Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3016286

Subject: "IGOR - Tyler, The Creator (2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Fri May-17-19 03:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"IGOR - Tyler, The Creator (2019)"

IGOR
all songs written, produced and arranged by tyler okonma

1 Igor's Theme Featuring – Lil Uzi Vert
2 Earfquake Featuring – Charlie Wilson, Devonte Hynes, Playboi Carti
3 I Think
4 Exactly What You Run From You End Up Chasing
5 Running Out Of Time Featuring – Frank Ocean
6 New Magic Wand Featuring – ASAP Rocky, Santigold
7 A Boy Is A Gun
8 Puppet Featuring – Kanye West
9 What's Good
10 Gone, Gone / Thank You Featuring – King Krule, Mild High Club
11 I Don't Love You Anymore Featuring – Ryan Beatty
12 Are We Still Friends? Featuring – Pharrell Williams

https://digife.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
its dope
May 17th 2019
awaiting Dr. Claw's thoughts.
May 17th 2019
Can't wait to play this in the ride
May 18th 2019
Also, BOOOOOOO @ Amazon not having the features listed
May 18th 2019
I lack the words to express my venomous hatred for this.
May 18th 2019
*stands in this line*
May 21st 2019
Is he still a rapper?
Jun 02nd 2019
Yes he is a rapper. Wanna know how I know?
Jun 03rd 2019
      LOL just don't listen to it my man !
Jun 03rd 2019
      You're right.
Jun 04th 2019
      Did 3K start this?
Jun 04th 2019
           A lot of that 3K shit was MEDIOCRE AF
Jun 05th 2019
but he's also been a producer his entire career
Jun 03rd 2019
      so let somebody else rap on it.
Jun 03rd 2019
           i see your point, but i still enjoy this project
Jun 03rd 2019
Really digging this.
May 18th 2019
I totally agree...
May 18th 2019
this is a lot like that new solange album
May 19th 2019
1st listen, solid.
May 21st 2019
#1 on Billboard 200
May 29th 2019
this post makes me want to check it out
May 31st 2019
absolutely flawless review...
Jun 04th 2019
full album credits (for those who care):
May 31st 2019
so that's where Lil Uzi Vert appears.
Jun 05th 2019
Tyler almost got my roommate sexually assaulted. Fuck him for life
May 31st 2019
So only 3.5 mics?
Jun 05th 2019
      this was one of those moments where laughing is inappropriate
Jun 05th 2019
      good to know you're also a piece of shit
Jun 06th 2019
      good job laughing at an assault of a women
Jun 06th 2019
      RE: So only 3.5 mics?
Jun 07th 2019
I'm still mad
Jun 10th 2019
damn, booing 2019 Oak27 hard right now
Jan 21st 2022
Angry face!
Jan 21st 2022

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri May-17-19 04:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "its dope"
In response to Reply # 0

i need to give it more listens. this album should get him the #1 spot of current popular rappers. not much rapping on it though lol

it kind of reminded me of de la's anonymous that it was about making some dope music and having rap when it called for it.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Fri May-17-19 04:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "awaiting Dr. Claw's thoughts."
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't listened yet.
But from the clips I've heard on Instagram,
sounds like another ode to N.E.R.D. (maybe?).

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Sat May-18-19 07:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Can't wait to play this in the ride"
In response to Reply # 0

Listened it to twice last night and dug it heavily

The first few tracks sound like N.E.R.D. shit, and the beginning of Puppet is pure Andre 3000.

Good to see Charlie Wilson has been getting recognized and being used on so many projects lately

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Sat May-18-19 07:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Also, BOOOOOOO @ Amazon not having the features listed"
In response to Reply # 3

I caught Charlie and Kanye West the first time I listened, didn't know who a lot of those people were

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Sat May-18-19 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I lack the words to express my venomous hatred for this."
In response to Reply # 0

To put it lightly I am not a fan of rappers who do not rap. Nothing against anyone that is into this sort of behavior from rappers.

I am disgusted.

END.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Tue May-21-19 11:09 AM

10. "*stands in this line*"
In response to Reply # 5

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 09:14 PM

15. "Is he still a rapper?"
In response to Reply # 5

Or maybe that's a box we're trying to keep him in, idk

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:09 AM

16. "Yes he is a rapper. Wanna know how I know?"
In response to Reply # 15

Cuz only rappers do that self hating BS about "growing" and "expanding" and exploring new blah blah blah garbage. If he was any other artist doing any other type of music he could do that for the next 50 years and get respect. Rappers however somehow feel like they are too good to just rap and need to expand into terrible R and B for some sort of validation.

