Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3016894

Subject: "ronson, quest, pino in the studio..." Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"ronson, quest, pino in the studio..."

From a NYTimes article about Mark Ronson's forthcoming album - all tracks featuring female vocalists from a wide range of genres, sounds interesting tbh and has Angel Olsen on the features list, no less - this blurb regarding Ronson's production of Yebba's forthcoming debut:

"He’s also working on Yebba’s forthcoming solo debut, and on a recent spring night, Ronson gathered a top-tier band — including Questlove of the Roots, the bassist Pino Palladino and other session players from D’Angelo’s storied “Voodoo” era — at Electric Lady Studios, the collective’s old stomping ground, to work on her songs. As everyone got comfortable, the musicians played one another unreleased tracks and traded stories about past sessions with J Dilla and Q-Tip."

Link to full article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/arts/mark-ronson-late-night-feelings.html

I like a number of full-length albums that Ronson has held the reins on -- esp. Back to Black and Rufus Wainwright's underrated "Out of the Game" -- and it's not the first time he's run in the same circles as the soulquarians crew (Ronson was a co-producer on Nikka Costa's "Everybody got their something" album, for one). His career is way more varied than he gets credit for - so I'm curious, at least.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Did we really not discuss "LATE NIGHT FEELINGS"?
Sep 26th 2019
Oh shit I'll be checking this out tomorrow.
Sep 26th 2019
it's pretty solid
Sep 30th 2019

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 04:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Did we really not discuss "LATE NIGHT FEELINGS"?"
In response to Reply # 0

I just stumbled upon it's release because I was wondering what Ronson is up to. Only half way through and it's the business. Check it out.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Sep-26-19 08:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Oh shit I'll be checking this out tomorrow."
In response to Reply # 1

I really liked "Uptown Funk" but got burnt out on it eventually.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Sep-30-19 09:04 AM

3. "it's pretty solid"
In response to Reply # 1

I gave it several listens when it dropped but didn't go back because it wasn't quite in the right mood vein for where I was at the time. I have a feeling I'll return to it some more soon, though.

It is way more cohesive than I expected with all the different vocalists at work - it feels more like an album than a mixtape or playlist, which is what I expected.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Lobby The Lesson topic #3016894 Previous topic | Next topic