Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019307

Subject: "Tetsuo & Youth vs Drogas Wave" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 09:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Tetsuo & Youth vs Drogas Wave"
Thu Oct-03-19 09:48 PM by Anonymous

I’ve been very open about my feelings for these two albums as I think they are two of the greatest pieces of art to ever come from the Hip-Hop genre.

Lupe has sadly become criminally under-appreciated as a whole.

Now that Drogas Wave has had its 1-year anniversary, how do you rate these albums against each other?

Poll result (30 votes)
T&Y (15 votes)Vote
DW (15 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I haven’t even really listened to the second one
Oct 03rd 2019
Drogas Wave, but it took me 6+ months for it to finally hit me.
Oct 04th 2019
Drogas Wave, for me...
Oct 04th 2019
T&Y is an amazing, sprawling, lyrically exhausting (in the best way) rec...
Oct 04th 2019
Drogas Wave
Oct 04th 2019
Tetsuo & Youth
Oct 04th 2019
split
Oct 04th 2019
too early to tell
Oct 04th 2019
I'm going T&Y for one reason only.
Oct 04th 2019
I agree
Oct 04th 2019
that was really tough to answer...
Oct 18th 2019
I was surprised by the lack of love T&Y got as well
Oct 19th 2019
man, this is a tough one
Oct 19th 2019
Fuck this poll! LMAO! (JK)
Oct 20th 2019
I remember at some point in 2016-2017
Dec 17th 2019
I'm split but leaning towards Drogas Wave
Dec 19th 2019
T&Y is better, the music is more enjoyable.
Dec 19th 2019
I won’t argue with that but
Dec 19th 2019
I have same preference, but your take is the opposite of correct
Dec 20th 2019
I'm so ridiculously torn. Wild timing, i was just asking myself this.
Dec 28th 2019

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18635 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 10:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I haven’t even really listened to the second one"
In response to Reply # 0

because I feel like I’m still digesting the first one. And the Pharoah Height EP.

I haven’t always known what to make of Lupe, but I’m glad we’ve got him. Amazing talent.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13191 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 06:48 AM

2. "Drogas Wave, but it took me 6+ months for it to finally hit me. "
In response to Reply # 0

Even when I started getting into it I favored the Wave section, but over the last 6 months this is my most listened to album and that final stretch of Cripppy thru Mural Jr is some of the best music of the decade. Only thing I'm not feeling about the album is too much Nikki Jean, but otherwise I love it. It's in my top 5 of the decade.

T&Y is also great, Mural is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and like DW, was a slow burn before it finally clicked.

Lupe had a hell of a decade.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 07:17 AM

3. "Drogas Wave, for me..."
In response to Reply # 0

and it’s not even close. I love T&Y, too. Still listen to it all the way through. It has some songs that I don’t exactly love, but can tolerate. DW, on the other hand, is absolutely flawless, in my eyes. It’s so well put together and has some of Lu’s most well-crafted songs...including probably my favorite Lupe song: WAV Files.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5466 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 07:58 AM

4. "T&Y is an amazing, sprawling, lyrically exhausting (in the best way) rec..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-04-19 08:06 AM by fontgangsta

i really think its Lupe's masterwork personally
I know everyone here was all about Drogas, but that shit fell flat for me for the most part.
Those fake spanish and Jamaican accents on Wave? lol. And the beats on Drogas didn't really grab me. There were definitely still some good tracks in there (Haile Selassie, Cripple, King Nas), but compared to T&Y? its not even close IMO. But i know some cats feel the exact opposite. All good.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 08:25 AM

5. "Drogas Wave"
In response to Reply # 0

I love that album. Tetsuo and Youth was too esoteric for me, but I'm glad other people liked it. I could follow the narrative/concept much better in Drogas Wave.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 08:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Tetsuo & Youth"
In response to Reply # 0

It annoys tf outta me that the concept of Drogas Wave only runs for less than half the album. Then it's just a bunch of tracks. Some of them very good tracks, but still. If you're gonna make a concept record, make a concept record.

And bruh. Do not give me 24 track fucking album.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 09:46 AM

7. "split"
In response to Reply # 0

As an album I want to put on and zone out to (in the best way): T&Y. All the best aspects of Lupe are on display on that album yet it avoids feeling overly bloated for most of the record (it's a bit long, but...).

BUT

As a (mostly) concept album, Drogas was exceptional in its structure and narrative and in many ways outruns T&Y.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 09:47 AM

8. "too early to tell"
In response to Reply # 0

T&Y is more efficient but drogas is so good too. cant vote on this yet.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 12:57 PM

9. "I'm going T&Y for one reason only."
In response to Reply # 0

I find that T&Y flows better straight thru than WAVE does.