It sickens me. The lack of respect for rap as an artform permeates hiphop culture almost more than any other place. I have no respect for artist who do this. None.

We live in a world where a hip hop artist can do a bad Nine inch Nails impression and get respect and accolades for his "artistry" and "genius" instead of being derided and shunned as they should.

Rapper who do this should rethink their lack of respect for themselves and their art.

www.anwarmorse.com

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 08:50 PM

20. "LOL just don't listen to it my man !"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon Jun-03-19 08:50 PM by Brew

Whew - that was venomous ! He's not even that good of a rapper my dude. Just move on to something w/rapping. It's not that serious.

Haha I mean I get we all take our music pretty seriously but this was next level. And for Tyler ?! He's not even that good !

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 04:08 PM

23. "You're right. "
In response to Reply # 20

www.anwarmorse.com

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 04:39 AM

21. "Did 3K start this?"
In response to Reply # 16

Love Below seems to be the first time I remember a (Dope) rapper putting out a project with mostly singing, and after that he seemed to be bored with rap, only dropping a verse or 2 a year now.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 05:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "A lot of that 3K shit was MEDIOCRE AF"
In response to Reply # 21

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 01:55 PM

17. "but he's also been a producer his entire career"
In response to Reply # 5

so why can't he flex that side? he produced literally everything on this album and Flower Boy.

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 03:01 PM

18. "so let somebody else rap on it."
In response to Reply # 17

The lack of rap is my problem with this. Also, the idea that his (pretty good) rapping is in any way comparable to his(absolutely terrible) singing.

It's like, would anyone champion the genre bending forwardness of a Billie Eilish album filled with horrible raps?

The response to this type of crap says more about how people feel about rap than anything else.

www.anwarmorse.com

wrecknoble
2276 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 03:45 PM

19. "i see your point, but i still enjoy this project"
In response to Reply # 18

there's a vibe about it that i'm feeling

i don't think i'd go see him perform this live though (his tour tickets go on sale on Friday), but i rushed to see him for the Flower Boy tour because he killed that album

---

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sat May-18-19 09:41 PM

6. "Really digging this. "
In response to Reply # 0

it's a left turn for him in terms of not being an album focused on rapping, yet it makes a lot of sense as a next step for him in light of stuff like "See You Again" and "Glitter" on Flower Boy. He is obviously not the greatest singer, but I think his limitations give the album a quirky feeling that meshes really well with the production (the beats here are fantastic). the vocal layering/arrangements/background vocals here are beautiful. I like the entire album, but really loving "Earfquake", and "New Magic Wand" right now.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

ob1 kenobi
Member since Sep 11th 2003
4306 posts
Sat May-18-19 10:56 PM

7. "I totally agree..."
In response to Reply # 6

... not the best vocalist - but the arrangements are really good, and that gives his mediocre vocals a natural feeling. This was the album I was expecting after watching the tiny desk concert... surprised how much I dug it after a couple of listens

"...You didn't do the knowledge what the God was manifestin'..."

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun May-19-19 08:32 AM

8. "this is a lot like that new solange album"
In response to Reply # 0

just with terrible vocals

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Tue May-21-19 10:05 AM

9. "1st listen, solid."
In response to Reply # 0

Igor's Theme
Earfquake
I Think (the beat change...woo)
What's Good

are the standouts.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed May-29-19 11:57 AM

11. "#1 on Billboard 200"
In response to Reply # 0

beat out Khaled and his cavalcade of stars by about 300K streams off "Earfquake".

so, really, you don't need to take it from me, right?

well... here it is.

I stayed up late to hear this album upon release, through computer speakers and about 5 songs in I was like "WTF, is Tyler gonna actually go through an album not rapping?" later that morning while in the Volvo and during the day I listened it to a few times more and I was just floored.

to be fair, my favorite Tyler album is still probably WOLF but I saw something like this album coming when "Fucking Young" was the first single off CHERRY BOMB, an album many disliked but I personally loved. So much I bought it again just to get the instrumentals.

and to also be fair, I was once a person who called Odd Future "OMGWTFKTA" at the peak of their hype, largely because a dillweed on here was endlessly shitposting about them. If you told me a Pharrell disciple who rapped about the kind of stuff he did back in the BASTARD and GOBLIN days would be one of my favorite artists of all time back in 2011-12 I would have laughed in your face. But here we are.

