Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3013383

Subject: "People Under The Stairs - Final Album" Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"People Under The Stairs - Final Album"

They just announced the drop of their final album. Feb 1.

excited... and ... damn.
https://bit.ly/2FK1EDh

werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i always enjoy their albums
Jan 23rd 2019
the PUTS always have some quality shit. Will cop.
Jan 23rd 2019
Excited/sad
Jan 23rd 2019
Sucks, but you could see it coming.
Jan 23rd 2019
I didn't see it coming
Jan 23rd 2019
      Seems like it's been in the works for almost a decade now
Jan 25th 2019
One of my favorite groups.
Jan 24th 2019
RE: People Under The Stairs - Final Album
Jan 25th 2019
album is out.
Feb 01st 2019
One and a half listens through. I'm digging it
Feb 01st 2019
damn....ive been listening to them for damn near 2 decades
Feb 01st 2019
Really Digging it
Feb 02nd 2019
I like it, but I feel like it could've been better
Feb 02nd 2019
LA Times article
Feb 06th 2019
Double K doesn't look wel.. I am geniunely concerned now,
Feb 07th 2019
kinda "e'h way to go out...wish this wasn't the last one
Feb 06th 2019
I really like it
Feb 06th 2019

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i always enjoy their albums"
In response to Reply # 0

definitely checking it out. not a huge fan but ive never been disappointed with their albums.

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "the PUTS always have some quality shit. Will cop."
In response to Reply # 0

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 02:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Excited/sad"
In response to Reply # 0

Always got time for PUTS. They're the perfect example of knowing your strengths and doing it well consistently.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44688 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Sucks, but you could see it coming."
In response to Reply # 0

Still my favorite group of the '00s. Possibly the '10s as well.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

maro
Charter member

5. "I didn't see it coming"
In response to Reply # 4

In my mind this is the exact kind of group I could see making hiphop till old age. I have seen these two live a number of times, and its been some of the best live hip-hop I've seen to date.

Think its money? Family? Self exploration?

werd.

mrhood75
44688 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 02:10 AM

7. "Seems like it's been in the works for almost a decade now"
In response to Reply # 5

First time I sensed something with "All Good Things," which was supposed to be an "Carried Away," were they basically talk about how sick they are of the music industry. Then I interviewed Thes in 2010, and there was a subtext that he was just get tired of doing a lot of things needed to continue to build an audience in the '10s. The group didn't get into social media until **maybe** Instagram.

Then when the started putting out those "Getting Off Stage" EPs in 2015, I knew the end was in sight. I figured after Vol. 3 that they were going to call it a day, but that never dropped. I'm guessing at least some of the stuff on that got repurposed for this album.

>In my mind this is the exact kind of group I could see making
>hiphop till old age. I have seen these two live a number of
>times, and its been some of the best live hip-hop I've seen to
>date.

I agree. They were excellent at what they did and I had hoped that were going to keep it going for as long as possible. And I loved every single show of theirs I went to.

>Think its money? Family? Self exploration?

Probably the second two a least a little. And just the game wasn't in them anymore. Especially Thes.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2055 posts
Thu Jan-24-19 10:17 PM

6. "One of my favorite groups. "
In response to Reply # 0

Sad to hear because I'm always checking for new music from them. Hopefully Thes One continues to make beats. Also, that track is fire! Hope it makes it on the album.

ChocoBliss
Charter member
289 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 12:26 PM

8. "RE: People Under The Stairs - Final Album"
In response to Reply # 0

definitely sad but as mentioned above, saw this coming. Thes One had a line on the Carried Away LP talking about how many albums he'd do before "being done".
I discovered this group because of this board ~2001 and their music became the soundscape of my 00s, seen them live several times when they hit the midatlantic.

Much respect for these cats.

maro
Charter member

9. "album is out."
In response to Reply # 0

and is dope.

werd.

mrhood75
44688 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 11:19 AM

10. "One and a half listens through. I'm digging it"
In response to Reply # 9

So far my jams are "Let the Record Show," "The Red Onion Wrap," "Streetsweeper," and "Flashback '88."

