Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3003718

Subject: ""For You" is 40" Previous topic | Next topic
MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 11:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""For You" is 40"

What are your memories of this album?

The 100 on the FM dial on the radio in DC today is a classic rock station, but 40 years ago, it was called "OK100". That's where I heard "Soft and Wet" for the very first time in 1978. I was six years old. I remember thinking it was a girl singing lol. I also remember thinking it sounded like nothing else on the radio at the time. I wouldn't be able to hear the entire album for many years later, but I still remember that day I heard "soft and wet" for the first time.

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i didn't think alot at the time because
Apr 08th 2018
RE: "For You" is 40
Apr 08th 2018

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i didn't think alot at the time because"
In response to Reply # 0

to me it felt part MJ, Brothers Johnson, sylvers and some others, however soft and wet was played a whole lot and he had hood love.

a interesting thing is that this soul brother who owned a record store around the way back in 86 gave me a For You Book Cover for my Books when I was in School. the picture of him with the Afro and Black leather jacket. this was for a book cover.

i also knew a couple in Houston texas who ran a record store and they had all these Promo Pictures including a rare polaroid of Prince taken that they had.

his second album had more attention in the neighborhood.

back in the day folks might give it up to you for a hit song or two however you had to have something extra to generate a bit more.

my old radio stations back in the day though played his early stuff and it was like that throughout his 80's peak and prime.i got stories as well on other acts

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 07:06 PM

2. "RE: "For You" is 40"
In response to Reply # 0

>What are your memories of this album?
>
>The 100 on the FM dial on the radio in DC today is a classic
>rock station, but 40 years ago, it was called "OK100". That's
>where I heard "Soft and Wet" for the very first time in 1978.
>I was six years old. I remember thinking it was a girl singing
>lol. I also remember thinking it sounded like nothing else on
>the radio at the time. I wouldn't be able to hear the entire
>album for many years later, but I still remember that day I
>heard "soft and wet" for the first time.

I can't say I remember when i first heard "soft and wet" and it would be years later til i heard the whole album, but the thing i loved about hearing all the Prince singles back in the day was they sounded like nothing else on the radio.

dude

Lobby The Lesson topic #3003718 Previous topic | Next topic