Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2959333

Subject: "That 'Hamilton' soundtrack is nooice..." Previous topic | Next topic
Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Mar-12-16 11:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"That 'Hamilton' soundtrack is nooice..."
Sat Mar-12-16 11:07 PM by Voodoochilde

Wife bought it and hipped me to it (she's completely obsessed with it).
i gotta say, i was impressed, the combo of great wide variety of SUPER catchy songs, really strong on-point performers, and excellent production...and i mean EXCELLENT production....

this is my shit right now...

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Did ?uest work on that project?
Mar 13th 2016
really? i don't know, wife has the cd in her car...
Mar 13th 2016
both he and BT did, i think
Mar 14th 2016
      RE: both he and BT did, i think
Mar 14th 2016
I LOVE the hamilton soundtrack
Mar 14th 2016
Peep
Mar 14th 2016
and years later....
Jan 13th 2020
I don't get the play bsuiness
Jan 14th 2020
oh trust me the Play is STILL making money...
Jan 14th 2020
movie isn't be-all, end-all
Jan 14th 2020
oh, to be clear, the blu ray isnt a 'movie' per se'...
Jan 14th 2020
RE: I don't get the play bsuiness
Jan 14th 2020
You don't make the movie until the theater production is no longer a mon...
Jan 14th 2020
      RE: You don't make the movie until the theater production is no longer a...
Jan 14th 2020
People at work been trying to hip me for years...
Jan 14th 2020
I clowned this dude when he said it's one of the greatest Hip-Hop works
Jan 14th 2020
      I still havent seen it
Jan 14th 2020
      Bruh, one of the greatest moments as a parent...
Jan 15th 2020
           This is heavy bro...wow
Jan 15th 2020
      Live theater generally doesn't do it for me
Jan 14th 2020
      Nobody believes anybody about it
Jan 15th 2020

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sun Mar-13-16 02:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Did ?uest work on that project?"
In response to Reply # 0

I want to say he was thanked during Manuel's Grammy Award acceptance speech.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Mar-13-16 09:15 PM

2. "really? i don't know, wife has the cd in her car..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Mar-13-16 09:20 PM by Voodoochilde

...so i actually haven't had a chance to check the liner notes to see the details yet, only listened to the music itself. but you know what...hah! that WOULD explain a lot of stuff...i remember several times thinking 'dayum, the drummer is KILLIN right there!'...hah....i'm gonna have to go out to the car and see if thats the case now...back in a bit...

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Mar-14-16 05:25 AM

3. "both he and BT did, i think"
In response to Reply # 1

I think they are credited as co-musical producers (can't remember) --- not sure what exactly they did, but definitely involved.

I study and teach history so the musical is especially interesting to me --- I was a bit wary at first, but the soundtrack really won me over, as well as interviews with Manuel Miranda, who seems to have an energy reserve with no end and a really thoughtful, sharp mind (which translates to an equally sharp and thoughtful vision). Thinking of trying to take a weekend trip out to see it later this year...

So yeah, ditto the original post. Really great stuff.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Mar-14-16 06:30 AM

4. "RE: both he and BT did, i think"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Mar-14-16 06:33 AM by Voodoochilde

>I think they are credited as co-musical producers (can't
>remember) --- not sure what exactly they did, but definitely
>involved.
>
>I study and teach history so the musical is especially
>interesting to me --- I was a bit wary at first, but the
>soundtrack really won me over, as well as interviews with
>Manuel Miranda, who seems to have an energy reserve with no
>end and a really thoughtful, sharp mind (which translates to
>an equally sharp and thoughtful vision). Thinking of trying to
>take a weekend trip out to see it later this year...
>
>So yeah, ditto the original post. Really great stuff.
>
>
>-thebigfunk
>

yeah i have a feeling i'll be trying to afford tickets for my wife to see this at some point this year too. Like i said she's gotten really REALLY into it, showing us YouTube clips and interview clips from the Mr Miranda (who, as you mentioned, has a seemingly unending amount of energy and enthusiasm that is really infectious)

i didn't mention the Historical element of it in my original post, but yeah thats part of the charm and appeal to me too....the fact that i'm learning some genuine history by listening to this soundtrack/play and genuinely ENJOYING myself while doing it is a testament to the creativity of the work itself...i mean, on the surface at least, you wouldn't THINK that the historical source material would be thought of as 'entertaining', but put in this context and executed this well, it absolUTEly works on every level, IS entertaining, AND even makes you kinda wanna go back and read more/learn more about that source material....

so yeah, i'm like damn. well done...very very well done...

