Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019793

Subject: "Rakim Is A Top MC, But He Ain’t No Joke As A Producer Either (swipe) " Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 02:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rakim Is A Top MC, But He Ain’t No Joke As A Producer Either (swipe) "

OCTOBER 26, 2019 | PUBLISHED BY MS. BENZO

Rakim is widely revered as one of the greatest MCs in Hip-Hop history. However, as the lyrical legend continues to speak about his career in a new light, he may also deserve recognition as one of the culture’s great producers.

Earlier this week, Rakim stopped by HOT 97’s Ebro In The Morning to promote his new memoir, Sweat The Technique: Revelations On Creativity From The Lyrical Genius. Per usual, Rakim Allah dropped some gems. He touched on many aspects of his career, including time with Dr. Dre, his famous musical aunt Ruth Brown, and influence from Grandmaster Caz, Melle Mel, and Kool Moe Dee. Perhaps most notably, the Wyandanch, Long Island legend opened about his work behind the production boards.

Around the 28:00 mark, Ebro Darden asks Rakim about how his beat selection process works and how involved was he for every track he every rhymed on. The R states, “ Eric B. & Rakim catalog—I may have done 80% of the music myself. early years, I didn’t know how to sample. Peace to my man Patrick Adams, he was the engineer. He’s a big producer and songwriter, but I would go to the studio with a crate full of records. Pat’ looped the beat put this bassline on it, put these horns on it. Back then, I was grabbing samples from these different records. Luckily, Pat knew how to tune the samples. So if I put a horn on it, he made sure the horn was on key with the baseline. Earlier, I had Patrick Adams on that first album, and he facilitated a lot the music the right way.” Patrick Adams worked on Paid In Full and went on to work on 1988’s Follow The Leader.

The production credits on Eric B. & Rakim albums has been a subject of debate. Producers including Large Professor, 45 King, and the late Paul “C” McKasty are among the names said to be responsible, despite credits reverting to the group. In a recent Breakfast Club interview, Rakim credited Paul C. with teaching him things, and with producing “In The Ghetto.”

While speaking to Stretch Armstrong & Bobbito’s What’s Good last year about Paid in Full, Rakim described his input on the sounds. “At that point, you know, fresh out the street, fresh out the park, fresh out the basement parties and things of that nature. 1985, I was, you know, considered like, you know, a B-boy MC. I liked rhyming off of break-beats. A lot of the songs that we picked was joints I used to rhyme off in the park. Paid In Full, I used to rhyme off of Dennis Edwards’ all the time.”

At Ebro In The Morning, Rakim credited collaborator Pete Rock for his input on the God MC producing 1992’s “Juice (Know The Ledge).” At 37:00, Rakim recalls how, after viewing the crime-thriller, he was asked to do the title track to match the on-screen action. “I just seen , and I got the whole idea of what I just seen in my head. Maybe a week before that, I went shopping. I used to do my little record shopping and I would play my joints, listen to them, and then I would take the good ones, and put them at the front of the stack. So I get back to the crib and I know I got that stack waiting. I pulled the record out. First record.” Rakim, an avid Jazz fan since childhood, mimics Nat Adderley’s “Rise, Sally Rise” bassline. “I started looking around the room like, ‘this sh*t is too easy, man.’ took the record off looped the beat up. I had the SP12 in the crib, and you only get like 12 seconds . Pete Rock taught me how to manipulate it. Sample fast, and then slow it down. What up, Pete! I ain’t forget, kid,” Rakim salutes.

At 29:00, Rakim tells Ebro In The Morning about that Jazz foundation. He recalls, “My moms and pops would play a lot of Jazz in the crib. I noticed young that Jazz didn’t have to have words on it to give you a feeling. I always knew that music is supposed to feel. So when I was picking records, I would listen.” Rakim describes the different feelings he got from those records. If they were evocative, he’d sample them. “I always like writing to records that attracted me to it right away. Sometimes it wasn’t the popular choice that I guess was the universal sound. , I would pick abstract beats, that brought ‘the abstract’ Rakim out.”

In addition to rapping and producing, Rakim is a DJ. Back in 2016, Rakim showed off his DJ skills (embedded below) in a video paying homage to Jam Master Jay with DJ Hurricane. He also displayed his other competence at the Rock The Bells festival in 2010 during a few live shows.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sooo what did Eric B do, exactly ?
Oct 28th 2019
RE: Sooo what did Eric B do, exactly ?
Oct 28th 2019
My only question is why is the Eric B and Rakim stuff much better?
Oct 28th 2019
because Premier, Pete Rock, Clark Kent are better....
Oct 28th 2019
      this is "out there" ?
Oct 28th 2019
           it's a white label from early 96..
Oct 28th 2019
he's also a great DJ, both in the booth and as a turntablist
Oct 28th 2019
on Dr.Dre
Oct 29th 2019
For all Dre's genius and contributions to hip hop, his career is ...
Oct 29th 2019
      Dre had Rakim & Last Emperor.. and fumbled both...
Oct 29th 2019
      wasn't Dre going to work with LL too?
Oct 30th 2019
      I believe so. Ugh.
Oct 30th 2019
      UGH I forgot he ruined Last Emperor. That may be the most egregious.
Oct 30th 2019
      Bishop Lamont basically broke it down a while back:.
Oct 30th 2019
           I get that, but then why sign those artists?
Nov 01st 2019
                This is what's so brutal.
Nov 01st 2019
                It’s not Dre. It’s Jimmy
Nov 01st 2019
                     Got any evidence for this or is this just your own speculation ?
Nov 01st 2019
RE: Rakim Is A Top MC, But He Ain’t No Joke As A Producer Either (swip...
Oct 29th 2019

