Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3021685

Subject: "new Kota the Friend - Lyrics to Go vol. I" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 09:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new Kota the Friend - Lyrics to Go vol. I"

Ten tracks, 15 minutes, none of them reaching the 2 minute mark --- basically one long verse a track, no hooks. It works well for him here I think. Sound and feel are similar to Foto. He's such a good lyricist and the shorter format helps to spotlight that.

Standout to me so far is probably "She"

Out on the usual channels. Hopefully the "vol 1" means we're getting more of these this year...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
really great
Jan 24th 2020
so i guess "lyrics to GO"
Jan 27th 2020
      i need to look into this
Jan 30th 2020
RE: new Kota the Friend - Lyrics to Go vol. I
Jan 30th 2020
I didn't care for "FOTO" on 1st listen but this is nice...
Jan 30th 2020
FOTO would have been great if it got the LTG treatment
Jan 31st 2020
      RE: FOTO would have been great if it got the LTG treatment
Jan 31st 2020
Who is this guy? Why have I only recently heard about him?
Jan 31st 2020

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jan-24-20 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "really great"
In response to Reply # 0

nothing but rhymes and hes so good with it. some beats are better than others but overall its a great listen.

i was wondering what this would be when he announced it. i figured with vol 1 it would be a full length. when i saw 10 tracks i thought it would be like 40 minutes lol. after like 6 songs i noticed the running length. dont really mind that its short.

he seems to be constantly making music so whatever he puts out im good with.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Mon Jan-27-20 07:34 AM

2. "so i guess "lyrics to GO""
In response to Reply # 1

is actually a series of shorts that he's been doing for a while now on Youtube. (If you search kota lyrics to GO you'll get a bunch.) But the album looks like all new songs that hadn't been previously posted.

I read that he suggested a compilation of all the youtube tracks might be on its way.

-thebigfunk

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 04:37 PM

5. "i need to look into this"
In response to Reply # 2

gatsbythegreat
Member since Jan 04th 2008
158 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 03:11 PM

3. "RE: new Kota the Friend - Lyrics to Go vol. I"
In response to Reply # 0

Another solid project from Kota. Think he's primed to blow up.

It was all a dream
http://soundcloud.com/gatsby-the-great-1

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 04:20 PM

4. "I didn't care for "FOTO" on 1st listen but this is nice..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've been meaning to go back & give "FOTO" another chance based on how much cats in OKP like it. Maybe it would take me a couple listens or maybe I was just way off base.

But before I've been able to do that, I peeped "LTG, vol 1." And on the 1st listen, I like this a lot better. I still don't know if I like it as much as you guys do but this will get a lot of spins from me. And I'll keep him on my radar too.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 11:41 AM

7. "FOTO would have been great if it got the LTG treatment"
In response to Reply # 4

The problem I have with FOTO is that it goes on too long for an album that doesn't have much range. I love Kota's sound, it's great music to just relax and vibe out to, but for an hour straight I need him to stretch his range a bit and take some chances/explore outside of his comfort zone. I could make a 10-12 song album out of FOTO I really like.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 05:56 PM

8. "RE: FOTO would have been great if it got the LTG treatment"
In response to Reply # 7

Agreed that Foto was definitely too long but I wouldn't want it to go as far as this release in brevity. His chosen tempo and sound are definitely consistent to the point of repetition, and although his lyrical approach and perspective is pretty diverse (he actually grounds most tracks on FOTO in a clear subject or concept), the overall subject matter can still feel a bit repetitive. So every track is solid in its own right but exhausting near the end of a longer stretch.

I like LTG a lot but I feel like you get less of his personality as a whole - he's in and out and that works for delivering one-liners, less so for delivering larger concepts. Still a great release though - "Hero" has really grown on me, and so has the last song "Retirement Plan" (except for that one's opening line - I had to cringe a bit at that).

-thebigfunk

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 10:45 AM

6. "Who is this guy? Why have I only recently heard about him?"
In response to Reply # 0

I need some questions answered

Someone explain this person to me.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Lobby The Lesson topic #3021685 Previous topic | Next topic