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Mon Mar-14-16 09:59 AM

5. "I LOVE the hamilton soundtrack"
In response to Reply # 0

That said I did delete about 10 songs so the story flowed better.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Mon Mar-14-16 06:37 PM

6. "Peep"
In response to Reply # 0

The "HAMILTON (ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST RECORDING)" is executive produced by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson and Tariq "Black Thought" Trotter, founding members of the Grammy Award winning hip-hop band, The Roots. "HAMILTON" has book, music and lyrics by Tony and Grammy Award-winning composer Lin Manuel Miranda, who also plays the title role. The musical is directed by Thomas Kail, with choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler and music direction and orchestrations by Alex Lacamoire. "HAMILTON" is inspired by Ron Chernow's biography "Alexander Hamilton."

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Jan-13-20 10:48 PM

7. "and years later...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-13-20 10:54 PM by Voodoochilde

...so we were listening to this soundtrack on the road this weekend, (yes, its been years and we're STILL spinning it regularly....THATS how solid this thing is.) Now, years later....after its become the phenomena that it became....now that ive become as much of a fan of it as my wife (in fact, i think i may have her BEAT on that front at this point)....i thought i recalled having posted about it when she first hipped me to it and i wanted to see what my first impressions were way back when...

...all i gotta say is, yep...any praises it got, it deserved...this album still holds up, id say it even gets better as the years go by....im still finding different 'favorite parts' to this day....

that there is a nice piece o work....

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 12:10 AM

8. "I don't get the play bsuiness"
In response to Reply # 7

But why haven't they released Hamilton as a movie yet?

I mean a straight filmed performance without anything else.

Like being in the audience + a little closer?

I think it's make 100 million dollars at least.

Is touring milking it on Broadway and touring it going to beat Hollywood money?

Pre edit: Never mind, it's made $612 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_musicals

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 12:37 AM

9. "oh trust me the Play is STILL making money..."
In response to Reply # 8

thats part of why my ass is broke right now....the play tour came to my town a few months back and i HAD to get tix 'for my wife'....but i ended up loving it so much that I told her i wanted to go see it again, so we splurged for another show on closing night right before it left our town....i told her if it was still in our area i'd probably get tix to see it a third time...that shit is straight up infectious. (to be honest, i was initially kinda unsure of how it would be without the original cast, but i'll be damned if the touring cast didnt knock that sheet outta the park!)

but yeah....my guess is that, after the play tour ends, before they release the original cast blu ray, they'll probably do some sort of Fathom type of Event in movie theaters release of the original cast recording (which i'll also go to too)....THEN finally, they'll release the original cast blu ray with some documentary behind the scenes/making of extras (which i'll ALSO buy).

yeah...they'll be getting my money....like i said, that shit is infectious.

team Peggy baby! (Peggy was FOINE!)

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 12:48 AM

10. "movie isn't be-all, end-all"
In response to Reply # 8

sometimes a thing is made exactly for the medium it works best in.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 06:53 AM

11. "oh, to be clear, the blu ray isnt a 'movie' per se'..."
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Jan-14-20 07:07 AM by Voodoochilde

its NOT a 'movie' as in a reimagining with sets and scenes etc....the blu-ray release is actually going to the original Broadway show itself with the original cast (they simply filmed some of the performances way-back-when, before the original cast started leaving the show, so THATS what the blu-ray is gonna be)

and yeah, i agree that, IF it comes to your town and IF you can afford to see it, live in person is DEFinitely the way to go. its really REALLy a powerful stage performance & production, made even moreso when you're IN 'the room where it happens'. BUT, if you're not fortunate enough to have it come near your town, or if you're not able to swing the $$ when it does (if it came to my town right now THIS week, i'd have to skip it cuz its 'bills paycheck time' lol)...then having a blu ray of the original Theater production, just as it happened on Broadway with the original cast, with surround sound is the next best thing....

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 08:00 AM

12. "RE: I don't get the play bsuiness"
In response to Reply # 8

>Is touring milking it on Broadway and touring it going to beat
>Hollywood money?
>
>Pre edit: Never mind, it's made $612
>million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_musicals
>

lol - yeah, it's brought it in for sure.

Even if it hadn't, though, I bet that Miranda would want to let it ride out first as a play as long as he could -- it's so clearly designed as a theater production first - his love for the theater comes through from start to finish (in staging, plotting, everything).

