Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019443

Subject: "Morris Day “On Time: A Princely Life In Funk” (Morris Was A Cokehead..." Previous topic | Next topic
supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Morris Day “On Time: A Princely Life In Funk” (Morris Was A Cokehead..."

Yo...I read this schitt fast as hell, y’all.

I enjoyed the “Shared” narrative with Prince and MD...much like the Time albums, BOTH voices carried the concept and the band, “The Time”.
We knew that here...but it’s good to hear Morris confirm it.

We also knew Mo’ got caught up in the coked out 80’s.
But MAN...if fear it was even worse than he lets on, which leads me to wonder WHO ELSE (besides Vanity) was “partying”.
I mean them still pictures from The 2nd Coming movie project (Controversy era), AND A LOT of the NPG “Pimp Rag, Tootsie Pop & A Cane...Typhoon Hairdo Era”...Prince also looked BLOWED OUT HIS MIND from time to time. But hey, the guy clearly didn’t sleep...ummm...*cough, ough*...yet, the squeaky clean myth prevails (with the exception of the “Black Album/Ecstasy” story, and Sinead O’Connor straight bugging for 30 years...ALL THE WAY UP UNTIL THE SURPRISE ENDING

This is some fascinating stuff.

I’m very curious about WHY THIS NIGGA JUST GLOSS THE FUCK OVER THE ORIGINAL 7 ALBUM LIKE THAT?
Like, o.k., WE KNOW JIMMY & TERRY bankrolled that slumber party.
But that schitt came out, Jesse schitt on the idea of touring the album...AND THAT WAS A WRAP!?!?!?!
That joint ain’t even available NOWHERE on streaming, nada.
WTF?! That silence is deafening, wouldn’t you agree?

Some of my favorite take always were the myth busting revelations that Morris and Prince were heads that enjoyed listening to, and turning each other on to music together. Dreading a lot of the W&L narrative that Prince never listened to schitt like The Beatles or Miles Davis (which always bugged me about their take...and I love them two to the moon and back, but #NAW).
To even imagine Morris and Prince in a midwestern basement in the dead of winter listening to Frank Zappa is such a fucking treat.

We’ve got to get to the point that Prince let us see and believe what we wanted to.
It’s really valuable for ALL of these other folks to tell their stories, not just to capitalize one last time...but so the real heads (like me) can triangulate the real person inside of the vast myth that is, Prince.

That one dude was his own Gene Roddenberry, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Uhuru AND Darth Vader. He got the records to prove it too.

Don’t sleep on this, snap the digital and enjoy that schitt on a snow day. The Lesson of old would’ve think tanked this mug into a platinum post by now,
But look how much thangs done changed.

s.blak
Cuz We’re Cool

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here
Oct 10th 2019
As long as we’re honest about what’s put out and what WE want, we go...
Oct 11th 2019
Was just thinking that this morning-no 7' single edits..
Oct 11th 2019
      It’s all good...I remember when The Lesson was at PEAK Troll.
Oct 11th 2019
      y'all do know there is a facebook page
Oct 11th 2019
           oh Snap...I’m kinda over Facebook
Oct 11th 2019
RE: Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here
Oct 14th 2019
      naaah, you don't wanna go there
Oct 16th 2019
           RE: naaah, you don't wanna go there
Oct 17th 2019
I read a sample and was kinda thrown off by the back & forth
Oct 11th 2019
I definitely want to check this out....probably cop the audio book
Oct 11th 2019
After reading it...I might listen to it on audible
Oct 11th 2019
      Ha...I didn’t add the damn lank (stoner), but now there’s more goodn...
Oct 12th 2019
Copt
Oct 12th 2019
Cool ® thanks for the heads-up, I'll def cop the audio version...
Oct 14th 2019
I really enjoyed this book.
Oct 16th 2019
He really provided some excellent context
Oct 17th 2019
great review Doc. I’m going to see if my local library has this
Oct 20th 2019

aesop socks
Member since Sep 18th 2007
1223 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 09:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here"
In response to Reply # 0

I just picked up that Morris book on the strength of your post. Loved the Originals might do another post on. That 1999 deluxe release announcement was huge that woulda had been anchored back in the day. That post came and went, I need to find a new outlet to geek out about Prince

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 10:00 AM

2. "As long as we’re honest about what’s put out and what WE want, we go..."
In response to Reply # 1

I don’t need the Piano and A Mic 1982 (or whatever that was), I don’t need single versions and radio mixes on expanded versions.
These niggas need a satellite radio channel and a bandcamp page where folks can collect and be as purist as they want, how they want. Press up the vinyl and pay direct if they so desire.

