Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2985504

Subject: " MC Ren – The disrespected member of NWA" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Hanes
Member since May 27th 2013
429 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 11:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" MC Ren – The disrespected member of NWA"
Sat Mar-11-17 11:58 PM by Tony Hanes

MC Ren – The disrespected member of NWA

Musical Groups generally have one front man and the other members are in the background. In the case of NWA, history has failed to respect MC Ren appropriately. Yes, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and of course Eazy-E were in the public eye after NWA disbanded. MC Ren continued to make solo music like the rest of the group but his contribution to NWA was monumental. NWA was formed 30 years ago and 30 years later the movie Straight Outta Compton was released. This would have been the perfect opportunity to show how important MC Ren was to The NWA Legacy but of course that information doesn’t make for cinematic action.

I feel that young hip hop enthusiast need a full lesson on MC Ren. Not only was he one of the main writers in the group, he was possibly their best MC early on. Yes, maybe even better than Ice Cube at writing and rhyming. On NWA’s debut Album Straight Outta Compton, MC Ren wrote on 8 of the 12 songs, had 2 solo songs on the album and was a heavy influence on the direction of the songs. Did you know this? NWA dropped an EP called 100 Miles and Runnin’ before their second and final album Niggaz4Life. Just like on Straight Outta Compton, MC Ren was featured writing on EVERY song on the EP. When Niggaz4Life was released, the album credits show MC Ren as a writer on EVERY song except two tracks and he performed on every song except for those two tracks.

MC Ren had an amazing impact on NWA and West Coast Hip Hop. Our focus here is to educate fans who might not be aware of this West Coast legend. Countless MC’s from the West Coast have cited MC Ren as their favorite MC or a person of great inspiration. Outside NWA, MC Ren released 4 albums and an EP to critical acclaim. I challenge readers to research the career of MC Ren as this is only an overview to get the conversation started. At the end of the day, it’s the job of websites like Da Dome to report on artist in our culture who some would consider UNSUNG. Oh yeah, peace to DJ Yella who always played the background role. As for MC Ren, we appreciate you!

T-Hanes - www.enterdadome.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
KIZZ MY BLACK AZZ is one of my favorite hip-hop records
Mar 12th 2017
RE: KIZZ MY BLACK AZZ is one of my favorite hip-hop records
Mar 13th 2017
Kizz My Black Azz, Shock of the Hour and The Villain in Black
Mar 12th 2017
Ren is criminally underrated for sure.
Mar 12th 2017
RE: Ren is criminally underrated for sure.
Mar 13th 2017
RE: Ren is criminally underrated for sure.
Mar 13th 2017
Wha? Oh, ok you're trying to promote your website.
Mar 13th 2017
RE: Wha? Oh, ok you're trying to promote your website.
Mar 13th 2017
so what if its good??
Mar 13th 2017
      1st two paragraphs of his post feel like revisionist history
Mar 14th 2017
his solo career pretty
Mar 13th 2017
RE: his solo career pretty
Mar 13th 2017
platinum EP &
Mar 13th 2017
      not saying he was garbage in terms
Mar 14th 2017
      He did???? Got damn, everybody used to go Platinum because I never
Mar 14th 2017
I disagree that he was better than Cube, be he was really fucking good
Mar 13th 2017
Used to love Ren
Mar 14th 2017
Mad Scientist went hard as FUCK
Mar 14th 2017
what happened to him after NWA? Did he stop putting music out?
Mar 14th 2017

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Mar-12-17 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "KIZZ MY BLACK AZZ is one of my favorite hip-hop records"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-12-17 01:36 PM by Dr Claw

never mind that it's an EP, Ren made every song on that joint count

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: KIZZ MY BLACK AZZ is one of my favorite hip-hop records"
In response to Reply # 1

I haven't heard it in a while but I remember it being very dope..