Tyler has, since that point, found a way to reinvent himself but retain some core aesthetic ever since that point. each album, even if you find a connecting thread, has its own "universe". This was something the greats would do. In fact, I think he's surpassed his idol (Pharrell) in that regard. One thing that still boggles my mind about him is how he gets the guests he does. When Pharrell first appeared on a Tyler song I wondered if Tyler was finally getting "noticed by senpai". But he's appeared multiple times. He's had Charlie Wilson, Roy Ayers, Erykah Badu, Alice Smith, Leon freakin' Ware, and countless others like my dogg Toro y Moi on his albums. Many of whom I never thought would appear on an album by this guy. But here we are.

So with IGOR... we come out of the revealing, somewhat depressive undertones of FLOWER BOY into tales of heartbreak cascading over most of the length of this album. As he tends to do, Tyler wears his influences on his sleeves: you're brought to think of Pharrell with "EARFQUAKE" (featuring a returning Charlie Wilson). Classic Kanye (before the red hats, erratic Tweets, and bleach on the T-Shirt) on "A BOY IS A GUN"... while the ACTUAL Kanye shows up in the background of the rather messy "Puppet". You even get the latest iteration of the classic "Tyler hype track" in "What's Good" (think: the "Domo23", "Who Dat Boy", "Yonkers" type song), a reminder that while it isn't the focus, Tyler still raps. The closer, "Can We Be Friends?" calls to mind... late '70s PRINCE trying to do other late '70s R&B. Speaking of Prince, Tyler's also doing the "speed up the voice" thing on several tracks that would make one think of that "Camille" era of Prince, but on Tyler it kind of makes him sound like a lil kid.

Owing something to hanging out with Solange (on whose last album he makes a production cameo), he weaves Jerrod Carmichael offering testimonial comments in a way that reminded me of Master P getting airtime on A SEAT AT THE TABLE. Besides "Earfquake", "Running Out Of Time", "A Boy Is A Gun", my favorite song is "Gone, Gone / Thank You", featuring King Krule. In particular, the middle part with the ill chord progression and Tyler actually rapping one of the more sober moments of the album.

This might also be the shortest Tyler album ever. Does it even hit 40 minutes before you're back at the top again? In any case, we've got a certified winner in IGOR, and I can't wait to see what he does next.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4873 posts
Fri May-31-19 03:26 PM

13. "this post makes me want to check it out"
In response to Reply # 11

Appreciate your thoughts...

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 12:17 PM

22. "absolutely flawless review..."
In response to Reply # 11

..you might wanna make a career of this, Doc.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

wrecknoble
2276 posts
Fri May-31-19 02:40 PM

12. "full album credits (for those who care):"
In response to Reply # 0

01 IGOR’S THEME

Producer: Tyler, The Creator
Composer: Symere Woods (aka Lil Uzi Vert) & Tyler Okonma
Lyricist: Symere Woods & Tyler Okonma
Assistant Engineer: Ben Fletcher, John Armstrong, MeMiceElfani, Rob Bisel & Zachary Acosta
Associated Performer: Tyler, The Creator & Lil Uzi Vert
Background Vocals: Anthony Evans, Amanda Brown & Tiffany Stevenson
Mastering Engineer: Mike Bozzi
Mixing Engineer: NealHPogue
Recording Engineer: Tyler Okonma & Vic Wainstein

02 EARFQUAKE

Composer: Jordan Carter (aka Playboi Carti) & Tyler Okonma
Lyricist: Jordan Carter & Tyler Okonma
Assistant Engineer: Ashley Jacobson & Thomas Cullison
Associated Performer: Tyler, The Creator & Playboi Carti
Background Vocals: Charlie Wilson & Jessy Wilson

03 I THINK

Composer: Bibi Mascel, Tyler Okonma & Bodiono Nkono Télesphore
Lyricist: Bibi Mascel & Tyler Okonma
Assistant Engineer: MeMiceElfani, Rob Bisel & Zachary Acosta
Associated Performer: Tyler, The Creator
Background Vocals: Ryan Beatty, Anthony Evans, Amanda Brown & Tiffany Stevenson
Additional Vocals: Solange