Of course, I want as much up out of them Vaults as possible, mixed and mastered as if it were a Beatles reissue.
Not...out there JUST CAUSE the Beatles have had Christmas product too nearly EVERY YEAR NOW for 35 years.

Prince fans finally deserve some damn respect.
Not to be fleeced by 3-4 different touring groups performing TGIF sing-a-longs.
Die-hards wasn’t feeling them medley-0-rama tours when dude was still here.

Put together a damn package.
Whether it’s in Minneapolis for the celebration, or touring cities like Rolling Loud...get this money, BUT RESPECT ME is all I’m screaming from the bleachers.

Also...at some point, we gonna have to talk about Kirk Johnson.
I definitely ain’t trying to watch that dude play drums WITH NOBODY until he testifies on my O.G. copy of Dirty Mind (on cassette) SOMETHING...A LIE, THE TRUTH, SOMETHING, DAWG!?!?

s.blak
Yes... No... Why?!?! ...COOL

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 12:13 PM

3. "Was just thinking that this morning-no 7' single edits.."
In response to Reply # 2

But yeah...alot of the die hard music folk have left this site.

I do miss the conversation...I tired to get a convo jumping in a FB group I'm in and got called disrespectful because I said "past the first album and maybe a song here or there, who really checked for Snoop like that" and "I never was a Musiq soulchild fan". smh.

Had to tell them folk that I was raised on OKP...they didnt know what I was talking about.

There was a 1999 post in here bout a month ago...*sigh*

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 01:12 PM

4. "It’s all good...I remember when The Lesson was at PEAK Troll."
In response to Reply # 3

And it was damn near impossible to have a good conversation, and your platinum post was mostly back and forth bullschitt with either, mistermaxxx or a circle jerk about Jamiroqui.

FB is not the move, Twitter is annoying, the Org is weirdo-ville.

I still like this place.
I’m glad it’s still here.

Wasted some damn good time here.

s.blak
Yount

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 04:01 PM

6. "y'all do know there is a facebook page"
In response to Reply # 3

for ol' lessonheads right?

it's not as fired up as the old days...folks are older....more mature...and beefs are played out..

but Lesson-folks are still speaking on music on there

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 10:41 PM

8. "oh Snap...I’m kinda over Facebook"
In response to Reply # 6

It’s like going to a party where kids are running around.

s.blak
OnedayI’mgonnabesomebody

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Mon Oct-14-19 07:50 PM

12. "RE: Sad, lots Prince projects dropped this year to little attention here"
In response to Reply # 1

>That post came and went, I need to
>find a new outlet to geek out about Prince

Prince.org?

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Oct-16-19 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "naaah, you don't wanna go there"
In response to Reply # 12

ironically the best P discussions I've had are on Facebook and sometimes Twitter in recent years.

but I think most of us who are interested went on to other things here

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Thu Oct-17-19 09:15 PM

17. "RE: naaah, you don't wanna go there"
In response to Reply # 15

What's wrong with that site? I've never been over there consistently to know what's up with it.

Threads often pop when I Google random R&B/Soul/Funk-related topics.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 01:35 PM

5. "I read a sample and was kinda thrown off by the back & forth"
In response to Reply # 0

I want to read more but I want more Morris and less Prince. That back and forth is throughout the whole damn book?

...the fact that you say he glossed over the O7 project bothers me because I LOVE that album. Like, play certain tracks every single day love that album. Can't find it for cheaper than $50 for cd or vinyl anywhere. What a bummer.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 04:02 PM

7. "I definitely want to check this out....probably cop the audio book"
In response to Reply # 0

this weekend ...

