Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3019099

Subject: ""Black Music Soundtrack 3" (Marcus Miller etc...) anyone go???"" Previous topic | Next topic
Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 06:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Black Music Soundtrack 3" (Marcus Miller etc...) anyone go???""
Thu Sep-26-19 06:47 AM by Voodoochilde

I'm on the other side of the country so unfortunately I obviously couldn't attend...it sure would be great if anyone who DID go could breakdown how the show was, so that I could experience it vicariously....not the same as being there, but hey, I'll take what I can get......

I mean look at this lineup! dayum!!

Artists:

Marcus Miller, musical director
Craig Robinson, host
Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
Vince Mendoza, conductor
El DeBarge
Dionne Farris
Chaka Khan
Meshell Ndegéocello
Raphael Saadiq
Charlie Wilson
BeBe Winans

thats a great group from top to bottom, hands down, no doubt, period end of story. but dayum, ya'll know how I feel about Meshell & Chaka...those two are in my CONSTANT iPod rotation....and I would LOVE to see those two mix it up with Dionne & Marcus and the rest on stage...

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/620/2019-09-25/black-movie-soundtrack-iii

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was able to go and it was a great time
Sep 26th 2019
thanks! dang that sounds like a good time indeed!
Sep 26th 2019
I had a work conference maybe two hours away...I should have come :(
Sep 26th 2019
      It was a good time.
Sep 27th 2019

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 05:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was able to go and it was a great time"
In response to Reply # 0

Basically the format was that Craig Robinson would come on and crack a joke or two and then introduce the next song. Sometimes he would give some background about the song. Reginald Hudlin (who also helped produce this concert) sometimes came out to introduce songs or give context for the movie the songs were paying tribute to.

Then on the jumbotrons, clips from various movies which the song was paying homage to would play. And the tribute song would be played.

The event offered tributes to an Old Hollywood, jazz dance sequence which was amazing (the orchestra replayed the music as the clip played). They also touched on the blaxploitation era, John Singleton, Prince (which Charlie Wilson and Chaka Khan ripped.), a Love Jones moment where Me'shell and Dionne Ferris sung (Dionne Farris had some futuristic costume with LED lights embedded in wings. It was wild.), Black women in movies, Black Panther and Into the Spiderverse, and a tribute to the new Netflix doc 'Black Godfather' during which BeBe Winans came up and sung Bill Withers' Lean on Me.

In the big surprise, Snoop came out and did a medley of Deep Cover. The crowd went crazy. I have to say it was a trip to be in Hollywood of all places with the crowd chanting at once, '187 on a muthaf*ckin cop.' Can't say that would have happened at the Hollywood Bowl when that song dropped in '91.

The performances were amazing all across the board. Charile Wilson and Chaka Khan were the crowd favorites. (btw, I don't think Chaka Khan has aged since the 80's. Looked great.)

It was an amazing show.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 07:09 PM

2. "thanks! dang that sounds like a good time indeed!"
In response to Reply # 1

thanks for sharing!

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 07:36 PM

3. "I had a work conference maybe two hours away...I should have come :("
In response to Reply # 1

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Sep-27-19 12:02 AM

4. "It was a good time."
In response to Reply # 3

The crowd was great and across the board, from the vocalists to the band to the orchestra, the performances were top-notch.

Although between the large crowd and the small space allotted for each seat on the Bowl's benches, it's probably for the best that you weren't there. I needed the extra space. Ha!

Lobby The Lesson topic #3019099 Previous topic | Next topic