It's essentially another dope dedication to LA. Pre-gentrified LA.

You can also tell the stuff that was originally conceived when this was supposed to "The Getting Off Stage, Pt. 3."

-----------------

www.albumism.com

guru0509
Charter member
45302 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 11:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "damn....ive been listening to them for damn near 2 decades"
In response to Reply # 0

wow

incredible run

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5288 posts
Sat Feb-02-19 04:03 AM

12. "Really Digging it"
In response to Reply # 0

The sample on "Letter to my Son" is absolutely amazing. Really wish they were doing one last tour. Makes me sad the only time i got to see them live was opening for The Flobots.

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2055 posts
Sat Feb-02-19 11:00 AM

13. "I like it, but I feel like it could've been better"
In response to Reply # 0

Sad that this is the end of their run.

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 06:29 AM

14. "LA Times article"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-people-under-stairs-retire-20190204-story.html

“It’s our exit interview,” says Thes One as he sits in his Rolling Hills Estates backyard, looking out on a swimming pool and the treehouse he built for his two kids.

On the couch next to him is his friend and longtime collaborator Double K. For more than 20 years the pair have put out music together as People Under the Stairs. On Feb. 1 they released their 12th and final album, “Sincerely, The P.”

The hip-hop duo already played what they say will be their last-ever show back in October at London’s Jazz Cafe, but they didn’t announce its significance until tickets sold out. There will be no farewell tour or official goodbye Los Angeles performance. Don’t hold your breath waiting on any reunion projects.

PUTS have been a consistent presence in the city since 1998, when the hybrid producer-MCs self-released their debut album, “The Next Step.” Even then they were considered a throwback act. They still sampled obscure loops for their beats and embraced a back-and-forth dynamic on the microphone while rap was gravitating towards tracks composed on synthesizers and minting solo superstars.

They were, and have remained, two jokesters who espoused an outlook where life’s difficulties and drudgeries could be healed with a barbecue and/or a bag of weed.

When they began recording what became “Sincerely, The P” they didn’t think it would be their last album, but they soon felt like they had made enough party records to last a lifetime of parties and didn’t think they could outdo any of the trans-cultural tributes to L.A. they’d already created. The prospect of rapping about the realities of their current lives as two 41-year-old married guys didn’t intrigue them.

“There is no blueprint for hip-hop musicians to get older gracefully,” says Thes One, whose real name is Christopher Portugal.

As to why they wouldn’t try to be the group to create that blueprint, Double K, born Michael Turner, responds, “I think a lot of the people who grew up with us, they still want us to rap about partying, road trips and buying records, and we’re just like, ‘Man, how many times can I say it?’”

The fact that PUTS’ discography made it to the double digits is miraculous in and of itself. For many, a long-term rap career often means transitioning into acting or entrepreneurship, with the music turning into a side hustle at best. As Double K says, “Most of my favorite rap groups only made it to three , and the third one sucked.”

An often melancholy album, “Sincerely, The P” does show signs of maturity.

They’re most notable on “Letter to My Son,” where Thes One offers life advice to his 10-year-old child, who also plays saxophone on the track. It’s also most likely the only rap album this year that will include references to director Werner Herzog and Philippe’s turkey French dip sandwich.

Thes One and Double K first met when they were 16 years old. Thes grew up in San Pedro and went to Loyola High School, while Double K came from West L.A. and attended Hamilton. Both were already producing their own tracks, a rarity for kids their age since accessible computer recording programs like FruityLoops and GarageBand didn’t yet exist.

The two knew of each other, but they weren’t looking to link up. Each thought they were the best teenage beatmaker in the city. When they crossed paths at the now long-gone Martin’s Records on Pico Boulevard, they went to their mutual friend’s Toyota Corolla to play their beats on the tape deck to decide who was superior. After both of them had played a track, they realized they’d make better teammates than rivals.

I think a lot of the people who grew up with us, they still want us to rap about partying.