04 EXACTLY WHAT YOU RUN FROM YOU END UP CHASING

Composer: Tyler Okonma
Lyricist: Tyler Okonma
Assistant Engineer: MeMiceElfani, Zachary Acosta
Additional Vocals: Santigold & Jerrod Carmichael

05 RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Assistant Engineer: Josh Sellers, MeMiceElfani & Zachary Acosta
Background Vocals: Jessy Wilson

06 NEW MAGIC WAND

Background Vocals: Santigold & Jessy Wilson
Additional Vocals: Jerrod Carmichael

07 A BOY IS A GUN

Composer: Tyler Okonma, Bobby Dukes, Bobby Massey & Lester Allen Mckenzie
Lyricist: Tyler Okonma, Bobby Dukes, Bobby Massey & Lester Allen Mckenzie
Background Vocals: Solange

08 PUPPET

Composer: Tyler Okonma, David Smith, Mick Ware & Kanye West
Lyricist: Tyler Okonma, David Smith & Kanye West
Assistant Engineer: MeMiceElfani & Zachary Acosta
Associated Performer: Tyler, The Creator & Kanye West
Background Vocals: Santigold & Jessy Wilson

09 WHAT’S GOOD

Assistant Engineer: Rob Bisel, MeMiceElfani & Zachary Acosta
Additional Vocals: Slowthai & Jerrod Carmichael

10 GONE, GONE / THANK YOU

Composer: Alan O'Day, Cullen Omori, Tatsuro Yamashita, Tyler Okonma
Lyricist: Alan O'Day, Cullen Omori, Tatsuro Yamashita & Tyler Okonma
Assistant Engineer: Thomas Cullison, MeMiceElfani & Zachary Acosta
Background Vocals: CeeLo Green, La Roux, Jessy Wilson, Anthony Evans, Amanda Brown & Tiffany Stevenson

11 I DON’T LOVE YOU ANYMORE

Background Vocals: Solange, Charlie Wilson & Jessy Wilson

12 ARE WE STILL FRIENDS?

Composer: Tyler Okonma & Al Green
Lyricist: Tyler Okonma & Al Green
Background Vocals: Pharrell Williams
Recording Engineer: Vic Wainstein

---

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 12:25 PM

24. "so that's where Lil Uzi Vert appears."
In response to Reply # 12

I was wondering, lol.

justin_scott
Charter member
19863 posts
Fri May-31-19 10:33 PM

14. "Tyler almost got my roommate sexually assaulted. Fuck him for life"
In response to Reply # 0

His homie put my roommate in a very uncomfortable position and said and did nothing. Luckily, she didn't get assaulted or raped, but she's still bothered by it and it was years ago. I can never support anything this dude does.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 05:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "So only 3.5 mics?"
In response to Reply # 14

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 07:35 PM

27. "this was one of those moments where laughing is inappropriate "
In response to Reply # 26

but dang this reply was funny

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

justin_scott
Charter member
19863 posts
Thu Jun-06-19 07:17 PM

29. "good to know you're also a piece of shit"
In response to Reply # 27

good to know who thinks women being assaulted is funny.

justin_scott
Charter member
19863 posts
Thu Jun-06-19 07:16 PM

28. "good job laughing at an assault of a women"

you must be a real piece of shit in real life.

hammam
Member since Nov 03rd 2011
398 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 06:35 PM

30. "RE: So only 3.5 mics?"

https://media3.giphy.com/media/5CeKUkmHo03KM/giphy.gif

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 09:39 AM

31. "I'm still mad"
In response to Reply # 0

www.anwarmorse.com

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Fri Jan-21-22 06:13 PM

32. "damn, booing 2019 Oak27 hard right now"
In response to Reply # 0

decided to revisit Flower Boy today and after I finished it up figured what the hell, lets give IGOR a fresh listen.

I was real quick to dismiss this one, basically another album that I was immediately turned off by just because it wasn't what I was expected or rather wanted. I don't know how many times I have to re-learn the same lesson there, especially with artists like Tyler.

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Fri Jan-21-22 06:36 PM

33. "Angry face!"
In response to Reply # 0

Just anger. Pure.

www.anwarmorse.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3016286 Previous topic | Next topic