Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2984222

Subject: "Is this the best era for Classic/Throwback rappers to make new music?" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Feb-15-17 06:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Is this the best era for Classic/Throwback rappers to make new music?"

So I randomly stumbled on Whodini's song from 1996 called "Be my lady" which was produced by JD, and has R. Kelly on the hook - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9SRit6swMk - and I went and listened to the entire "Six" album they put out that year. Man, they were trying so hard, forcing their image, even more than Run DMC did in the 90's.

And it makes me think about how many acts such as Tribe, De La, Raekwon, and even Rap n B acts like BBD, have been able to find recent success with their latest projects. Do you all feel that this might be the best era for throwback artists to make new music?

Here's how I see it...in the mid 90's, image and style was EVERYTHING, and things changed every 2-3 years. The biggest shift was likely from The Chronic, but even before that, there were a few huge shifts, and things changed again around 97. And with that, basically all the 80's acts aside from LL really got washed away, with only a few finding success on features, such as Run, Rakim, and Slick Rick.

In this era, it seems like a lot of fans who grew up on certain artists are open to hearing their new music, but they aren't looking for them to change their sound for real...just a slight sonic evolution is all they really need. Also...I feel that Rap itself hasn't evolved a whole whole lot since the 90's, and many of us can listen to songs that sound all the way 90's, and enjoy them as new songs. While in the 90's, hearing almost anything from the 80's just sounded completely outdated....from the flow, to the lyrics, and to the production.

I feel that there are even more reasons, but I've already said enough...what do you think?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yes, for various reasons.
Feb 16th 2017
Be My Lady was cool because Kellz did a updated version of your body's c...
Feb 16th 2017
Yes...and now that I think about it...
Feb 17th 2017
Yeaaaa that really was the thing that started it, huh??
Feb 17th 2017
Speaking of that Whodini album. This was sooo embarrassing...
Feb 17th 2017
dr dre
Feb 17th 2017
      He's never been this bad though!! N/M
Feb 17th 2017

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Thu Feb-16-17 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yes, for various reasons."
In response to Reply # 0

Because a halfway decent record from an old head is probably going to be better than a joint from a current artist.

Also, older cats ( in some, but not all) cases put more effort into the release to make it worth remembering, not just to make some quick cash and jet.

BUT. I'm not of the frame of mind where we all need to relive the 90's. I could live with a random single here and there, but I don't need a bunch of albums from cats we haven't heard from in over a decade.

Back again for the first time.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Feb-16-17 11:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Be My Lady was cool because Kellz did a updated version of your body's c..."
In response to Reply # 0

Jermaine Dupri signed Whodini as a return thank you because JD use to dance for Whodini back in the day, however Whodini didn't feel
being on So So def.

as to your question depends on the artist and whom who is working with who. however this ageism is real.

if a Old School rapper came out now, i wonder if they gotta have dram on the hook? you know some trap

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Feb-17-17 12:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Yes...and now that I think about it..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-17-17 12:35 AM by Anonymous

Raekwon deserves a lot of credit for OB4CL2.

That kind of set this trend off.

While people focused on it setting off a trend of "part 2" follow up albums, I see it as a legend successfully recapturing the essence of his classic while still keeping it fresh.

And the success and critical acclaim that album received opened the door for more old school artists to feel comfortable staying in their lane and not trying to fit into the new wave of hip-hop.

Certain artists, like Jadakiss, need to desperately follow this blueprint.

The other part of it is generational. People who grew up on hip-hop in the 90s don't want to hear this new shit. We want artists that we like to make the music we grew up with. As long as its dope and has a fresh vibe to it as well.

The way music is consumed also helps. Hip-Hop reached a point where you either rock with the mainstream or you don't. And if you don't then you can dig through the Internet which provides artists of all kinds to have an outlet. So older MCs are able to tap into their fanbase and get them music where as before they weren't able to get distribution and radio play unless they were trying to fit into the mainstream. That's why MCs like OC can still release dope music like Same Moon Same Sun.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Feb-17-17 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yeaaaa that really was the thing that started it, huh??"
In response to Reply # 3

Like, he stayed true to his style and sound, but it still sounded fresh...and that's what it is now. You can use your original style, long as it has a modern polish to it. Tribe wasn't gonna appeal to little 14 year old Dabbers by making a forced Trap record, so "We the people" was PERFECT for them...same BPM but just a darker energy that reflected what's going on.

>The way music is consumed also helps. Hip-Hop reached a point
>where you either rock with the mainstream or you don't. And if
>you don't then you can dig through the Internet which provides
>artists of all kinds to have an outlet. So older MCs are able
>to tap into their fanbase and get them music where as before
>they weren't able to get distribution and radio play unless
>they were trying to fit into the mainstream. That's why MCs
>like OC can still release dope music like Same Moon Same Sun.

This is true, too. In previous eras, some of the old heads were blocked out from radio unless they did make a forced trendy sounding record. Now, they can still have it exposed to their core audience via the internet, and also with this wave of throwback artist concerts that's been strong all decade.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Fri Feb-17-17 02:14 PM

5. "Speaking of that Whodini album. This was sooo embarrassing..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cI45C4oVxY

(not trying to post jack but...)

Maaaannnn, this was such a poor idea.

I always thought the idea of having a ghostwriter was to have the writer but invisible.

This was the most obvious ghostwritten song of all times!!!!lol

And then had The LBs featured on the song!

I def. blame Whodini and I def. blame JD but Cheeks should have known enough to try and change the flow up so that it wasn't so obvious.

maro
Charter member

6. "dr dre"
In response to Reply # 5

"I always thought the idea of having a ghostwriter was to have the writer but invisible."

Dr dre would disagree

werd.

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Fri Feb-17-17 05:01 PM

7. "He's never been this bad though!! N/M"
In response to Reply # 6

Lobby The Lesson topic #2984222 Previous topic | Next topic