Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3017875

Subject: "The Roots Are Reissuing TFA, IH, and DYWM (OKP swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Aug-17-19 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots Are Reissuing TFA, IH, and DYWM (OKP swipe)"

I don't do vinyl. But I'd love to read the booklet and hear the bonus tracks. I'm surprised the band were able to do this.

I thought 15 said that because of the UMG fire back in '08(?) that remasters were impossible of the Geffen/MCA albums. I guess the band had another master??

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/buy-the-roots-things-fall-apart-reissue-1999.html

POSTED BY DIMAS SANFIORENZO 2 MINS AGO

The Roots are re-releasing three of their most pivotal albums on vinyl: their 1994 debut Do You Want More?!!!??!; their classic followup, 1996’s Illadelph Halflife; and their breakout Things Fall Apart, which is celebrating its 20-year anniversary this year.

The albums will be reissued over the span of a couple of years. But the first reissue is coming soon: on September 27 Geffen/UMe/Urban Legends will reissue Things Fall Apart on Vinyl.

There are two versions: the collectors’ edition and the standard. The reissue will feature the original album remastered; bonus tracks curated by Questlove; and a massive 24-page booklet featuring liner notes and an essay from Black Thought.

In a statement Questlove said:

We’re looking forward to going back to the vault to revisit our original recordings from the studio and we’re excited to celebrate these albums by really delivering something special for our fans.

The Do You Want More?!!!??! reissue is coming out next year, in 2020. While Illadelph Halflife will be reissued in 2021, for the album’s 25th anniversary.

You can preorder The Things Fall Apart reissue right now on the Okayshop.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
TFA comes out on my 39th birthday
Aug 17th 2019
I hope they do some clean versions, I got kids
Aug 17th 2019
Wait....Mariah and Toni cuss? Like real cuss words?
Aug 17th 2019
Ever Since Pretty Ricky, R&B Artists Been Upping Their Cursing Count
Aug 19th 2019
      Mariah and Toni too old and established for that nonsense though
Aug 19th 2019
           They trying to be hard, LOL
Aug 23rd 2019
The Original Pressings Do Have Clean Versions...
Aug 19th 2019
I don't remember any of these albums not being kid friendly
Aug 19th 2019
that’s cool, but I got all those......when’s the next new album comi...
Aug 19th 2019
Wish they added instrumentals.
Aug 19th 2019
Did I see a picture w/ colored vinyl?
Aug 20th 2019

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sat Aug-17-19 07:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "TFA comes out on my 39th birthday"
In response to Reply # 0

dope.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Aug-17-19 10:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I hope they do some clean versions, I got kids"
In response to Reply # 0

it's bad enough singers like Mariah and Toni Braxton cussing now, I'd love to put the little ones onto The Roots

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Sat Aug-17-19 11:36 PM

3. "Wait....Mariah and Toni cuss? Like real cuss words?"
In response to Reply # 2

SMH.

R&B singers cursing all sound like that Eamon song to me. Funny and ridiculous as shit.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 06:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Ever Since Pretty Ricky, R&B Artists Been Upping Their Cursing Count"
In response to Reply # 3

Pretty Ricky was probably the first r&b cd I noticed had almost ever song (and almost every verse) had cursing on it; I was shocked, most of the time the cursing was done by guest rappers but now that most r&b now is like T-Pain clones & singers who want to rap, the profanity count has went up considerably where it's normal for them to say "bitch", "fuck", "shit", or even "dick" and "pussy" in a song, then sometimes re-record a clean version for radio & videos.

Wally-world was great for cd customers who didn't want all the cursing & profanity in their music, I don't think Mariah ever did hardly any cursing since she's more of a pop artist but urban r&b artists do quite a bit of it now.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

DJR
18627 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 06:18 PM

7. "Mariah and Toni too old and established for that nonsense though "
In response to Reply # 6

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Fri Aug-23-19 06:47 AM

11. "They trying to be hard, LOL"
In response to Reply # 7

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 06:02 PM

4. "The Original Pressings Do Have Clean Versions..."
In response to Reply # 2

...but I doubt the upcoming reissues will have edited/clean versions since the only reason why cleans versions were made was for radio djs and for wally-world; since now radio djs need 'em and wally-world has downsized their new release cds down to maybe less than five titles a week & best of's, what's the point of doing a commercial clean release of a cd now?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 06:03 PM

5. "I don't remember any of these albums not being kid friendly"
In response to Reply # 2

an occasional curse word maybe, but nothing really bad

DJR
18627 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 06:20 PM

8. "that’s cool, but I got all those......when’s the next new album comi..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-19-19 06:21 PM by DJR

Sorry, somebody had to do it.

That said, they had me at 24 page liner notes as far as reissues go. I’ll never get tired of reading ?uest write about music. And bonus tracks too? Sold.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Mon Aug-19-19 06:24 PM

9. "Wish they added instrumentals."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-19-19 06:24 PM by phemom

Eiher way I might buy one of them tho, probably DYWM because I love the cover so much.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 02:14 PM

10. "Did I see a picture w/ colored vinyl?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or clear? I thought I saw a picture of it on twitter.

Granted, I kinda hate colored vinyl but for some reason I thought it was kinda cool looking. Now I can't find a link to that set. They're all black.

https://digife.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3017875 Previous topic | Next topic