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Mar-12-17 01:55 PM

2. "Kizz My Black Azz, Shock of the Hour and The Villain in Black"
In response to Reply # 0

stay in rotation. Ren is top 5 out of LA for me.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sun Mar-12-17 01:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Ren is criminally underrated for sure."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-12-17 02:00 PM by Brew

I don't know that I'd agree that Ren was a BETTER MC or writer than Cube in NWA's early days, but I wouldn't argue that they were closer to even talent-wise than most folks give Ren credit for.

I think what put Cube over the top in the public eye was just his charisma. That's not to say Ren lacked charisma, he didn't. He was menacing, engaging, and had great flow. But Cube had some "it" factor that's hard to describe in words, that just made him more endearing I think. His voice was a big part of it. He was instantly recognizable as soon as he jumped on a track. Not sure Ren had that same kind of power in the beginning.

But I want to stress that I'm mostly in agreement with what you're saying here. Ren could write rhymes just as dope as Cube's, and all his post-NWA solo work is dope and underappreciated. Just want to point out *why* I think Cube historically has been more respected than Ren.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 05:50 PM

"RE: Ren is criminally underrated for sure."

Man, I think you hit it right on the head. I can't even debate what you said because I pretty much see it the same way. Thanks for the response.

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 05:50 PM

8. "RE: Ren is criminally underrated for sure."
In response to Reply # 3

Man, I think you hit it right on the head. I can't even debate what you said because I pretty much see it the same way. Thanks for the response.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 10:07 AM

4. "Wha? Oh, ok you're trying to promote your website."
In response to Reply # 0

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 05:48 PM

6. "RE: Wha? Oh, ok you're trying to promote your website."
In response to Reply # 4

No, I've posted on okayplayer for over 10 years. These are from the website but I have no issue never mentioning it on here fam to be 100% honest.

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 06:19 PM

10. "so what if its good??"
In response to Reply # 4

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 01:27 PM

15. "1st two paragraphs of his post feel like revisionist history"
In response to Reply # 10

Title too. I'm old enough to remember these albums when they came out, so I'm wondering what his angle is. Then I saw the link.

I think NWA's content went to shit when Cube left, and I'm not the only one. I think if we took a poll Ren would be the 3rd best writer involved in the first NWA album.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 12:36 PM

5. "his solo career pretty"
In response to Reply # 0

much killed his hype. the other major players in NWA (dre, cube, eazy) went on to huge successes while Ren wasn't able to ride that train. it made him so easily forgettable in terms of NWA and his contributions.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 05:51 PM

9. "RE: his solo career pretty"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah, he lacked a monster album or monster single so he kind of got lost in the mix..

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 06:35 PM

11. "platinum EP &"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Mar-13-17 06:36 PM by howardlloyd

Platinum album

so thats not quite accurate

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 08:27 AM

13. "not saying he was garbage in terms"
In response to Reply # 11

of sales. as you pointed out, he did relatively well. but not like eazy, cube, or dre.

I think he just didn't have that strong enough it factor considering the other members of NWA. the least talented guy in the group, Eazy, sometimes shined the brightest.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 01:56 PM

17. "He did???? Got damn, everybody used to go Platinum because I never"
In response to Reply # 11

ever heard a single person in L.A. even mention his solo.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 06:38 PM

12. "I disagree that he was better than Cube, be he was really fucking good"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll add that "Mad Scientist" is one of the best and overlooked singles of the mid-'90s. That track is hard as fuck.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 08:39 AM

14. "Used to love Ren"
In response to Reply # 0

as I got older I have a harder time listening to his stuff, NWA 2nd album, etc. Just harder to laugh at the misogynistic lyrics nowadays, Behind the Scenes yeesh.. The beats tho on KMBA are dope.

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 01:43 PM

16. "Mad Scientist went hard as FUCK"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 02:02 PM

18. "what happened to him after NWA? Did he stop putting music out?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2985504 Previous topic | Next topic