Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2945455

Subject: "Brand Nubian" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Sep-25-15 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Brand Nubian"

After doing some research for my 90 for 90 mix, I saw a lot of their songs mentioned, and I finally listened to "One for all." I feel like I hadn't heard but 2-3 songs on here before this year..."Slow down" is really the only one I heard growing up. I remember when they dropped "Don't let it go to your head," which was a great way to bridge that Jiggy gap with their true style..and of course I remember Puba being solo in 95.

What was the overall deal with them? How was this album received back in 1990? I almost like it more than Tribe's debut, and I surely enjoy it more than 3 ft High (which I've talked about before). What reasons did they break up, and did the break up hurt their legacy to where this album doesn't get mentioned as much as it should?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sep 25th 2015
5 mics aint too shabby
Sep 25th 2015
RE: Brand Nubian
Sep 25th 2015
Some answers:
Sep 25th 2015
very well received...one of my favorite albums.
Sep 29th 2015
first solo was so so...but 2000 was RETARDED GOOD!
Sep 29th 2015
Two of my brothers were their dancers
Sep 29th 2015
Man, people really don't like Puba's first solo album?
Sep 29th 2015
RE: Man, people really don't like Puba's first solo album?
Sep 29th 2015
Daaamn. You are correct. I was thinking about 2000.
Sep 29th 2015
I think it's also partially due to bad timing,
Sep 30th 2015
I don't get that at all, love Puba's solo more than In God We Trust
Sep 30th 2015
it was good but not nearly as good as "One for All"...
Oct 01st 2015
it was ok.
Oct 01st 2015
It's lazy. Everything about it is lazy. I wanted him to go for that
Oct 01st 2015
as a HUGE Puba fan
Oct 02nd 2015
I loved that LP but 2000 was a fantastic update on the sound n/m
Oct 02nd 2015
Sep 29th 2015
Man we were rockin them african jawnts like we had on 24k Cuban links
Sep 29th 2015
Sep 29th 2015
never stopped listening to One For All
Sep 29th 2015
Foundation is one of the most slept on albums ever to me
Oct 01st 2015
They could have left a couple joints off but it was a really good album
Oct 01st 2015
absolutely. that joint got alot of rotation. wasnt perfect but damn good...
Oct 02nd 2015
i agree. those are the joints i would scratch
Oct 02nd 2015
RE: Foundation is one of the most slept on albums ever to me
Oct 02nd 2015
it's my fave Brand Nubian LP
Oct 02nd 2015
Oct 02nd 2015
PEACE FOR THIS POST
Oct 02nd 2015
another fresh joint from Foundation
Oct 02nd 2015
RE: another fresh joint from Foundation
Oct 03rd 2015

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Fri Sep-25-15 01:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "....."
In response to Reply # 0

Q: How was this album received back in 1990?

It was recieved well. Cats can correct me but on the East Coast folks were eatin it up. In the Bay if you were into groups like Capital Tax, Freestyle Fellowship, Jungle Bros. De La, Tribe, PE, Cube's solo ish good chance you had this in your collection.

Bonus: Instead of boho, folks back in the days were called Nubian in the Bay. Maybe them coming out is y that name is.

A: What reasons did they break up, and did the break up hurt their legacy to where this album doesn't get mentioned as much as it should?

I think Puba talked some smack at a party or show or something like that. When Puba first left folks thought it might hurt the legacy but after In God We Trust came out, showing they did just fine without him....nah din't hurt their legacy.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Sep-25-15 01:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "5 mics aint too shabby"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-25-15 01:47 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Sep-25-15 01:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Brand Nubian"
In response to Reply # 0

It was well received.

I think because so much of it is so intertwined with 5% philosophy and terminology, it didn't get much burn on the west coast outside of straight up Hip Hop circles and mobile DJs.. Definitely didn't get radio play on commercial radio out here. I remember a lot of "houser" or "new school" Hip Hop dancers (new bboys) would dance to beats like All For One.

My personal favorite track was Who Can Get Busy Like This Man.

I know it was released in 1990, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pick this up until after the fact.. Possibly in 91 or 92 on tape.

Dante Ross/Elektra Records was hitting back in those years.. They really could do no wrong in terms of Hip Hop: Brand Nubian, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Leaders of the New School, KMD. Between Elektra and Jive Records, there were so many great albums released in the early 90's.

As far as Brand Nubian breaking up.. I really wasn't aware too much about that.. other than the fact Puba went solo I think in '92. When "In God We Trust" came out a little after that, I kinda tuned out other than "Punks Jump Up.." which was a good song no doubt.. but signaled to me a more hardcore..rugged sound not just in the group but in east coast Hip Hop in general (to me anyway)..

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Fri Sep-25-15 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Some answers:"
In response to Reply # 0

>What was the overall deal with them?

