Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2982221

Subject: "Which albums had a profound impact on you?" Previous topic | Next topic
OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Which albums had a profound impact on you?"

As in..you feel that it changed you as a person ..you weren't the same..it defined a turning point or a certain era of your life

For me...
Love - Forever Changes
Fantastic Vol 2
Wu Tang Forever
Paul's Boutique
Lootpack - Sound pieces
Eric Burdon & War - The Black Mans Burdon
Fear Of A Black Planet
Midnight Marauders
Sex Packets
Portishead Dummy & Portishead

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
TPAB
Jan 18th 2017
Purple Rain - Prince
Jan 18th 2017
Got to agree on Portishead
Jan 18th 2017
Either due to quality of the album, time period ...
Jan 18th 2017
Nas' Illmatic & Black Star (Mos Def/Talib Kweli)
Jan 18th 2017
Michael Jackson off the wall and thriller R.Kelly 12 play,self title
Jan 18th 2017
RE: Which albums had a profound impact on you?
Jan 18th 2017
Songs in the Key of Life, Innervisions,hotter than july
Jan 18th 2017

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "TPAB"
In response to Reply # 0

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13967 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 01:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Purple Rain - Prince"
In response to Reply # 0

Nation of millions - Public enemy

Nevermind the Bollocks here's the Sex Pistols

Damaged - Black Flag

Three feet high and rising - De la Soul

There's a riot goin' on - Sly and the Family Stone

Band of gypsys

Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

Wolf songs for Lambs - Jonathan Fire*Eater

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Got to agree on Portishead"
In response to Reply # 0

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Either due to quality of the album, time period ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... it was released in relation to major events in my life, or both, here's a top of my head list, mostly hip-hop:

The Chronic - Dr. Dre
(was my first hip-hop album, set the stage for my listening preferences during my formative years ... production-wise it really laid the foundation for me, and just being my first front-to-back hip-hop experience in general)

Common - One Day It'll All Make Sense
(was kind of my first foray into the "underground" hip-hop scene after years of just following the radio stuff. Luckily to that point, the radio stuff had been mostly quality and up my alley as the west coast sound dominated national hip-hop radio for much of the mid-90s ... but once the bling era came to be I became sort of disenfranchised and started digging for alternative artists which is when I came across Common. This set off a lifetime of ignoring the radio and searching for quality hip-hop which is naturally how I ended up here and continues to this day)

The Roots - Things Fall Apart / Mos Def - Black on Both Sides / Common - Like Water for Chocolate / Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought / Blackalicious - Nia / D'Angelo - Voodoo / Lauryn Hill - Miseducation / Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
(my Moms got diagnosed with cancer in 1998 and died in early 2000 and so this era of hip-hop and neo-soul, specifically the albums above, were and remain of MASSIVE importance to me as they helped get me through the toughest period of my life. The hopeful, positive tone of all of the above-referenced albums spoke to me and gave me an outlet/distraction from just being constantly sad and lost. They also birthed my habit of deciphering lyrics/metaphors/wordplay/etc. and sample-searching which, again, was a needed distraction at the time from all that my family was going through. Hearing any of these albums now, in a weird way, helps me remember my Mom and all our memories through the years, even though they were all released around the time she was sick and subsequently passed)

Kanye West - Graduation
(this album was the soundtrack to the beginning of my new post-college life so it simply brings me back to one of the most important transitions I've ever gone through everytime I listen to it. Super nostalgic)

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 07:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Nas' Illmatic & Black Star (Mos Def/Talib Kweli)"
In response to Reply # 0

As I am younger than most of the posters on here I got into those albums way after the fact (either late middle or early high school - note I am high school class of 2009) and long story short they sent me down the journey of music obsession/nerd/snobbery/whatever you want to call it (starting out with hip hop, obviously, which led me to rock, jazz etc) that led me to absolutely loving music and listening to a lot of it. And in my pursuit of that I have gone to some absolutely great shows and met/became friends with some awesome people. That isn't to say that I didn't listen to music before that, it's just to say that I wasn't super into it - reading about it, talking about it etc etc before I heard those two albums in full. Black Star also led to me joining OKP and I've been here for years and discovered a lot of music through it, so...yeah....

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 09:40 PM

6. "Michael Jackson off the wall and thriller R.Kelly 12 play,self title"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-18-17 10:08 PM by mistermaxxx08

Rick James come and get it, Street songs

Earth wind and fire thats the way of the world, all in all, i am

Bee Gees Greatest hits meant big time to me

Dre Dre the chronic

Miles Davis Kind of Blue

Crusaders street life

Nat King COle Christmas album

Ice Cube Amerikkka's most wanted

Public Enemy it takes a nation of millions

snoop dogg doggystyle

Kirk Franklin and the family debut

Steely dan aja

George Michael Faith

Prince 1999

sly and the family stone greatest hits

CUrtis Mayfield superfly

Marvin Gaye i want you

al green still in love with you

guy guy

Bobby Brown don't be cruel

and others

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 10:16 PM

7. "RE: Which albums had a profound impact on you?"
In response to Reply # 0

2Pac- All Eyez On Me
ATCQ- The Love Movement
OutKast- Aquemini

First albums I learned a majority of the lyrics and could rap along with, especially TLM, would put the headphones on and spit every song beginning to end

remember being mad when BET wouldn't show the video for "Rosa Parks" as often as I'd like and started realizing that BS gets played more than the real shit

and 2Pac, the soundtrack to sooooo many moments, talk about a hood sing along

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 11:04 PM

8. "Songs in the Key of Life, Innervisions,hotter than july"
In response to Reply # 0

talking book Stevie Wonder been big to my ears forever as the case with Michael Jackson.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2982221 Previous topic | Next topic