Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3020079

Subject: "Why's Stalley so underrated?" Previous topic | Next topic
twofifteen
Member since Sep 17th 2019
9 posts
Mon Nov-04-19 06:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why's Stalley so underrated?"

new project is one of the best of 2019
no gimmicks or controversy, just bars

https://open.spotify.com/album/1qaH4ywpZPHtwyfOGVEmrp?si=kiDr2HvZQf-XMOt2UuzJkg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dug his last one
Nov 07th 2019
RE: Why's Stalley so underrated?
Nov 10th 2019
I'm still a fan...but he seems to have an identity crisis.
Nov 12th 2019
reminds me a bit of skyzoo
Nov 21st 2019

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 08:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "dug his last one"
In response to Reply # 0

didn't realize he had a new one...

looking forward to my commute tomorrow, thanks!

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

jimaveli
Charter member
6586 posts
Sun Nov-10-19 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Why's Stalley so underrated?"
In response to Reply # 0

>new project is one of the best of 2019
>no gimmicks or controversy, just bars
>
>https://open.spotify.com/album/1qaH4ywpZPHtwyfOGVEmrp?si=kiDr2HvZQf-XMOt2UuzJkg

I think that's just it..he didn't have an established 'lane' or 'wave'. And right, there was no shenanigans.

Lincoln Way Nights was pretty much a c-word album to me. I wore it all the way out. Supreme production and the raps were right in the pocket from where I sat. Ohio and the first MMG mixtape/album were money too. I don't know what happened really.

I fell into Stalley at the same time I did with the current rendition of Curren$y for instance. I thought they both blazed Address from Pilot Talk and was in on them both ever since.

Maybe he's too much of a 90s rapper with the spaced out releases where Curren$y is so prolific that he wins on sheer volume, show money, and side hustles. Also, Spitta has managed the hell out of his relationships to get the producers and collabs to keep him around. Meanwhile, it seems like Stalley had his main crew and that was him at his best even when he got with MMG. And even though it didn't work, I saw the MMG move as logical at the time. But hey, can we say for sure that Wale won out via MMG after the initial run? Is Ross himself winning when he's one of the few dudes messing around with major label stuff (changing singles, rejecting albums/songs) in 2019? Maybe the lump sums makes it all okay in his case.

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Tue Nov-12-19 02:35 AM

3. "I'm still a fan...but he seems to have an identity crisis."
In response to Reply # 0

I was (and still am) big on his work with Rashad - LWN, Ohio, a gang of B-Sides. It was a distinct, quality sound. Ohio just wasn't marketed correctly IMO and wasn't as successful as it could have been. But during that run he had a gang of good, focused projects - Honest Cowboy, Savage Journey, Saving Yusuf, some I'm not remembering...then after his MMG breakup, he drops the Tell the Truth series which he's just going all the way left and really not sounding like himself, a disappointment to say the least. His recent work finds him getting back into his groove, so hopefully he can find his legs again.

Streets won't let me chill.

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 03:30 PM

4. "reminds me a bit of skyzoo"
In response to Reply # 0

in that he can really rap, makes quality projects, & is generally forgettable once i'm done listening

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3020079 Previous topic | Next topic