Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2950037

Subject: "what are 3 things you would change about R&B?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Nov-12-15 11:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"

for me its easy

you better be soulful like Harry wayne Casey and Teena Marie or have a band like the Average White Band because I don't like just any white act trying to be down and when you know it ain't felt on the real 1)

you ain't gotta rap just create the musical Gumbo which R&B. everybody wants to be R&B, why you gotta leave your front Porch to appeal? 2)

do your thing and don't cross over. if Pop wants to Pop its corn your way,than tell them to bring the butter and there own popper. don't water down your soul

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
only one: stop fucking a good song with a corny rap!
Nov 13th 2015
^ this. less phoned in rap features and more R&b duets please
Nov 13th 2015
RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?
Nov 13th 2015
Nov 13th 2015
Some Of These Notes Are On Point But Is Being Done
Nov 17th 2015
Nov 13th 2015
Agreed, Being Hood Or Street Isn't Attractive
Nov 17th 2015
Nov 13th 2015
Nov 13th 2015
no more R Kelly, Chris Brown type of singers
Nov 15th 2015
lets see and we are entitled to our opinons
Nov 18th 2015
no rap or cussing obviously
Nov 16th 2015
Shit. Goddamn. Get off your ass and jam!
Nov 17th 2015
Nov 17th 2015

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 12:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "only one: stop fucking a good song with a corny rap!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 07:35 AM

2. "^ this. less phoned in rap features and more R&b duets please"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Nov-13-15 07:35 AM by Hellyeah

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 08:04 AM

3. "RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

mostly the same thing I would change with rap , THE LYRICS

dude

Ron
Member since Dec 29th 2008
207 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:34 PM

4. "RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-13-15 02:35 PM by Ron

1)Less Chris Brown

1a)Less rap

1b)Less sex

1c)Less club records

2)Better songwriting

2a)Broader subject matter

3)More singers that came up in the church choir

3a)More bands that came up in the church or the jook junt or both

I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 11:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Some Of These Notes Are On Point But Is Being Done"
In response to Reply # 4

>1)Less Chris Brown
Yeah, less crossover of two & more collaborations of r&b artists on everybody's songs, don't need Mary J., Chris Brown, Akon, Trey Songz, R.Kelly guest appearing on everybody's songs to help them get a hit, yeah it works when rappers do it but I think that is the problem with rap & r&b, it's being over done.

> 1a)Less rap
Agreed, also less rap from the r&b artists too, so what you can "sang & rap" but they wasn't signed as a rapper but a (possible good) singer.

> 1b)Less sex
I think r&b has ran it's course of writing wider lyrics (in their minds) and their topics hasn't got wider but smaller and sticking to love & sexy songs is all they know these days which is sad cause I'm tired of that and the typical rap topic (I grew up in the hood and had it hard), that's tired in both genres.

> 1c)Less club records
Less upbeat trap songs yeah, more edm club songs yes but I wish it was with real house artists not trance/dubstep producers though.

>2)Better songwriting
I think that's a big problem too, now it's who's wrote the hottest hit in the past year, then they get them to write or help write a song but sometimes it's about just plain ol' good songwriting which is lacking in r&b for mad years.

> 2a)Broader subject matter
This is the same thing I mentioned in the answer to "less sex" songs

>3)More singers that came up in the church choir
That could be good or bad but I see that now that gospel artists are doing the contemporary music and getting famous & hits off it that they don't feel like they have to switch over to r&b but stay in their lane, Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary, The Winans, & Deitrick Hadden proved that you can be you in the church and get hits & album sales.

>3a)More bands that came up in the church or the jook joint or
>both
Once again, gospel has been supporting their artists, and also if you haven't noticed gospel & christian musicians are getting paid, playing tons of shows, and usually can be part of a tour band for r&b & rap artists anytime they want even when studio r&b acts don't seem to employ them on songs though. I remember when beat/production producers like Rodney Jerkins aka Darkchild and Tim & Bob who have done both genres and done great jobs holding it down but they been moved over by these new computer hip-hop producers now for r&b while the old school producers like Teddy Riley seem to be following the new kats and instead of getting into real instrumentation.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:51 PM

5. "RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

One thing I'd change is the cussing. cuss sangin' is usually really counterproductive.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 10:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Agreed, Being Hood Or Street Isn't Attractive"
In response to Reply # 5

I like that some want to be that hood r&b artist cause they might be but r&b artist can't be rappers is why I don't listen to it much anymore, when they was doing the neo-soul route I was digging it but then that became passe and they had to up the ante by be the BadBoy r&b artists or the Akon/Lyfe crap (that's a gimmick way over done and should be frown upon now).

And so what if Millie Jackson was one of the first or that raunchy blues/southern soul has a big following/niche, it's them and is not liked by most r&b listeners for being for old folks and silly.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Street Poet
Member since Jun 07th 2002
662 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:01 PM

6. "RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

1. bring back groups and bands

2. embrace more experimental r&b artist

3. Put the soul back into the music. Mainstream R&B sounds more like a hip hop derivative.

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:23 PM

7. "RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

-no more autotune
-live bass
-more promo from record companies

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

justin_scott
Charter member
19868 posts
Sun Nov-15-15 10:53 AM

8. "no more R Kelly, Chris Brown type of singers"
In response to Reply # 0

way less rap verses or influence. more live music

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 02:15 PM

14. "lets see and we are entitled to our opinons"
In response to Reply # 8

R.Kelly can write, produce and sing and proved that in a more compeptitive era of R&B hench why he still has a career til this day.

as for C Breezy the industry always wants a new Michael Jackson,etc,, chris is a marginal talent and i agree on him, though he has a couple of decent tracks. if his voice matched his feet than he would be fire indeed.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16840 posts
Mon Nov-16-15 06:45 PM

9. "no rap or cussing obviously"
In response to Reply # 0

- more melody

- real instrumentation

- bridges

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 01:46 PM

10. "Shit. Goddamn. Get off your ass and jam!"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't know cussing in soul music was such an issue.

If it's good, I don't care personally.

https://digife.com

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "RE: what are 3 things you would change about R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

1. More melody

2a. Less/no more Hip-Hop rhythms mixed up with R&B

2b. Innovate some new rhythms that are purely R&B

3. Develop some type of forum for competition among singers, writers and players. Be it a bunch of local scenes or a national scene, whatever.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2950037 Previous topic | Next topic