Also, translating musicals to screen are notoriously tricky. You have a canon of classics (think Rodgers and Hammerstein) but also a large number of big flops. And all around panning is 100% more likely when you are trying to convert a mega-musical: Rent took years to be adapted and when it was got terrible reviews (it wasn't all that bad but it didn't capture the spirit of the original very well); Phantom; Les Mis; more recently Cats.

His earlier musical In the Heights is being adapted for film though; for those who haven't heard it, it is very much Hamilton's predecessor musically, and the trailer definitely felt like it was riding the Hamilton wave. IMDB says expected in June 2020.

-thebigfunk

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 09:26 AM

14. "You don't make the movie until the theater production is no longer a mon..."
In response to Reply # 7

maker.

And the theater production will be a money maker, I would say, for another decade.

I feel like middle class America is JUST discovering Hamilton.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 09:48 AM

16. "RE: You don't make the movie until the theater production is no longer a..."
In response to Reply # 14

>I feel like middle class America is JUST discovering Hamilton.

I don't think they're just discovering it - that thing was everywhere and for an out of the blue musical made got crazy attention on every awards show, afternoon/late night talk shows, podcast and NPR circuit, etc.

But a lot of them are just now SEEING it for sure, bc most Americans didn't have the dollars to fly to NYC and spend major amounts of cash for tickets. And that's part of what gives it longevity, I think, is all these folks know the soundtrack but are just now getting opportunities to see it for the first time.

-thebigfunk

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 09:25 AM

13. "People at work been trying to hip me for years..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I finally dove in right before the holidays. It's such a masterful piece of work. Copped it on CD for the car and vinyl for the crib. I listen to the whole thing probably twice a week.

The second disc in particular is the most affecting to me, but you can 't get there without the setup of disc one. Payoff after payoff, such a rewarding and entertaining listen.

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 09:28 AM

15. "I clowned this dude when he said it's one of the greatest Hip-Hop works"
In response to Reply # 13

ever. I was like, yeah right.

I walked into the theater and I turned to my wife and was like, "We know this won't live up to all the hype people have been talking about this right?" We agreed. End of the show, we were like this is better than anything I thought it would be.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

201cue
2204 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 10:39 AM

17. "I still havent seen it"
In response to Reply # 15

...and honestly I dont know if I ever will--not sure if I can handle it. The music is just so emotionally resonant for me. It's hit me at the right time in life (new dad, complicated relationship, mid-life in general)

I've cried like a baby to "It's Quiet Uptown" for instance. But like I said you can't get to that point without all of the setup and rapping from act one.

I clowned people that were trying to get me into it when it first dropped too. Why on earth would I want to listen to what sounded like a Boomer high school social studies teacher trying to connect with at-risk youth?

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Wed Jan-15-20 10:05 AM

19. "Bruh, one of the greatest moments as a parent..."
In response to Reply # 17

We were on a road trip and while the boys have loved the first half of the CD they never got around to listening to the last quarter of it. We riding and Quiet Uptown comes on and it's quiet in the car and I look back and my Seven Year old (or maybe six year old at the time?) is bawling. It was the first time I had ever seen my kid emotionally react to art. I had no idea he would get what was going on and he did...it was beautiful.

My other son didn't want to hear that part of the CD anymore because it was so sad but before we took the boys to see the stage version my kid wanted to hear the sad part again to prepare himself for it.

For me it was Thriller, but the Hamilton Soundtrack will really be the soundtrack to their childhood.

201cue
2204 posts
Wed Jan-15-20 01:05 PM

20. "This is heavy bro...wow"
In response to Reply # 19

...I can totally see this being a 6 year-old's thriller. My kid (5yrs) told me they play tracks from the album after the announcements at school.

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 07:22 PM

18. "Live theater generally doesn't do it for me"

>I walked into the theater and I turned to my wife and was
>like, "We know this won't live up to all the hype people have
>been talking about this right?" We agreed. End of the show,
>we were like this is better than anything I thought it would
>be.
>

But your reaction was the same as mine. I thought the hype behind the musical was just that, hype. But it delivers.

I don't think it's easy to surprise or awe audiences now. We just see so much content that it's hard to walk into a show and not have some preconceived notion about it.

But Hamiliton killed it. I'd recommend it to anyone, whether their a history buff, musical fan, or a hip-hop head. It's the truth.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Jan-15-20 02:28 PM

21. "Nobody believes anybody about it"

even if the person they trust the most says its transformative, its just such a hard pill to swallow without hearing it

Lobby The Lesson topic #2959333 Previous topic | Next topic