Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019891

Subject: "Songs / Albums you wish you could hear again for the first time" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Songs / Albums you wish you could hear again for the first time"

We've all had moments when hearing an album for the first time where it seems like time stands still or that we know our understanding of music has changed simply by hearing that album or song.

I wish I could hear Midnight Marauders and The Low End Theory again that way. Same for The Chronic, Like Water for Chocolate, Dig Your Own Hole, Nevermind, Maggot Brain, and a bunch more.

What songs or albums do you wish you could re-experience for the first time?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i recently got to share Endtroducing
Oct 30th 2019
Yeah, Endtroducing is one of those albums
Oct 30th 2019
      This and Deadringer by RJ i wish i could experience fresh again
Oct 31st 2019
Rainy Dayz from the Purple Tape.....
Oct 30th 2019
I'd imagine there are alot of people who feel the same way about BFCL
Oct 30th 2019
Post jack that I wasn't brave enough to make a full thread:
Oct 30th 2019
This is an interesting idea
Nov 01st 2019
Damn that's a great question.
Oct 30th 2019
Good stuff.
Nov 01st 2019
OB4CL
Oct 30th 2019
its wild how we can remember places we heard shit first...
Oct 31st 2019
Rebel Without a Pause, Bombs Over Baghdad, Voodoo
Oct 31st 2019
These days album anniversary projects kinda give that feeling
Oct 31st 2019
Oh sick. Thanks for this.
Oct 31st 2019
      RE: Oh sick. Thanks for this.
Oct 31st 2019
it's about to be one of those times... OOTBY
Oct 31st 2019
you are now about to witness the strength of Street Knowledge
Oct 31st 2019
Herbie Hancock's SUNLIGHT
Oct 31st 2019
Enter the 36 Chambers and Kind of Blue
Oct 31st 2019
Mos&Talib Black Star, Words&Sounds Vol. 1, Comfort Woman
Nov 01st 2019
A song for me b/w watching someone else's first.
Nov 01st 2019
That's the only thing that comes close to hearing a classic ...
Nov 01st 2019
Esthero “Breath From Another”
Nov 01st 2019
Great album
Nov 03rd 2019

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5466 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i recently got to share Endtroducing"
In response to Reply # 0

with someone who hadn't ever heard it before
and i was THOROUGHLY jealous of the experience they were about to have

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 06:27 PM

3. "Yeah, Endtroducing is one of those albums"
In response to Reply # 1

I wonder how different it is listening to it now in 2019 than in '96? when it came out.

But that album blew me away. To me that album is the beginning of a new genre - its hip-hop obviously but with the same 'lyricism' as a jazz or classical piece. Made me a lifetime fan of Shadow's.

I'm gonna have to load that in Spotify for nostalgia's sake.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 10:00 PM

16. "This and Deadringer by RJ i wish i could experience fresh again"
In response to Reply # 3

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 03:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Rainy Dayz from the Purple Tape....."
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 06:28 PM

4. "I'd imagine there are alot of people who feel the same way about BFCL"
In response to Reply # 2

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 07:19 PM

5. "Post jack that I wasn't brave enough to make a full thread:"
In response to Reply # 0

I want to go back to a time when I could listen to Dr. Dre, Puff, and whoever else, and not hear the "spirit" of the person who actually wrote the lyrics. Like, that shit is cool trivia, but now it's like "Oh, that's Em/Kendrick/Game/Snoop/Kiss/Pharaohe spitting that".

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 01:31 AM

18. "This is an interesting idea"
In response to Reply # 5

By, 'spirit', do you mean listening to their lyrics as if they were unknown and you were learning the styles of those MC's like you did when you first heard them? Or do you mean that the status of those MC's disrupts your appreciation of their skills? Or something else entirely?

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 09:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Damn that's a great question."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-30-19 09:17 PM by Brew

I mean there are a million I could name that would fall into this category but ... for the sake of time and brevity, the most magical/impactful listening experiences upon my first listens to an album were:

Dr. Dre "The Chronic"
I fell in love with hip-hop with this album. I was watching MTV and saw an Ice Cube video; for the life of me I can't remember what song it was but I know it was Ice Cube. I loved the low riders in the video and more importantly my head was nodding like crazy. So I talked to some older neighbors I rode bikes with about how blown away I was by the music whatever Cube song it was and one of them gave me The Chronic tape and - holy shit did the complexity and power of these beats blow my 9 year old mind lol. Never looked back.

