Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3020513

Subject: "Who hurt Beck in outer space?" Previous topic | Next topic
High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sat Nov-23-19 04:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who hurt Beck in outer space?"

Hyperspace, new Beck album - majority of it produced by Pharrell.

Digging it. Soft synths, woozy, melancholy.
A couple songs have a little bit of that early Beck grunge, an N.E.R.D. influence.

Favorite tracks after first listen:
Hyperspace - produced by Pharrell.
Stratosphere
Saw Lightning - produced by Pharrell. If there’s a single, I imagine this is it.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not feelin it
Nov 23rd 2019
ya i agree
Nov 24th 2019
???
Nov 25th 2019
The homeless guy on STEREOPATHETIC SOULMANURE he sang "No Money No Honey...
Nov 24th 2019
Listened to this once Friday
Nov 25th 2019
I saw Beck at an outdoor show over the summer....
Nov 25th 2019
It's interesting seeing people's viewpoints on this album.
Nov 27th 2019

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Sat Nov-23-19 08:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not feelin it"
In response to Reply # 0

the trap drums and raps are kinda cringeworthy IMO. die waiting is probably my least favorite beck song of all time. there are some good songs, though, and the second half is alot better than the first.

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5464 posts
Sun Nov-24-19 11:40 PM

3. "ya i agree"
In response to Reply # 1

usually Beck has the ability to slide into whatever sonic genre he's experimenting with, but this one sounds forced

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Nov-25-19 09:42 AM

4. "???"
In response to Reply # 1

>the trap drums and raps are kinda cringeworthy IMO.

There's very light trap on two tracks, maybe three if we're being really loose with our definitions of "trap" - all of them are super subdued and feel more a part of the futuristic-glitchy-blurry aesthetic than an effort to be hip or current. And the raps feel mostly like Beck to me, who has always had a bit of a corny streak in him anyway... (I definitely wouldn't call it cringeworthy but different strokes). Honestly, the whole thing feels more like a nod to the space-themed music of Elton/Bowie and the sort of blurry-haze of a certain vein of 70s music than anything current, even though it has some overt today-pop moments.

>there are some good songs, though, and the second half is alot
>better than the first.

This I definitely agree with. I could have done without the guest emcee on the full version of Hyperspace - it's a perfectly fine verse but feels a bit contrived where it is. I didn't hate "Die Waiting" as much as you but it wasn't a favorite; I would drop it and "See through" in a heartbeat. But the album as a whole runs really well to me and more than makes up for any individual flaws. "Uneventful days," "Stratosphere," and "Everlasting Nothing" are favorites, with Chemical and Dark Places not far behind.

But

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun Nov-24-19 09:43 PM

2. "The homeless guy on STEREOPATHETIC SOULMANURE he sang "No Money No Honey..."
In response to Reply # 0

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Mon Nov-25-19 11:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Listened to this once Friday"
In response to Reply # 0

I knew this shit was going to be groovy based on the cover

Wish there were a few more upbeat/weird Beck tunes on here but overall I'm digging it

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Mon Nov-25-19 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I saw Beck at an outdoor show over the summer...."
In response to Reply # 0

He played "Saw Lightning" and a huge lightning storm came sweeping through and they had to postpone the show for safety hazards. As everyone was piling in the building to wait, he stood on stage and apologized.

Shit was great.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Wed Nov-27-19 09:14 AM

7. "It's interesting seeing people's viewpoints on this album."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-27-19 09:19 AM by phemom

It's a lot more decisive than most albums.....I think that's because Beck's discography is so varied people always want different things from him.

For me, I like it because it sounds like a meeting of both Beck & NERD.

I bet this album would sound great on a roadtrip....probably should've dropped in the summer.

A Sky Ferrira x Pharrell would be dope....and probably really expensive.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Lobby The Lesson topic #3020513 Previous topic | Next topic