For me, I tend to listen to records on WAVE in pieces....where as on T&Y once I got rid of the interludes and Blur My Hands (I really dislike that song) I can bump it all the way thru.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Oct-04-19 03:56 PM

10. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 9

>I find that T&Y flows better straight thru than WAVE does.
>
>For me, I tend to listen to records on WAVE in pieces....where
>as on T&Y once I got rid of the interludes and Blur My Hands
>(I really dislike that song) I can bump it all the way thru.

though I actually like the interludes. I do really hate Blur My Hands though.

And sometimes I'm not in the mood for Chopper.

That said, its an amazing album and his most consistent imo. If I had to pick his best, it would be between T&Y and The Cool. I'd probably lean The Cool, but that is probably nostalgia.

DW is definitely third though, and excellent as well.

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Fri Oct-18-19 07:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "that was really tough to answer..."
In response to Reply # 0

which was the point I guess.

I'm still baffled how Tetsuo & Youth wasn't on every album of the year list when it came out. Love Lupe and wish he got more love.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Oct-19-19 12:01 PM

13. "I was surprised by the lack of love T&Y got as well"
In response to Reply # 11

Not to make it a debate but I really felt that album deserved the praise that To Pimp A Butterfly got.

I also agree that if I go with T&Y it’s due to how concise it is. 12 songs and 4 interludes; which I don’t mind.

Wave is a long listen but I do love everything on there.

It just seems like there’s one dot I’m not connecting to push it over the top.

With that said, I don’t think there’s any question it’s the best double album in hip-hop and I know that those debates are ultimately pointless but it sucks that Lupe isn’t in conversations like that.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sat Oct-19-19 10:38 AM

12. "man, this is a tough one"
In response to Reply # 0

I go with T&Y because I think the album as a whole flows better from beginning to end.
I agree with you tho: both of these joints are among the best pieces of work ever produced in the genre

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Oct-20-19 12:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Fuck this poll! LMAO! (JK)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Oct-20-19 12:37 AM by Orbit_Established

T&Y gets my vote, but it was important due to deeply
personal reasons, which isn't a fair reason, but it
is a reason

That said:

Drogas Wave does continue to grow

I saw the video for Cripple was was like:

"Yep, that's one of the best songs ever made"

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Tue Dec-17-19 07:07 PM

15. "I remember at some point in 2016-2017"
In response to Reply # 0

... before DROGAS Light dropped, Lupe was speaking on why he decided to do two different versions of DROGAS, and he said something along the lines of wanting to separate "champagne Lupe" (Light) and "moonshine Lupe" (Wave), and it was evident in each of the finished products that he was successful in doing that

However, I personally believe Lupe is at his best when the two are successfully fused together. And I believe that T&Y was his best and last piece of work with the two Lupes merged. The lyrics beat you over the head, but the beats made them go down easier

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Thu Dec-19-19 12:26 PM

16. "I'm split but leaning towards Drogas Wave"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-19-19 12:30 PM by Playa_Politician

but man it's hard. on the strenght of both these albums I've gone back and gotten into Drogas Light, though nowhere near as good as these two it's a solid entry in his catalog IMO.

Both these albums stayed in constant rotation for me, but I feel like i've heard Drogas Wave more than T&Y and i go back to it more, at least recently. on my Spotify year end wrap up it was my #1 album.

--sig--
n/a

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Thu Dec-19-19 03:18 PM

17. "T&Y is better, the music is more enjoyable."
In response to Reply # 0

I dig the content and song writing more on T&Y.

I don’t want to need an encyclopedia and / or google to listen to an entire album.
I’m all for learning through hip hop, so more power to Lupe and guys like him
that stretch hip hops boundaries, adding more interesting content and concepts through imaginative lyricism.
But DW is an extremely dense body of work, a bit too complex for me to actually want to listen to it a lot. It’s not something I found myself wanting to just play in the truck, or cleaning around the house. It’s def a headphones album, but not for its mix.
I can liken it to a thesis for a masters.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Dec-19-19 08:03 PM

18. "I won’t argue with that but"
In response to Reply # 17

I will say that Lupe does a great job in my opinion of making his dense art easily accessible. I feel as though I can throw on his albums and simply enjoy the vibe, musically and lyrically, without actually focusing on the content or lyrics.

That due to him still writing these dense lyrics to the beat and maintaining a flow and rhymes scheme that works musically as opposed to solely lyrically.

Most lyrical MCs fail at that and you can tell they don’t write to the music.

That’s an extremely hard thing to accomplish and it makes me appreciate Lupe and his music even more.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 10:41 PM

19. "I have same preference, but your take is the opposite of correct"
In response to Reply # 17

For one, both are incredible records. Not great. Incredible.

But T&Y is definitely a more complicated listen than
DW.

DW is much easier listening.

Not even close.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Dec-28-19 10:26 AM

20. "I'm so ridiculously torn. Wild timing, i was just asking myself this."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019307 Previous topic | Next topic