Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2947038

Subject: " 18 Underrated ‘90s Hip-Hop Albums You’ve Likely Forgotten " Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 08:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" 18 Underrated ‘90s Hip-Hop Albums You’ve Likely Forgotten "

The Low End Theory. Illmatic. The Chronic. Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers. Fear of a Black Planet.Doggystyle. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. Ready to Die. The list of indisputably brilliant early to mid ‘90s hip-hop long players may not be an extensive one, but it’s still an awe-inspiring one nonetheless. All of the aforementioned albums enjoyed considerable critical and commercial acclaim, and are universally revered as prime specimens of the hip-hop long form. Must-own masterpieces, in other words. Quintessential compositions that define the latter half of hip-hop’s so-called golden age. Or as music critic Tony Green has referred to the period, hip-hop’s “second golden age.”
There are also a handful of albums that most critics and fans alike typically consider second-tier classics. Mecca and the Soul Brother. De La Soul is Dead. Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde. One For All. 93 ‘Til Infinity. Daily Operation.Midnight Marauders. Enta Da Stage. While not as critically untouchable as the top-tier, these LPs are still regarded as some of the best the genre has ever produced.

Then there are a handful of “sleeper” albums that wouldn’t necessarily be classified as underground, but never transcended beyond a few spins here and there on late-night specialty DJ radio shows, a few plays of their lone singles on Yo! MTV Raps or Rap City, and the obligatory 3 or 3.5 mic reviews in The Source. Let’s call this the peripheral tier, comprised of the albums that faded into relative obscurity within a year or two of their release (or even sooner, in some cases), only to be dusted off periodically by the most devoted of hip-hop heads.

But while the upper echelon of decades-old hip-hop joints continue to be lovingly reissued on limited edition colored double-vinyl with 3-D album artwork, there are a number of albums that warrant reevaluation and celebration. The following list – while not exhaustive by any stretch of the imagination – revisits the 18 unsung albums that most immediately come to mind for me.
Granted, this list could have been much, much more expansive, as there are easily fifty or more albums that qualify for the “underappreciated” tag. So to narrow the list down, I’ve chosen only albums by artists who haven’t been heard from recently, say in at least the past five to ten years. With a few exceptions, most of these albums never even remotely scratched the surface of the Billboard charts and are the only albums the respective artists ever released. Hence why you won’t find albums like Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs’ Life of a Kid in the Ghetto (1991), Showbiz & A.G.’s Runaway Slave (1992), or Group Home’s Livin’ Proof (1995), as each of these artists have popped up on records here and there over the years.

As with pretty much every list you’ll ever come across, the selections here are not exempt from subjectivity and certainly reflect your author’s personal biases. So if you disagree with any of these choices or happen to discern any albums that are omitted from the list, let us know in the comments section below!

http://www.soulhead.com/2015/10/12/longplaylove-18-underrated-90s-hip-hop-albums-youve-likely-forgotten-by-justin-chadwick/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I own 13/18
Oct 12th 2015
I've read that Center of Attention was never released but
Oct 12th 2015
14 out of 18
Oct 12th 2015
That Twinz album was my shit!
Oct 12th 2015
RE: That Twinz album was my shit!
Oct 12th 2015
Good Times!
Oct 12th 2015
4/18
Oct 12th 2015
17/18
Oct 12th 2015
INI, Saafir, Mood, and Mic Geronimo are all that I have
Oct 12th 2015
Question about the INI album
Oct 12th 2015
It's a photo of a very young Haile Selassie
Oct 12th 2015
      Ethiopia not Egypt.
Oct 12th 2015
           Meant Ethiopa. Don't know why I wrote Egypt.
Oct 13th 2015
I only own Mic Geronimo's first album.
Oct 12th 2015
RE: 18 Underrated ‘90s Hip-Hop Albums You’ve Likely Forgotten
Oct 12th 2015
Dope list! Dope they recognized Ray Luv.
Oct 12th 2015
RE: Do love the B.U.M.s album.
Oct 12th 2015
16/18.....not bad
Oct 13th 2015
I'm mad at the "2nd tier" list.
Oct 14th 2015

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 08:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I own 13/18"
In response to Reply # 0

Good list. World Renown and INI never officially came out though right? I thought those were shelved albums.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:26 AM

3. "I've read that Center of Attention was never released but"
In response to Reply # 1

This was obviously pressed at some point

http://s21.postimg.org/efiv7jkx3/image.jpg

They have said that the Pete Rock pressing with iNi and Deda was not the official version and was resequenced and missing interludes.

I would love to get the official release with official cover art. I'd pay good money for that. One of my favorite albums ever.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:07 AM

2. "14 out of 18"
In response to Reply # 0

Izm & Blues is one of my favorite CDs ever

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:42 AM

4. "That Twinz album was my shit!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-12-15 10:42 AM by Anonymous

And my version of The Natural without the skits is classic!

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:45 AM

5. "RE: That Twinz album was my shit!"
In response to Reply # 4

>And my version of The Natural without the skits is classic!

Haha! Yeah those skits were annoying as hell on Mic's album.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 08:08 PM

16. "Good Times!"
In response to Reply # 4

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "4/18"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-12-15 10:54 AM by LeroyBumpkin

boogie monsters
the nonce
INI (which I'm surprised was on this list)
da king & I

Don't have any of the others.

https://digife.com

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "17/18"
In response to Reply # 0

Only one I don't have now is the Ray Luv album.

Of the 16 that were commercially available, I bought 10 of them when they dropped.

Props to Justin for showing some Bay Love with this list. Good to see Saafir and The B.U.M.S. on the list.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 11:42 AM

8. "INI, Saafir, Mood, and Mic Geronimo are all that I have"
In response to Reply # 0

From the descriptions some sound like something I'd like...
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 04:48 PM

9. "Question about the INI album "
In response to Reply # 0

What's the source/context behind the cover?

mrhood75
44717 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "It's a photo of a very young Haile Selassie"
In response to Reply # 9

The former Emperor of Egypt aka His Imperial Majesty (H.I.M.) who is revered as the Messiah for those who follow Rastafarian faith/movement.

The name I-N-I, comes from the term of a the same name (or I-and-I) that is central to the Rastafarian philosophy. It has to do with the expression of self.

I'm sure I'm butchering some/many of the concepts here, but that's the layman explanation/background.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 07:33 PM

13. "Ethiopia not Egypt."
In response to Reply # 10

mrhood75
44717 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 12:38 AM

17. "Meant Ethiopa. Don't know why I wrote Egypt. "
In response to Reply # 13

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 06:03 PM

11. "I only own Mic Geronimo's first album."
In response to Reply # 0

Bought it on the strength of Masta IC. It was decent for its time.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 06:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: 18 Underrated ‘90s Hip-Hop Albums You’ve Likely Forgotten "
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=92068&mesg_id=92068&listing_type=search

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 07:36 PM

14. "Dope list! Dope they recognized Ray Luv."
In response to Reply # 0

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 07:39 PM

15. "RE: Do love the B.U.M.s album."
In response to Reply # 0

"1) God doesn't exist

2) And anyhow he's stupid"
—Philip K. Dick

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 08:26 PM

18. "16/18.....not bad"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-13-15 08:33 PM by I. Motion

But that'll be rectified soon enough.....

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 05:20 AM

19. "I'm mad at the "2nd tier" list."
In response to Reply # 0

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx?
Midnight Marauders?
Mecca and the Soul Brother?
Daily Operation??

wow..

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Lobby The Lesson topic #2947038 Previous topic | Next topic