Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2979365

Subject: "Artists you still think have their first hit/critically acclaimed album ..." Previous topic | Next topic
SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 02:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Artists you still think have their first hit/critically acclaimed album ..."

Obviously these terms can be subjective, but for the sake of argument I'm measuring a hit album as 1 million (by whatever newfangled measurements they use these days)/multiple high charting songs and an album that is racking up 90%+ on reviews from the big sites/general widespread discussion of the album being a classic. Then again, it's not that serious, yall get the gist.

This could be a newer artist you think will grow into this, maybe it's an older artist who's showed promise & even if they haven't yet, you think they still have a shot to do it.

Someone like Drake has a hit album while someone like YG dropped a debut album that a lot of people felt was a classic/got a lot of critical acclaim.

I was just listening to Dom Kennedy & even though he's put out stuff I'd consider great albums, he hasn't dropped a project that got him to the next level with critical acclaim. His last two projects have been disappointing (especially Best After Bobby 2), but the best stuff from FSDS/FTWSWL etc. makes me think he could capture lightning in a bottle & put out the perfect summertime in LA album (which, because it's LA, the rest of the country will fuck with to live vicariously through). He works with producers that really capture that sound, he stays in his lane (as simple as that may be), has the right features, puts out a song or two that get some radio play, etc. & he has it.

Someone else that comes to mind is B.o.B./Bobby Ray. Yea, he's put out a lot of trash (& although some folks haven't fucked with his music from jump, a lot of folks have hated on everything w/o listening bc he left that weird/outkast lane into making pop rap records), but as someone who was a fan of his early work, I think he could put out something that captures that feel with one or two catchy songs but has an overall sound that people fuck with. It could be this gospel sound going around, it could be a jazzier take a la kendrick, it could be something else. But his best moments make me think it's doable.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone like Logic made something super poppy & comes away with a #1 song. he has a following & could hit something like big sean #s.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2979365 Previous topic | Next topic