Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2985502

Subject: " Every Musician is NOT a LEGEND" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Hanes
Member since May 27th 2013
429 posts
Sat Mar-11-17 11:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Every Musician is NOT a LEGEND"

Every Musician is NOT a LEGEND

The word “Legend” or Legendary is often thrown around casually. Over the years the very term has been watered down. Fans now equate legendary with artist or albums they personally love but the criteria that warrant legendary status is often missing in my humble opinion. Being famous doesn’t mean an artist is a legend. In each genre of Music there are individuals and groups that set a standard of excellence. This excellence often influences artist and fans for generations. We know that music fans can be emotional as people feel a “connection” to their favorite artist. Objectivity is often missing in discussing music but I always attempt to stay in the middle without bias.

When I think of legends names such as Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, LL Cool J, Madonna and Prince come to mind. So, my criteria for a LEGEND are going to be tougher than most people. To me, you have to be 20 years in your genre with influence, success, and a direct impact on peers. Yes, there are exceptions to all rules! Yes, there are artist like Jimi Hendrix (27 years old), Buddy Holly (22 years old) & Biggie Smalls (24 years old) who died early in their careers. Yes, most people in each genre of music they represent consider them legends. There is a reason why The Rolling Stones are legends and not Tears for Fears. Tears for Fears were a great group in the 1980’s that have songs today we still enjoy. They had a nice run of 4 albums that charted. On the other hand, The Rolling Stones discography showcases 26 albums that have charted and span over 40 years. That’s the difference between a great group that I love and a “Legendary” group that I recognize.

In conclusion, it’s important not to be a prisoner of the moment. You don’t call Drake a legend because he's famous and can sell a lot of records. Don’t get me wrong, some young artist might end up legendary but you have to give them “time”. Drake is a successful artist but legend in this regard would be Rakim, KRS or the above mentioned LL Cool J. I’m eager to see what artist and groups will be considered legends by music fans who will read this blog. As a music fanatic I hold the term “Legend” in the highest regard so it’s rarely used in my conversations

T-Hanes - www.enterdadome.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Every Musician is NOT a LEGEND
Mar 12th 2017
dictionaries are used to provide a source for spelling, enunciation and ...
Mar 12th 2017
      RE: dictionaries are used to provide a source for spelling, enunciation ...
Mar 12th 2017
           this 'to me' shit that people are on really brings down discourse
Mar 19th 2017
Hate him or love him, Drake WILL be a legend. He's had a run that
Mar 13th 2017
He's been a legend and it burns the haters up so much.
Mar 19th 2017
there's no in-between anymore.
Mar 15th 2017
Legend and Classic are so personally subjective, there's really no
Mar 16th 2017
^^^^
Mar 16th 2017
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's a wrap.
Mar 19th 2017
its all subjective,however the rules of what we grew up on
Mar 18th 2017
^^^ TRUTH ^^^
Mar 20th 2017
Hendrix is my favorite musical artist
Mar 19th 2017

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Mar-12-17 06:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Every Musician is NOT a LEGEND"
In response to Reply # 0

to be legendary they only have to be extrememly famous

leg·end ˈlejənd/Submit
noun

1. a traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated.
"the legend of King Arthur"
synonyms: myth, saga, epic, tale, story, folk tale, folk story, fairy tale, fable, mythos, folklore, lore, mythology, fantasy, oral history, folk tradition; urban myth
"Arthurian legends"

2 an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.
"the man was a living legend"
synonyms: celebrity, star, superstar, icon, phenomenon, luminary, leading light, giant; More

adjective
1. very well known.
"his speed and ferocity in attack were legend"

dude

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Mar-12-17 09:58 AM

2. "dictionaries are used to provide a source for spelling, enunciation and ..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Mar-12-17 09:58 AM by Garhart Poppwell

and diction, so they aren't toally reliable for defining what words mean because they often give summations of how they are used; people use words incorrectly all the time, and often dictionary definitions reflect this. Encyclopedias are better suited for learning what words mean.