— Double K (Michael Turner)

Share quote & link  

While the other kids they knew only cared about new releases, they could play each other old jazz cuts or weird records they found. “Where I grew up, there was the negative, and I had the positive, which was my music,” says Double K. “I was surrounded by the negativity, the things going on in the streets, the stuff that I thought that I wanted to be a part of. I decided that this was more important. I just holed up in my room, listening to music, and then I met this dude and I had somebody else to listen to music with.”

Soon they were in the front row of every hip-hop concert they could get into and checked out open-mic nights together, but they didn’t socialize or make connections with the other aspiring acts. They kept to themselves, smoking beedis and staying quiet. “We didn't come with a crew,” says Thes One. “Our crew were the kids who paid full price to get into the show. We represented all those people.”

When they finally did start releasing music, they say L.A.’s independent music support structure wasn’t interested. Fat Beats Records didn’t want to stock them, KCRW DJs ignored them. Other local artists shunned them.

Instead they first found an audience in the United Kingdom and they realized they could make good money touring through Europe by train.

The pair learned to treat being in a hip-hop group as a job, not an extended vacation. After 2002’s “O.S.T.,” which is now considered PUTS’ most beloved album, they realized they needed to cultivate a national following if they were going to make the group a career. (The fact that only 30 people came to the albums’s hometown release party was also a swift kick in the ego.)

People Under the Stairs — Thes One (Chris Portugal), left, and Double K (Michael Turner) — have replaced the after-parties with Discovery Channel.

People Under the Stairs — Thes One (Chris Portugal), left, and Double K (Michael Turner) — have replaced the after-parties with Discovery Channel. (Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)

They took a pay cut for their show fees and hit the road hard, doing 50- or 60-date stretches. Word spread about them and their fees started climbing. When the economic downturn of the late aughts ended the financial viability of other indie artists, they cut their expenses. A People Under the Stairs tour was now just the two of them, two bags of records and a drum machine driving around the country in an Enterprise rental sedan.

When an ascendent Mac Miller brought them on as tour openers in 2011, they found a new generation of young supporters. But in recent years they’ve started feeling creepy about being the oldest guys in the club. They started turning down fans who wanted to smoke a joint with them and would invite them to house parties.

"When you get to the point where you'd rather be back at your hotel room after the show watching Discovery Channel than at the after-party, it’s probably time to consider the reason you’re there," says Thes One.

Many rappers have promised to walk away from the music before. Jay-Z most famously did so with 2003’s “The Black Album,” while just last month young star Lil Uzi Vert claimed in an Instagram post that he was done and had deleted all the tracks he’d been working on. These claims usually come from artists who know longer want to deal with the demands of success, and they usually don’t last. For PUTS, they’re ready to put the struggle behind them

Then there are the personal health issues. Once a towering figure, Double K now looks much frailer and his hands shake as he talks. Those thousands of shows around the world gave Thes One tinnitus in both ears and damaged his vocal chords.

Compound those physical problems with the emotional toll of being away from their families for extended periods and the idea of risking another overnight drive from Pittsburgh to Chicago in white-out conditions seems less and less worth it.

The ’90s may be in fashion in hip-hop these days, but that extends more to the thrifted clothing the artists wear and which cartoons they reference in their lyrics, not the actual sonics of the music. In 2019, PUTS find themselves as out of place as always.

They had to hire a company to populate “Sincerely, The P” on all the different streaming services, but they can tell that the guy who’s responsible for trying to get them placed on the increasingly important curated playlists has no idea what to do with them.

“We used to fit into the hip-hop category as the left of center, but now we're so far left we're like an Americana group at this point,” says Thes One. “Which is fine with me.”

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Feb-07-19 01:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Double K doesn't look wel.. I am geniunely concerned now,"
In response to Reply # 14

because I saw him for the first time in about 15 years in 2017 and he looked just fine.

Him, Murs and Anacron, and many other mutual friends helped save my life...I really hope dude is okay.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 09:10 AM

15. "kinda "e'h way to go out...wish this wasn't the last one"
In response to Reply # 0

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 04:54 PM

16. "I really like it"
In response to Reply # 0

which makes me sad that its the last one.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Lobby The Lesson topic #3013383 Previous topic | Next topic