Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3018145

Subject: "Ground Water <<< Gods in the Spirit, Titans in the Flesh" Previous topic | Next topic
Zarathuckya
Charter member
2360 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 12:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ground Water <<< Gods in the Spirit, Titans in the Flesh"

People I'm just trying to put some light on this 14 track album, a collaboration between Nottz and Blu released in 2018, which the hip hop world for the most part seems to have overlooked for whatever reasons.

No issues with the mixing this time (of course, because it's Nottz)

No issues with wack lyrics, because it's Blu - 60% braggy 40% thoughtful, a few features, all of whom do their thing

Scratching all over the show

Crazy bass lines

reminiscent of 1994 east coast hip hop with a touch of Dilla

14 bangers out of 14

I had tuned out from what Blu had been doing until last week as well

If the Lesson hasn't heard this you're gonna love it

I give it 4.25 mics

It creates its own little world

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGznrT2cAY

Peace

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I disagree
Aug 24th 2019
Blu says its his strongest lyrical follow up since BTH
Aug 27th 2019
"Heads don't even know what Hard To Earn is"
Aug 27th 2019
They’re both great for different reasons
Aug 27th 2019

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 0

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Zarathuckya
Charter member
2360 posts
Tue Aug-27-19 02:28 AM

2. "Blu says its his strongest lyrical follow up since BTH"
In response to Reply # 0

"Blu & Nottz’s epic two-part saga officially reaches its final form with 'Gods In The Spirit, Titans In The Flesh,' which combines the previously released EPs into a single project that upgrades everything about the original.

There is a care and attention to detail to this project that goes well beyond a standard reissue that clumps the previous projects together. GITS, TITF is a complete upgrade from the ground up with stunning new artwork by Dan Lish, remixed and remastered audio (handled by Carl Roe and D-Sane, respectively), and a reimagined tracklist featuring an ethereal new closing track (“Yesterday” feat. Sene & Elisa Meri).

All of these fine touches really make the project a treasure for diehard fans, newcomers, and collectors alike. Blu personally wanted to restructure the tracklist because he believes it flows better than before, a sentiment that hits immediately when “Atlantis” kicks things off. And then there’s the one-two punch of hearing “End Of The World” (feat. Rashad) and “Heaven on Earth” back to back, which reveals the true nuances of these songs.

“Being some of my greatest material to date and the strongest lyrical follow-up I’ve constructed since ‘Below The Heavens,’” Blu says, “I feel more than honored to have both EPs officially commemorated as an LP to stand out amongst a band of classic full lengths produced by Nottz, like Asher Roth, Kardinal Offishall, Rapper Big Pooh and so on.”

For Nottz, it’s all about showcasing the hypothetical Hip-Hop beast dwelling beneath the surface of the previously released EPs. “Gods in the Spirit was the beginning—an eye opener to the madness that me and Blu were about to unleash,” he says, “While Titans in the Flesh unleashed the wrath.”

“With both EPs now combined, it’s a wrap—the kraken has officially been released with reckless abandon,” Nottz adds.

'Gods In The Spirit, Titans In The Flesh' is due out April 13th, and will be available on digital, vinyl, CD and cassette via Coalmine Records.
credits
released April 13, 2018

• All tracks produced by Nottz for Raw Koncept Music
• All songs mixed by Carl Roe: www.instagram.com/carlroe
• All songs mastered by D-Sane for Digital Age Sound
• Executive Produced by Matt Diamond
• Cover illustrated by Dan Lish: www.instagram.com/danlish1
• Album Packaging by Frank “DJ Concept DeMaria"

source: some kind of press release from https://coalminerecords.bandcamp.com/album/gods-in-the-spirit-titans-in-the-flesh

Zarathuckya
Charter member
2360 posts
Tue Aug-27-19 02:57 AM

3. ""Heads don't even know what Hard To Earn is""
In response to Reply # 2

A quote from the lead single: Heaven on Earth. Crazy lyrical performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUQ5A19AOds

This vid shows he's a hip hop student himself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GGkBo6_g30

But I digress. My main point here is there's a high quality piece of hip hop right here which has been overlooked in the sea of information these days

As Sean P would say, LISTEN!

OK I'm off my soap box

Peace

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Aug-27-19 06:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "They’re both great for different reasons"
In response to Reply # 0

Gotta bump the Damu in my car to make the final decision, but Nottz has the win so far.

I like Blu lyrically more on the Nottz joint, but I try not to make lyrical comparisons until I can really sit with a record, so the jury is still out on that too.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3018145 Previous topic | Next topic