See also: "classic"

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Mar-12-17 02:49 PM

3. "RE: dictionaries are used to provide a source for spelling, enunciation ..."
In response to Reply # 2

there can be several definitions and even then its relative

he's right every musician is not a legend, but who are we to tell others who's a legend to them, within reason.

dude

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Mar-19-17 10:35 AM

10. "this 'to me' shit that people are on really brings down discourse"
In response to Reply # 3

because some things aren't to be debated. The idea that just because someone has an opinion that it's a valid one is silly at best. Not talking about you or your post, just musing on the state of discussion with art of any kind.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Mar-13-17 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Hate him or love him, Drake WILL be a legend. He's had a run that"
In response to Reply # 0

barely any rappers in the game have eeeeeeeever had.

Albums are meh, but he stays with hot singles, and in an era of short attention spans. Literally every year since 2009, which means 9 years now, he's had multiple hit songs. I always argue that most of his hits come and go, and that not many will really be seen as legendary, classic songs, but the consistency is still unheard of, for real.
And it doesn't look like he's falling off any time soon. Every time I think he is, he somehow comes with something else. And he has hits in so many lanes...Motto for the West, 0 to 100 and Energy for the East, Controlla & One dance for the Dancehall sound, essentially created a sound for Canada that ended up influencing ALLLLL of R&B, and then has a whole lot of hits using the South's style, which has changed a bit every 2 years.

So yea, I mean, if he isn't "Hall of fame" today, it's only because he's still active.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Sun Mar-19-17 11:09 AM

11. "He's been a legend and it burns the haters up so much. "
In response to Reply # 4

<--- Big Baller World Order

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Wed Mar-15-17 07:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "there's no in-between anymore."
In response to Reply # 0

I agree. Not every musician is a legend. But we live in a world where people are quick to crown something 'great' or 'classic' for any arbitrary number of reasons. I just read a "best of 2017" list that was published in February. FEBRUARY. So shit has gotten so mad that we use no real criteria other than "I like it" or "it sold a lot" to determine legendary status.

same with "classic", "GOAT", and my least favorite "Hottest in the game" ( which has almost NO meaning...)

Back again for the first time.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 09:32 AM

6. "Legend and Classic are so personally subjective, there's really no"
In response to Reply # 0

point in discussing it.

if a musician is a legend to you, so be it.

if an album is a classic to you, then it's a classic to you.

it's like arguing if pizza is better than cheeseburgers. pointless.

Shogun
3042 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 10:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Sun Mar-19-17 10:33 AM

9. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's a wrap."
In response to Reply # 6

>point in discussing it.
>
>if a musician is a legend to you, so be it.
>
>if an album is a classic to you, then it's a classic to you.
>
>
>it's like arguing if pizza is better than cheeseburgers.
>pointless.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Mar-18-17 10:34 PM

8. "its all subjective,however the rules of what we grew up on"
In response to Reply # 0

as a certain age is different today. Michael Jackson is a Legend and you got drake getting as many award nominations as him. you got Rhianna who has already charted more songs than Michael Jackson, tell there fans that Drake and Rhianna aren't legends or Beyonce and see what happens?

to me alot of Acts can be called Legend, however not many called Musical genius.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Shogun
3042 posts
Mon Mar-20-17 09:00 AM

13. "^^^ TRUTH ^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

>as a certain age is different today. Michael Jackson is a
>Legend and you got drake getting as many award nominations as
>him. you got Rhianna who has already charted more songs than
>Michael Jackson, tell there fans that Drake and Rhianna aren't
>legends or Beyonce and see what happens?

Yep. To them 'sales/popularity' = talent.

>
>to me alot of Acts can be called Legend, however not many
>called Musical genius.

agreed.

Key
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2715 posts
Sun Mar-19-17 11:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Hendrix is my favorite musical artist"
In response to Reply # 0

When i was introduced to him in 9th grade my friend told me that he was a genius similar to a Mozart or Beethoven which i wasn't really expecting. I think he was right - every single recording he released with The Experience was great. I have a hard time not holding other artists up to that high bar after being shocked by him. I don't think many if any artists really stack up to a high standard like that. Not that i don't love a lot of other artists and albums.

Genius and Legend may be used way too much imo. Maybe only time can tell if these things are actually true or not.

http://keymusic.bandcamp.com/album/apophenia

https://keymusic.bandcamp.com/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2985502 Previous topic | Next topic