Reflection Eternal "Train of Thought"
What a damn experience this album was. It's so perfect. My favorite album of all time. By this time I was in high school and had expanded from almost exclusively listening to west coast/g-funk to the Rawkus/Soulquarian movement so I'd heard some Roots, Common, Mos Def/BlackStar/etc. by this time. I loved all of it, but this album IMO was the best front to back experience of them all. I say it all the time around these parts but I could write a book about how great this album is, and how important and nostalgic it is for me, but I'll save you guys the novel for now. But yea - this album is just so powerful IMO.

Jay-Z "The Blueprint"
Another album I could write a ton of words about but I'll just say it came out my senior year in high school and really just defined that whole year. So many great memories tied to it and it's just so so so damn good front to back.

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
Heard this in college (typical white dude shit) while smoking and yea - not much to say that hasn't been said a million times about this one but I definitely grew up a lot with this one and it opened up my mind a lot.

OutKast "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below"
I could probably name like 3 or 4 OutKast albums but this one sticks out just cause of the time of my life in which it came out (sophomore year of college) when I was simultaneously discovering myself in a lot of ways and having just a TON of fun. And obviously besides the nostalgia that's tied to this album, it was just a damn good listening experience and as we all know it stretched the limits of hip-hop despite whatever gripes we may individually have with some parts of it (bad singing, for example lol). And "Hey Ya" is of course just a timeless dance/party jam.

Q-Tip "The Renaissance"
Came out when I moved out of state and again, just a beautiful album that I remember zoning out to almost exclusively for like 4 straight months. Tons of road trips, plane rides, etc. when I just wore this album OUTTT haha.

PRhyme "PRhyme"
When this came out I was in the midst of a pretty significant dry spell in terms of hearing new hip-hop music. And Royce and Preem just decided to remind me ... no, hit me over the damn head to remind me why I loved hip-hop music so much. No lie I have every lyric memorized on this album and listened to it front to back incessantly for damn near a whole year. Such a gem.

Like I said there are a ton of other albums that would qualify for this post for me, but these ones are the most meaningful for the reasons stated above and as I went through I realized I was creating sort of a chronological timeline so I stuck with that; one album for each kind of listening era. For example I'd love to hear Doggystyle again for the first time but I kinda tie that in with The Chronic and that whole g-funk/west coast movement so I'm refraining from going that deep cause I could probably go on forever.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 01:35 AM

19. "Good stuff."
In response to Reply # 6

It's interesting how sometimes the place in life you're at affects how music impacts you. That the music itself alone isn't what rewires your musical understanding but the music hitting your mind at the right time in your life.

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 09:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "OB4CL"
In response to Reply # 0

I can still recall every minute detail of that first night and the sheer awe I felt absorbing that shit.

first time Criminology hit me with them horns & Scarface sample I;ll never forget

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 10:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "its wild how we can remember places we heard shit first..."
In response to Reply # 7

....like even if its some dumb and random place, it's still imprinted with that music

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 05:45 AM

8. "Rebel Without a Pause, Bombs Over Baghdad, Voodoo"
In response to Reply # 0

Sign O the Times
Dirty Mind
Kashmir
Lysol (The Melvins)

**Loaded Luxe vs. Calicoe battle

...just a few off the dome

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 10:12 AM

9. "These days album anniversary projects kinda give that feeling"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-31-19 10:15 AM by ProgressiveSound

I especially appreciate the ones that incorporate the original samples and other extras from the time period and make it all blend perfectly. Gives older/classic albums a whole new life.

This recent 25th anniversary mix of Common’s Resurrection is in constant rotation:
https://www.whosampled.com/news/category/mixes/

* There’s also dope mixes of The Chronic, Doggystyle, and Tribe and others

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Oh sick. Thanks for this."
In response to Reply # 9

I agree re: the anniversaries making me revisit favorites that I haven't necessarily listened to in a while. All three of the albums you just named qualify haha. I still know the lyrics front to back on all three of those albums.

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:09 PM

13. "RE: Oh sick. Thanks for this."
In response to Reply # 10

>I agree re: the anniversaries making me revisit favorites
>that I haven't necessarily listened to in a while. All three
>of the albums you just named qualify haha. I still know the
>lyrics front to back

Word. I hear that.
Enjoy..