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 10:44 PM

9. "After reading it...I might listen to it on audible"
In response to Reply # 7

Based off of this review alone

s.blak
Play To Win

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Sat Oct-12-19 08:17 PM

11. "Ha...I didn’t add the damn lank (stoner), but now there’s more goodn..."
In response to Reply # 9

Pretty good review of the book:
https://youtu.be/U7TYgSAXTi0

A very dope interview with Morris on the CBC:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/friday-oct-11-2019-bill-nighy-morris-day-and-more-1.5316575/morris-day-on-his-complicated-and-competitive-friendship-with-prince-1.5316689?fbclid=IwAR0Q6BS1ZzwWgeWZGvZx9pbF-u4a_EEDqUOnu_QOc_BkA-gr7RouPYcs2Lk

s.blak
¿Hol’ on..., Hol’ on..., Why Y’all Beating On Schitt?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Sat Oct-12-19 10:18 AM

10. "Copt"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Oct-14-19 09:25 PM

13. "Cool ® thanks for the heads-up, I'll def cop the audio version..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-14-19 09:26 PM by Voodoochilde

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Oct-16-19 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I really enjoyed this book."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-16-19 09:36 AM by Dr Claw

and no joke (and should be a surprise to NO ONE who has been reading this board for a long time) ... my next favorite book in this vein was The Rock Says, written by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson before he even was a movie star. They favor one another.

The way of telling this story was pretty interesting, and hilarious. Because I can actually hear the voices in my head.

Morris actually (maybe unintentionally) dropped a few things that I as a Stan had been wondering about and didn't even connect the dots. Those who read liner notes or follow The Time in general know what I'm talking about.

I thought it was respectful to Prince, and did a good job of contrasting the two of them as people. If Prince lived in (and ultimately succumbed to the weight of) a world of his own creation, Morris was a man who lived on Earth who found himself in that world for a moment in time.

It's gonna be some members of the Purple Army in their feelings about his account of a number of things.

I did like that he talked about his solo records the way he did, I looked them back up again (they in my iTunes)

And you're ABSOLUTELY right, Blak about how some people try to pretend that P didn't listen to BLACK music. I'm like, "how the fuck do you think P came out making it?"

even the book that's about to come out about Prince is going to give you what Prince wanted to see. Between these books and The Prince Podcast you've seen and heard from a lot of people who were there and around him.

On the Original 7ven album, I swear up and down, that album belongs on the list of Jam/Lewis classics. If only because they have a way of putting together projects from artists we haven't heard from in a long time, hitting those nostalgic notes but doing something new. They did this with Janet's UNBREAKABLE, an album I can't stop talking about.

I think it was hard for a lot of people to hear them in that context, yet it didn't involve Prince directly at all. I like that Morris reinforces earlier comments about how he was really hurt by Jimmy and Terry getting fired. You can tell those were his dudes.

On another note I'm glad he didn't really go off on the whole Jesse thing. I love Jesse to death and think he's one of the GOAT for a number of reasons. but man, in that band context, he's turned himself into a bit of a meme/Lexicon term. I call it "Jesse-ing" when someone like say... Al DiMeola pulls the things he does with RTF in recent years.

Speaking of which, SHOUT OUT to Morris for acknowledging bands like RTF and Mahavishnu. You never would have known he was into them if not for this book

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Thu Oct-17-19 10:58 AM

16. "He really provided some excellent context"
In response to Reply # 14

. my next favorite book
>in this vein was The Rock Says, written by Dwayne "The Rock"
>Johnson before he even was a movie star. They favor one
>another.

I can see this

>Morris actually (maybe unintentionally) dropped a few things
>that I as a Stan had been wondering about and didn't even
>connect the dots. Those who read liner notes or follow The
>Time in general know what I'm talking about.

Which parts? Because...once I got the jist of HIS drumming style, I know who I’m hearing NOW on all those records. I even bet he made the final cut on the album version of “International Lover” (on 1999)

>I thought it was respectful to Prince, and did a good job of
>contrasting the two of them as people. If Prince lived in (and
>ultimately succumbed to the weight of) a world of his own
>creation, Morris was a man who lived on Earth who found
>himself in that world for a moment in time.

