Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019312

Subject: "Mizell Brothers hateration, making The Blackbyrds sound like the O'Jays" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 11:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mizell Brothers hateration, making The Blackbyrds sound like the O'Jays"
Thu Oct-03-19 11:52 PM by BlakStaar

So, I rediscovered the Fancy Dancer album by Bobbi Humphrey and came across this review on Amazon:

“The Mizell brothers (Larry and Fonce) have their formula down pat. Take mellow, superfly-like grooves, add cheesy arp string ensemble riffs, passive male background vocals that make the Blackbyrds sound like the O'Jays, and a lead horn or woodwind instrument. The end result is music that could easily fit into any 1970's blaxploitation flick. These brothers have applied their production formula on bestselling jazz-fusion albums by trumpeter Donald Byrd, saxophonist Gary Bartz and of course flute player Bobbi Humphrey.
FANCY DANCER is the third Bobbi Humphrey album produced by the Mizells and her last recorded during her classic Blue Note period. Her playing is pleasant, but as usual, the backing grooves take center stage. If you're a fan of mellow 70's soul-jazz, this release does not disappoint.”
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B000E6G5YU/ref=acr_search_hist_3?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=three_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Well, damn. What y’all think? Is the Mizell Brothers' production here too formulaic?

What is your favorite Mizell Brother production? How does Fancy Dancer stack up?

I don’t like Fancy Dancer as much as, say, Donald Byrd’s Spaces and Places but I would never describe this work as having “cheesy harp string ensemble riffs.” And very little about this album gives me Blaxploitation vibes, though I dig that genre.

I’m procrastinating right now. Can’t you tell?

P.S. “Mestizo Eyes” is jamming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7IHXzhrgcw

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019312 Previous topic | Next topic