Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2922700

Subject: "how far are we from corporations finally taming the internet?" Previous topic | Next topic
Voletta Wallace
Member since Feb 28th 2006
137 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how far are we from corporations finally taming the internet?"
Sat Mar-07-15 02:53 PM by Voletta Wallace

you might recall some 5 years ago i suggested that there was going to be scads of "lost" music from the 00's.

mixtapes, singles, etc.

due to lack of hard copy + lack of interest to retain any of it once time cooled off the buzz it had when it was new.

my prediction was all that would be left of a lot of music online was a dead zshare link.

in the early 10's the american entertainment industry successfully killed most if not all file locker sites which had allowed for ease of access sharing of generally every album ever made.

the internet is riddled with abandoned blogs housing dead links from 2008/2009/2010.

most of these albums are not able to be found any where else.

p2p? forget it.
totally unreliable for a ton of music being freely shared.
torrent? same as p2p. dead torrents galore with added risk of getting a $10K fine or something.

and streaming online? foh.

new stuff: sure you can grab it when it drops - but archives?
even archives of stuff a few years old? nope.

and when we start talking about more off-brand stuff from the 00's/90's or earlier?

unless you know somebody with a huge 0day FTP/archive and got a password -- people aren't sharing for free like that any more.

in another 5-10 years, how we remember the internet of the late 90s to the early 10's will be no more.

...it already is now actually.

the full taming of the wild west.

already starting to look like bodie, california.

i wish i had saved more to HD.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this has nothing to do with corporations
Mar 07th 2015
Or Nah.
Mar 07th 2015

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 04:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this has nothing to do with corporations"
In response to Reply # 0

this has everything to do with indie acts who couldn't afford CD pressings having digital links without the foresight to know these sites would be shut down one day. also indie labels with limited CD distribution that folded

I can still find almost any popular act's albums from back in the day, because of the greater demand for this work

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 09:23 PM

2. "Or Nah."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-07-15 09:24 PM by Madvillain 626

There are still file sites that I've used in the last month such as Zippyshare, Mega, and Mediafire (not as dope as it was years ago but you can share a link quickly with it)

Sites like thepiratebay are sketchy (though I've never caught a cease and desist) but private tracker sites (especially those for movies) are flourishing.

i can still find any music i need on soulseek. yeah it's old, but if it aint broke...

Dropbox is the shit too. I post on another board that has a shared 1TB dropbox for all types of...nah, lemme chill.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Lobby The Lesson topic #2922700 Previous topic | Next topic