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 11:32 AM

12. "it's about to be one of those times... OOTBY "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-31-19 11:33 AM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 01:29 PM

14. "you are now about to witness the strength of Street Knowledge "
In response to Reply # 0

me and 2 of my guys were sitting in his Nissan Stanza and what we heard after that changed everything we thought we knew about music.
we all just sat there mouths agape song after song.

Stevie's Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 04:17 PM

15. "Herbie Hancock's SUNLIGHT"
In response to Reply # 0

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 11:43 PM

17. "Enter the 36 Chambers and Kind of Blue"
In response to Reply # 0

I never knew what a paradigm shift sounded like until I heard 36 Chambers. And this was right after listening to the masterpiece that is Midnight Marauders. When the tape finished I had to sit in silence and process what I heard for 10 minutes. I would love to have that kind of moment again

With Kind of Blue I would have liked to listen in a darkened room with a pristine stereo and a glass of Glenfiddich 18. By time Flamenco Sketches comes on I imagine I'd be in tears

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 11:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "Mos&Talib Black Star, Words&Sounds Vol. 1, Comfort Woman"
In response to Reply # 0

Dummy
Endtroducing
Love Deluxe
It Takes a Nation of Millions
Stronger Than Pride
Sign of The Times

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 04:29 PM

21. "A song for me b/w watching someone else's first."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-01-19 04:41 PM by phemom

Personally there's a bunch, but above a lot is this song by Janelle Monae: Sincerly, Jane

https://youtu.be/xCzSZTkEMpo

This record just awakens me spiritually which sounds like I'm overhyping it but I'm not. The way the song goes from scared, to angry, to the Outkast/Organized Noize bounce just hits me perfectly.

The vocals during the second chorus is everything to me.

As for someone else. This past week I want record shopping with a friend that is jumping out of her electronic/pop rock roots and listening to more hip-hop.

She suggests I pick her something to get, and it was risky but I went with Donuts...and she has no idea what a Dilla is. She likes The Roots so I knew she's at the very least would like Donut of the Heart.

She plays Donuts first and I tell her about how it was made, Dilla's impact in Detroit hip-hop, and a couple words about people who made songs with each track and she just clicked with it off top lol. Her 3 and 5 year old daughters were bouncing around to it and everything....it was a really dope moment.

The only record she didn't like was The Factory, and to be fair it's sticks out compared to everything else. Also, I'm convinced EVERYONE that has heard Lightworks loves it.

Now I gotta burn her the Roots versions of the beats and see if she likes those too.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 11:23 PM

23. "That's the only thing that comes close to hearing a classic ..."
In response to Reply # 21

.. for the first time, introducing a classic/a personal favorite album to someone who you just *know* will appreciate it and who ultimately does. There's like a feeling of pride lol.

>As for someone else. This past week I want record shopping
>with a friend that is jumping out of her electronic/pop rock
>roots and listening to more hip-hop.
>
>She suggests I pick her something to get, and it was risky but
>I went with Donuts...and she has no idea what a Dilla is. She
>likes The Roots so I knew she's at the very least would like
>Donut of the Heart.
>
>She plays Donuts first and I tell her about how it was made,
>Dilla's impact in Detroit hip-hop, and a couple words about
>people who made songs with each track and she just clicked
>with it off top lol. Her 3 and 5 year old daughters were
>bouncing around to it and everything....it was a really dope
>moment.
>
>The only record she didn't like was The Factory, and to be
>fair it's sticks out compared to everything else. Also, I'm
>convinced EVERYONE that has heard Lightworks loves it.
>
>Now I gotta burn her the Roots versions of the beats and see
>if she likes those too.

Mello
Charter member
2119 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 07:47 PM

22. "Esthero “Breath From Another”"
In response to Reply # 0

I can completely go right back to where I was when I first heard this and how completely blown my mind was. I bought it based on reviews, I had no idea what I was getting into. I had just started exploring stuff like Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack and the reviews tried to put this in that category. Little that I know that this record would take me on a trip through soul, hip hop, rock, drum n’ bass, ambient, lounge, alternative and some elements of jazz. It was an audio head trip. I was at a friends apartment in college, some “enhancements” were consumed but I can safely say that high or sober this record would have had the same impact. By the time we got to Superheroes the room was like “what are we listening to???” Seeing others react similarly to me was probably the highlight of the experience.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Nov-03-19 02:26 AM

24. "Great album"
In response to Reply # 22

Had a similar 'non-enhanced' experience with the album. Really blew me away.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019891 Previous topic | Next topic