Puba was from a group called Masters of Ceremony. They had some singles in the mid and late '80s ("Cracked Out", "Dynamite," etc.). He also was loosely affiliated with First Priority, and did some production on MC Lyte's second album (*I Am the Lyte" and "Funky Song"). Sadat X (then Derek X) and Lord Jamar were, I believe, solo MCs in the beginning. They linked up and formed the group.

>How was this album received back in 1990?

Well. It was one of the few the albums the received 5 Mics from the o.g. Source Mind Squad. The video for "Wake Up" was directed by Fab 5 Freddy and got decent play on Yo! TV Raps, before it had to get re-edited due to "controversy".

It's also considered one of the heaviest bootleged albums of all-time. I've heard all three of the maintain that it would have at least gone Gold if not for the bootlegging, and most say it probably went Gold anyway, but the label faked on them.

>What reasons did they break up?

Well, Puba was at his core a solo MC. And the word was that he thought he was bigger than group. But, moreover, he got the most shine from the album, and wanted to pursue a career as a solo MC.

>Did the break up hurt their legacy to where this album doesn't
>get mentioned as much as it should?

Eh, I don't think so. Especially considering how acclaimed "In Gods We Trust" is/was. That was their first post-Puba album, and it's pretty universally loved (though I never loved it ***quite*** as much as some). But I think after that album, their third didn't get a lot of success (even though I personally love it). And while the reunion album was critically acclaimed as well, I don't think it moved a lot of units during a time when jiggy shit was blowing up.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 10:35 AM

5. "very well received...one of my favorite albums. "
In response to Reply # 0

I was a huge puba fan and Sadat X grew with each album.

from what I heard it as always understood that Puba would go solo. Probably the biggest mistake of his career. His solo album was a huge disappointment.

Brand Nubians next Album was really good. Love Me or Leave Me Alone and Punks Jump Up were the stand out tracks from that album.

I think if they stayed together they could have been on the level right below PE. Their chemistry was amazing

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 01:12 PM

7. "first solo was so so...but 2000 was RETARDED GOOD! "
In response to Reply # 5

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 12:47 PM

6. "Two of my brothers were their dancers"
In response to Reply # 0

That first album was a hip hop dancer's paradise. To the left is forever my anthem to just get busy. That album was loved almost instantly. Puba was the man back then. He was all over the place so I understand him wanting to go solo. I don't understand that solo debut though. Just weak overall. If you think about it all three had distinct styles and flows. They all added something. I'm glad they are still brothers and tour together.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 01:38 PM

8. "Man, people really don't like Puba's first solo album?"
In response to Reply # 0

I can understand someone saying they preferred "Gods Must Be Crazy" to it (though I don't think I'd agree), but flat out not liking it? Puba's lyricism? Puba and SD50 production?

The album had:

Check the Resume
That's How We Move It
Check it Out
Big Kids Don't Play
Lickshot
You Know How It Goes
Reel to Reel
Back It Up

And the two "knowledge" tracks were solid enough. And the "Mind Your Business" b-side was flames.

Yeah, I don't get the lack of love.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 01:51 PM

9. "RE: Man, people really don't like Puba's first solo album?"
In response to Reply # 8

Nope. I got it because the older heads swore by it. Might be four cuts on there but other than that, nah. I dig 2000 though.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 06:45 PM

10. "Daaamn. You are correct. I was thinking about 2000. "
In response to Reply # 8

Reel to Reel was a solid solo album.

2000 was a let down.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

onthat
Member since Aug 19th 2006
807 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 04:51 PM

15. "I think it's also partially due to bad timing, "
In response to Reply # 8

The Chronic came out around the same time, I remember buying both with Christmas money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKrdlsHVmg

soulsupreme
Member since Dec 14th 2004
8536 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 07:58 PM

16. "I don't get that at all, love Puba's solo more than In God We Trust"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Sep-30-15 08:00 PM by soulsupreme

Reel To Reel is a great album.

Dam-Funk - Invite the Light
Scarface - Deeply Rooted

"This is your world. Shape it or someone else will." - Gary Lew

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "it was good but not nearly as good as "One for All"..."
In response to Reply # 8

....hence the disappointment ..a lot of people were like "he left brand nubian to do THIS??" ..but dont get it wrong, "360" had people expecting greatness before the LP too

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:35 AM

18. "it was ok."
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Oct-01-15 09:48 AM by tariqhu

I did look forward to his 2nd album. that was a huge let down.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 03:15 PM

20. "It's lazy. Everything about it is lazy. I wanted him to go for that "
In response to Reply # 8

>I can understand someone saying they preferred "Gods Must Be
>Crazy" to it (though I don't think I'd agree), but flat out
>not liking it? Puba's lyricism? Puba and SD50 production?
>
>The album had:
>
>Check the Resume
>360
>That's How We Move It
>Check it Out
>Big Kids Don't Play
>Lickshot
>You Know How It Goes
>Reel to Reel
>Back It Up
>
>And the two "knowledge" tracks were solid enough. And the
>"Mind Your Business" b-side was flames.
>
>Yeah, I don't get the lack of love.