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 08:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Sooo what did Eric B do, exactly ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Excuse my ignorance but

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Sooo what did Eric B do, exactly ?"
In response to Reply # 1

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3019140&mesg_id=3019140&listing_type=search#3019211

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 10:57 AM

3. "My only question is why is the Eric B and Rakim stuff much better?"
In response to Reply # 0

If he's such a dope producer why isn't he still giving himself dope beats to which he can rap? His solo stuff is not very dope to me.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 11:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "because Premier, Pete Rock, Clark Kent are better...."
In response to Reply # 3

...there was an unreleased Rakim Album in the mid 90's which was ok, but proved he needed heavyweight producers behind him.

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5466 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 12:46 PM

5. "this is "out there" ?"
In response to Reply # 4

>...there was an unreleased Rakim Album in the mid 90's

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "it's a white label from early 96.."
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Oct-28-19 01:13 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn1I7fAiev0

Not as bad as i remember it.. but it didn't sound fresh at all when it dropped.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Mon Oct-28-19 07:09 PM

7. "he's also a great DJ, both in the booth and as a turntablist"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5466 posts
Tue Oct-29-19 01:45 AM

8. "on Dr.Dre"
In response to Reply # 0

man how fucked up is it that we missed out on a collab album btwn the arguable GOAT mc and the arguable GOAT producer - all because dre ain't wanna let ra rap about what he wanted to rap about.
are you fucking kidding me?

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Oct-29-19 08:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "For all Dre's genius and contributions to hip hop, his career is ..."
In response to Reply # 8

.. INFINITELY frustrating/infuriating. Projects and collaborations that went nowhere, missed opportunities, etc. The amount of incredible music we missed out on cause Dre is a fuckin weirdo, man.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Oct-29-19 11:03 AM

11. "Dre had Rakim & Last Emperor.. and fumbled both... "
In response to Reply # 10

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 06:24 AM

12. "wasn't Dre going to work with LL too?"
In response to Reply # 11

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 08:44 AM

14. "I believe so. Ugh."
In response to Reply # 12

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 08:44 AM

13. "UGH I forgot he ruined Last Emperor. That may be the most egregious."
In response to Reply # 11

of them all.

Fuck Dre ! Haha.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 01:58 PM

15. "Bishop Lamont basically broke it down a while back:."
In response to Reply # 10

Dre just won't put his name or his energy behind it unless he believed it was going to be the equivalent to a blockbuster film. The Firm album catching a brick sent him down that path.

If you think about it, he's had on Aftermath at one point or another: Rakim
Last Emperor
Raekwon
Golden State Project (Ras Kass, Xzibit, Saafir)
King T
Joell Ortiz

And none of them dropped an album through the label, at least partially because Dre didn't want to put himself out there.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 01:57 AM

16. "I get that, but then why sign those artists?"
In response to Reply # 15

Like I really dig Rakim and like a lot of the artists on that list. But to think a Rakim album is going 2X platinum, even with Dre producing, is wishful thinking.

Maybe Dre just should have let those artists have a track or two and let them use those songs on an album executive produced by another producer by Dre.

Dre ended up eating up some of those MC's prime years. He's still the GOAT producer to me but he's also made some head-scratching decisions over the years.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 08:55 AM

17. "This is what's so brutal."
In response to Reply # 16

>Dre ended up eating up some of those MC's prime years.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 02:17 PM

18. "It’s not Dre. It’s Jimmy"
In response to Reply # 16

Dre was never the power over there. Jimmy wasn’t even gonna let Em come out unless he had a candy singalong single for his follow up record and that was guarantee to sell millions out the box

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 02:49 PM

19. "Got any evidence for this or is this just your own speculation ?"
In response to Reply # 18

Kon Vee
Member since Dec 17th 2004
348 posts
Tue Oct-29-19 01:53 AM

9. "RE: Rakim Is A Top MC, But He Ain’t No Joke As A Producer Either (swip..."
In response to Reply # 0

Good looking out for this gem! I've always been reading everything I could find on how Eric B & Rakim recorded those classic albums back then and who helped them. Very interesting learning about Patrick Adams!

---

Beats, somebody need beats?
https://soundcloud.com/kvbeats

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019793 Previous topic | Next topic