Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3018749

Subject: "N.E.R.D re-releasing debut (both versions) - OKP swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Sep-13-19 06:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"N.E.R.D re-releasing debut (both versions) - OKP swipe"

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/n-e-r-d-in-search-of-album-reissue-pharrell.html

N.E.R.D Announces Reissue Of Debut Album 'In Search Of' With Rock & Electronic Versions

POSTED BY ELIJAH C. WATSON

The first version of the album, better known as the “electronic version,” was originally released in 2001 in Europe.

N.E.R.D, the funk rock band led by Pharrell, is prepping for a reissue of its debut album In Search Of.

READ: N.E.R.D Debut New Album Featuring Andre 3000, Kendrick Lamar And More

The deluxe release will feature both the 2001 “electronic” and 2002 “rock” versions of the album, along with seven bonus tracks that include remixes of songs from the album done by Trent Reznor, Zero 7 and others.

The reissue will be released via Virgin/Urban Legends/UMe on October 25.

The first version of the album, better known as the “electronic version,” was originally released in 2001 in Europe. It featured an “Intro” track, as well as skits that appeared in the following songs: “Things Are Getting Better,” “Stay Together,” and “Tape You.”

In 2002, the group re-released the album but with live instrumentation, enlisting the funk-rock band Spymob to create a more rock-oriented sound for the album. This is why the second version is often referred to as the “rock” version.

N.E.R.D released its last album, No_One Ever Really Dies, back in 2017. The album featured appearances from André 3000, Rihanna, Gucci Mane, Wale, Ed Sheeran, Future, and Kendrick Lamar.

Pharrell had previously spoken about how the polticial and racial climate of the United States inspired some of the album’s music, most notably the song “Don’t Don’t Do It,” which was inspired by the shooting of Keith Scott in North Carolina in 2016.

“This was something I saw on the news. We have that crazy, crazy man (running the country) but also they have police that shoot unarmed black people the whole time. It rains and they shoot black people,” Pharrell said. “I hid the story in something that’s so jubilant because that way you won’t miss the message.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
bout. fuckin. time.
Sep 14th 2019
I'll buy it
Sep 15th 2019
An electronic version of Fly Or Die would be good too
Sep 15th 2019
but my treasured 'advance' copy won't be as cool now... lol
Sep 15th 2019
^^^^
Sep 15th 2019
I like how this needed an OKP swipe, as if you wouldn't know n/m
Sep 16th 2019
Need? This was strictly about preference: I "preferred" to start a post
Sep 16th 2019
I’ve always been in the (seemingly) minority who prefers Spymob versio...
Sep 16th 2019
Spymob mostly better
Sep 16th 2019
What?!?!?
Sep 16th 2019
dope
Sep 16th 2019
BTW who is a MASSIVE neptunes fan?
Sep 17th 2019

jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Sat Sep-14-19 07:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "bout. fuckin. time."
In response to Reply # 0

I need that electronic first version. The live version always sounded off to me.

yupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyup

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Sun Sep-15-19 02:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I'll buy it"
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Sun Sep-15-19 07:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "An electronic version of Fly Or Die would be good too"
In response to Reply # 0

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2562 posts
Sun Sep-15-19 09:57 AM

4. "but my treasured 'advance' copy won't be as cool now... lol"
In response to Reply # 0

for real, this is great news. So much of the electronic version is superior to the spymob version...

now let's get the band version of Pharrel's In My Mind officially released, too...

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Sun Sep-15-19 11:09 PM

5. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 4

>now let's get the band version of Pharrel's In My Mind
>officially released, too...

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Sep-16-19 01:22 AM

6. "I like how this needed an OKP swipe, as if you wouldn't know n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Mon Sep-16-19 03:28 PM

9. "Need? This was strictly about preference: I "preferred" to start a post"
In response to Reply # 6

about this subject.

Need the "swipe" in particular? I "prefer" to reference a swipe (as opposed to just saying "hey, let's discuss the 'In search of' reissue")

So, dude, this is preference based - not "need" based.

And....people wanted to reply...so you came in.....to.....do your...thing....yep

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Mon Sep-16-19 01:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I’ve always been in the (seemingly) minority who prefers Spymob versio..."
In response to Reply # 0

But as a completist and archivist, I’m glad this is getting reissued

www.twitter.com/seandammit

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Sep-16-19 08:14 AM

8. "Spymob mostly better"
In response to Reply # 7

Few tracks on electronic version are better though.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Mon Sep-16-19 07:02 PM

11. "What?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 7

I always liked the Spymob version better......it's just fuller and it changed the impact of more than a few songs. Bobby James for sure.

I feel the same way about Pharrell's first solo album In My Mind.

The reworked version of that "Out of My Mind" is a much fuller project. Maybe I just prefer instrumentation. Who knows.

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Mon Sep-16-19 04:48 PM

10. "dope"
In response to Reply # 0

i got both versions on cd already but I may cop the vinyl

i wish they would have put Locked Away as a bonus on there

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Tue Sep-17-19 12:26 PM

12. "BTW who is a MASSIVE neptunes fan?"
In response to Reply # 0

i have a number of really nice 11x14 prints of Chad & P from my time at SCRATCH mag
theyre just sitting in a box - id love for them to go to someone who will actually put them up on the wall
HMU if you're that guy (or gal)
fontgangsta (at) gmail

Lobby The Lesson topic #3018749 Previous topic | Next topic