Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2964754

Subject: "What would be on the Romances of Ms. Erykah Badu Mixtape?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Thu May-05-16 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What would be on the Romances of Ms. Erykah Badu Mixtape?"

I just finished this excellent read in the new Yorker about Erykah Badu

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/04/25/erykah-badu-the-godmother-of-soul

I think it was the most I've ever read about her story in one place.

I dug how they interspersed her lyrics throughout the story to help tell her story.

Also mentioned the lyrics of the dudes she was dating and I feel like a narrative through song was emerging.

Got me thinking it would be a great mixtape of songs by her, Andre3000, Common, (anyone else?) to tell the story of her and the loves of her life.

Kind of like a Their Eyes Were Watching God in song.

But I will admit that I don't her catalog like that.

So I am asking OKP, what are the Erykah Badu songs that you think are somewhat autobiographical and tell the story of her and her lovers.

What songs by the dudes that dated her speak on their relationship with her.

BTW, I know the mixtape has to end with the Hello duet with her and Andre (I mean dude's got to be the love of her life for the mixtape narrative's purpose right?).

Also, I know he didn't date her, but I love the Dilla story about her fixing tea and massaging him as an interlude.

I know I am being a bit lazy crowdsourcing this, but I don't want to miss any tracks out there that could contribute to the story.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
weird and creepy idea. n/m
May 06th 2016
It can end with The DOC Beautiful but Deadly...
May 06th 2016

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Fri May-06-16 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "weird and creepy idea. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Fri May-06-16 12:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It can end with The DOC Beautiful but Deadly..."
In response to Reply # 0

they have a child(ren?)?

Lobby The Lesson topic #2964754 Previous topic | Next topic