"greatest rapper alive" crown, instead he dropped some cool, fun, nondescript type joints. There's a good 7-8 songs on there with interchangeable verses.

esb225
Member since Nov 12th 2003
41415 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:04 PM

22. "as a HUGE Puba fan "
In response to Reply # 8

I was hurt by the lack of effort he put into that album

no real beats... rhymes were lazy at best he just didn't bring his A game

I got a good life man

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:44 PM

27. "I loved that LP but 2000 was a fantastic update on the sound n/m"
In response to Reply # 8

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 06:55 PM

11. "RE: Brand Nubian"
In response to Reply # 0

If you were on the East Coast when the One for All Album dropped thats really all you heard for a while.. that record was HUGE....

It dropped at the height of the leather african medallions era...

So you had Brand Nubian, tribe, jungle, x clan... de la ...

not necessarily in that order..

as far as i remember it.. by the time the album dropped puba was already on the way out of brand nubian... something about that dude... seemed like he was using groups to jumpstart his Solo career.

Masters of Ceremony then Brand Nubian...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 08:18 PM

14. "Man we were rockin them african jawnts like we had on 24k Cuban links"
In response to Reply # 11

Shit was real serious. And you are correct BN was in rotation right along with the other groups u named.

>
>It dropped at the height of the leather african medallions
>era...
>
>So you had Brand Nubian, tribe, jungle, x clan... de la ...
>
>not necessarily in that order..
>

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 06:56 PM

12. "RE: Brand Nubian"
In response to Reply # 0

Dont let it go to your head was not originally on the album.. not on the copies that I had... i think that was added later...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 08:02 PM

13. "never stopped listening to One For All"
In response to Reply # 0

Puba was my favorite MC for a moment - Reel to Reel is effortless

Sadat X is uncanny and still active - My favorite right now along w/ Dave Plug 3

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:30 AM

19. "Foundation is one of the most slept on albums ever to me"
In response to Reply # 0

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:09 PM

21. "They could have left a couple joints off but it was a really good album"
In response to Reply # 19

>.

We didn't need "Let's Dance". I like "Get Your Back Up Off The Wall" though. "Too Late" should have been a straight R&B cut without Brand Nubian. I liked the concept behind "Sincerely", but it's a little too moist for me.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:31 PM

24. "absolutely. that joint got alot of rotation. wasnt perfect but damn good..."
In response to Reply # 21

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 01:22 PM

25. "i agree. those are the joints i would scratch"
In response to Reply # 21

the strong cuts make up for it. and the album still flows well imo.
classic late 90s album to me.

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:12 PM

23. "RE: Foundation is one of the most slept on albums ever to me"

I gotta go back to this one. I remember more than a few skippers on that album. Plus I dig Brand Nubian more without Puba.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:45 PM

28. "it's my fave Brand Nubian LP"

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:42 PM

26. "RE: Brand Nubian"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-02-15 06:44 PM by Mash_Comp

>What was the overall deal with them? How was this album
>received back in 1990? I almost like it more than Tribe's
>debut, and I surely enjoy it more than 3 ft High (which I've
>talked about before). What reasons did they break up, and did
>the break up hurt their legacy to where this album doesn't get
>mentioned as much as it should?

Brand Nubian is the reason I'm a "Five-Percenter" now. Their debut single, "Feel So Good," was such a departure from what was to come. Grand Puba (Maxwell) was already kind of a known figure as part of the Masters of Ceremony crew. He was also one of those rappers kind of ahead of the game as far as flow and patterns.

I was 16-17 when they came out so it was a really formative time for me. Growing up in D.C., I was one of the very few Hip-Hop heads in the city. The single was unlike anything a lot of us heard. I was already a Puba fan but the blend of his voice next to Sadat (then Derek) X's gravelly delivery and Lord Jamar's (then Jamal) smooth bars was just amazing to me.

The group was always Puba's brainchild and I think Puba began to realize he was the "star" of the group or at least wanted to be. I never really got the full science on why they broke up but it was always aimed that Puba/Hagi stood out.

The breakup hurt nothing. The releasing of shitty material under the name did. But people really slept on their 1998 reunion LP, Foundation.

The last two LPs had a couple joints on it but Sadat was the only one who kind of updated his formula.

But because of the greatness of One For All, and the post-Puba LPs, they're good. But that reunion LP is the best one of their releases to me.

One of my fave joints off Foundation produced by Lord Finesse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gEkMOma-zU

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:47 PM

29. "PEACE FOR THIS POST"
In response to Reply # 0

I just made a Brand Nubian playlist. My Friday is lit.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:50 PM

30. "another fresh joint from Foundation"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgF9LduL3y4

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 04:24 PM

31. "RE: another fresh joint from Foundation"
In response to Reply # 30

Legendary crew, fresh track indeed….

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2945455 Previous topic | Next topic