Considering he’s one of the few people that can take us beyond “Wizard of Purple Oz” myth/status...I think the other voices that would flesh this out best would be, Andre, Owen Husney, Chris Moon, Jimmy Jam, Lisa, Jill Jones.

>It's gonna be some members of the Purple Army in their
>feelings about his account of a number of things.

I sense there is some tension between Morris and Jam & Lewis.

>I did like that he talked about his solo records the way he
>did, I looked them back up again (they in my iTunes)

Them solo album were so confused.
Surprisingly, this new joint he got with Snoop sounds the most comfortable I’ve heard him since The Original 7even.

>And you're ABSOLUTELY right, Blak about how some people try to
>pretend that P didn't listen to BLACK music. I'm like, "how
>the fuck do you think P came out making it?"

It’s ridiculous...Minneapolis afforded Prince the ability to absorb a direct line of Black music IF ANYTHING FROM jazz, blues, and gospel directly into rock n roll, funk, soul, new wave, RAWK... he was surrounded by a pretty rich music background.
That’s one of my main gripes with the Wendy & Susannah Melvoin version of who this cat was, like...trust me, that dude knew who Claire Fischer was a much of a Chaka Kahn stan Prince was before Warner Bros. was even in the picture.
It’s kind of annoying. The dude had range OUT THE GATE, and from here on out...I’ll always know that it was Morris’s Dave Girabaldi licks/swing...that made him endearing to Prince (that was something he had to LEARN from Morris) and an endless inspiration.

>even the book that's about to come out about Prince is going
>to give you what Prince wanted to see. Between these books and
>The Prince Podcast you've seen and heard from a lot of people
>who were there and around him.

I think I’m going to be able to chill on Prince bios after that joint drops.

>On the Original 7ven album, I swear up and down, that album
>belongs on the list of Jam/Lewis classics. If only because
>they have a way of putting together projects from artists we
>haven't heard from in a long time, hitting those nostalgic
>notes but doing something new. They did this with Janet's
>UNBREAKABLE, an album I can't stop talking about.

That record is so way much more of a cohesive Time album to me than Pandemonium.
Pandemonium sounds like that episode of “Cribs” where Wu Tang are out in Cali recording (was it Wu Tang Forever)...like, they knew something was going to sell a million out the gate, period.
But that record is damn near like a Time triple album by Time album norms...and a huge departure (for the first time) from their initial formula.

>I think it was hard for a lot of people to hear them in that
>context, yet it didn't involve Prince directly at all. I like
>that Morris reinforces earlier comments about how he was
>really hurt by Jimmy and Terry getting fired. You can tell
>those were his dudes.

I can tell that that album scared the schitt out of Prince, and he was GLAD to see Jesse sink that ship over there hanging out with D’angelo and Alan Leeds.
But...the way that album has been erased is clearly Jam and Lewis’s doing.
Like...what the hell is the big deal? They should all be really proud of that record.

But yeah...Morris, KNEW...The Time was blowing Prince away conceptually, and making a more honest connection with regular ass folks.
The more I listen to those first 3 albums...That band, that concept should have been Van Halen sized BIG from Purple Rain on out...NOT Broken Up AS Purple Rain is being released.

>On another note I'm glad he didn't really go off on the whole
>Jesse thing. I love Jesse to death and think he's one of the
>GOAT for a number of reasons. but man, in that band context,
>he's turned himself into a bit of a meme/Lexicon term. I call
>it "Jesse-ing" when someone like say... Al DiMeola pulls the
>things he does with RTF in recent years.

I want that dirt.

>Speaking of which, SHOUT OUT to Morris for acknowledging bands
>like RTF and Mahavishnu. You never would have known he was
>into them if not for this book

See...this is where I am now...LET ME HEAR A FUSION ALBUM FROM MORRIS & FINK & JAM & LEWIS, Eric Leeds...just straight to tape Fantasy Records style.

s.blak
Everybody Get Loose

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Sun Oct-20-19 08:15 AM

18. "great review Doc. I’m going to see if my local library has this"
In response to Reply # 14

Sooner rather than later

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019443 Previous topic | Next topic