be getting a handle on that now, but the next few months might still be a little shaky.

I've been a member for going on 3 years now.
And I don't see Phrenology as being sold out. You should be able to "add a track" from your membership page for $23.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

seandammit
6522 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 06:36 PM

11. "this is a lot more descriptive than anything I found on their site"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks.

I signed up for the 3-month deal (to get the El-P reissue), but wouldn't mind that Phrenology one, either. But not about to pay an additional $23 just to get that if it's not on my "track" and I'm not up for a swap this month.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Wed Jan-29-20 09:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "I mean, you're already paying $27 for El-P"
In response to Reply # 11

so $23 for The Roots seems pretty reasonable to me. And as a member you get free shipping. You are eligible for swaps, but if you don't like the pick for the March R/HH ROTM you could potentially swap for Phrenology then. Potentially. Tons of people signed up in November when Queens of the Stone Age was the Essentials ROTM, there'd has been really high demand for that record for years (and it was the first reissue in 20 years/first since the original pressing), so the track sold out. Those people were locked into 3 month subs, which would have expired last month, but the subscription automatically rolls over, so I would bet that a lot of people are still subscribed and so there may be some danger that Phrenology sells out before March. Can't be sure. But if you're so-so on that album, I get that. And if you decide you want it later there are always plenty of copies on the after-sale market, albeit for significantly more.

--

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 04:05 PM

6. "Somewhat interesting reissue design"
In response to Reply # 0

I wonder (from afar mind you because Vinyl Me Please is a bit too rich for my blood) how durable that cover is. Seems like a good idea in theory, but I wonder how quickly that cover will degrade.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 04:25 PM

9. "VMP tyically puts out a really high quality product."
In response to Reply # 6

--

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14981 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 02:21 AM

13. "It's my favorite album"
In response to Reply # 0

It's completely different than all their others. BT was amazing on that album, Quills is one of my favorite Roots tracks

-----------------------------------------------------------------

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sun Feb-09-20 06:19 AM

14. "This site went off the rails with the hatred for Phrenology "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-09-20 06:19 AM by spirit

The shit never made sense. FWMJ hated on this record so hard, he somehow Jedi Mind tricked his way into Questo’s inner circle. I still don’t like Kweli’s guest verse, but other than that, this is a good record. Shrug. Maybe it’s because Break U Off (Musiq version) is probably the weakest single they’ve had (my opinion). Maybe people weren’t ready for Thought singing hooks? Shrug.

>I've always dug this album. Certainly not my favorite, but in
>hindsight definitely ranked towards the top of the
>catalogue...
>
>http://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/roots-phrenology-vinyl/

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3021754 Previous topic | Next topic