Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3016913

Subject: "New Donwill album - One Word No Space + Bandcamp interview swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Donwill album - One Word No Space + Bandcamp interview swipe"

Dropping on July 19

The vinyl presale is damn near sold out so act fast for that LP-exclusive bonus track. There are only 100 copies: https://donwill.bandcamp.com/album/one-word-no-space

"On His Latest LP, Donwill Takes Stock of His Career"
It's a balmy spring afternoon in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, and Donwill is taking a break between his second and third loads of laundry to chat about his new album, One Word No Space. The 12-track project brims with the sort of concept-focussed songs that characterize the rapper’s previous releases, including 2011’s Don Cusack in High Fidelity, based on the John Cusack movie name-checked in the title, and the run of albums he recorded as part of Tanya Morgan, a group whose music radiates the clear influence of Native Tongues. But this time around, the 42-year-old’s gotten more vulnerable in his songwriting, penning verses that document his journey to figure out his identity and his place in the world over soulful but sturdy production delivered by his bandmate Von Pea.

“I talk to myself a lot, and I decided to do it on a record for once,” he says. “The whole album is about when you doubt the path you’ve paved for yourself—even if that path is a beautifully smooth highway, you’re wondering if a rougher road makes for a stronger character, or if there was there a better path a few exits back.

READ MORE here: https://daily.bandcamp.com/2019/06/13/donwill-one-word-no-space-interview/

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #3016913 Previous topic | Next topic