Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2912233

Subject: "Black music doesn't need a savior " Previous topic | Next topic
OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 01:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black music doesn't need a savior "

It's needs more young talented acts who approach the business as professionals.

And when I say 'black music' now days I'm making no reference to race.. that ship has long sailed.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I *am* making reference to race.
Dec 12th 2014
Who said I was just talking about white acts?
Dec 12th 2014
I originally typed, 'white, Asian, or other...'
Dec 12th 2014
      I like this
Dec 12th 2014
      Wut????
Dec 13th 2014
           (placeholder)
Dec 13th 2014
Really though we're talking 2 different things
Dec 12th 2014
Always.
Dec 12th 2014
That being said:
Dec 12th 2014
      Don't think one has much impact on the other
Dec 12th 2014
           I'm not talking about message records.
Dec 12th 2014
                Don't have time to continue this today but I'd like to hear more about t...
Dec 12th 2014
                     No doubt.
Dec 12th 2014
                     my take
Dec 13th 2014
i often disagree with this argument.
Dec 12th 2014
      I didn't say it was genetic... I talked about *community*
Dec 12th 2014
           yeah.
Dec 12th 2014
what's up man.... hope all is good with you....n/m
Dec 12th 2014
Things are great thanks
Dec 12th 2014
but to your post...I agree...
Dec 12th 2014
So much has changed just in the time I've been away from here
Dec 12th 2014
shol dont and wb
Dec 12th 2014
I agree
Dec 12th 2014
Yep
Dec 12th 2014
man....
Dec 12th 2014
Have to stop looking to the god of the oppressor first
Dec 12th 2014
RE: Have to stop looking to the god of the oppressor first
Dec 12th 2014
save your self (c) ....
Dec 12th 2014
      white peoples opinion
Dec 13th 2014
           fair enough
Dec 13th 2014
                RE: fair enough
Dec 13th 2014
                     oh nah i know all that already
Dec 13th 2014
                     RE: fair enough
Dec 14th 2014
It needs greater acceptance of broader expressions of the black conditio...
Dec 12th 2014
like-wise for terrence shider.
Dec 12th 2014
      nothing says black like maroon 5 covers and street fighter themes
Dec 12th 2014
           or monk, or jelly roll morton, or coltrane...
Dec 12th 2014
                that was the street fighter theme
Dec 12th 2014
Maxx was right Bruno Mars is the closest thing we got.
Dec 12th 2014
Really good to see you around these parts holmes!!!
Dec 12th 2014
Black music doesn't need the music industry
Dec 12th 2014
'Black music doesn't need a REVOLUTION!!!' (c) OP in 1984.
Dec 12th 2014
wack music needs a few
Dec 12th 2014
the concept of a "savior" i.e. means..
Dec 12th 2014
serious, non-snarky question:
Dec 14th 2014
      or setting new ones...
Dec 14th 2014
its good marketing though
Dec 14th 2014
yes it damn does
Dec 14th 2014
IMO it needs respect for its rich pass and also to set a standard
Dec 15th 2014
it doesn't need a Savior...it needs GOD IN PERSON...
Dec 15th 2014
D'Angelo and Theo Parrish released great albums this month
Dec 16th 2014
It needs fewer white nerd critics as gatekeepers.
Dec 16th 2014
There are plenty with talent and potential
Dec 17th 2014

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I *am* making reference to race."
In response to Reply # 0

>And when I say 'black music' now days I'm making no reference
>to race.. that ship has long sailed.

I'm sorry, I have MAD appreciation for all the young white brothers and sisters today making excellent "black" music, but some things have to come from "the source."

It's like Chris Rock said recently of modern civil rights activists vs. MLK and Malcolm etc... The guys today seem like they're staging a revival while MLK was producing an original play.

We need more "original play" and I think it has to come from within the Black community.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Who said I was just talking about white acts?"
In response to Reply # 1

'Black' music today comes in all shades and colors. Bruno doesn't fit into either the white or black camps but when he sets out to make a 'black' record he usually knocks it out the park. Why would I expect anyone to make music that's moving me just based on their race? We're so many generations removed now that a black kid in Philly could be more removed from my music culturally than say a latino or white kid in LA. The talk about this or that being "authentic" is almost always artificial. Give me the music and I'll base my feelings on that and only that.. trying to figure out intentions or motivations is a weird game I have zero interest in.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I originally typed, 'white, Asian, or other...'"
In response to Reply # 2

then I changed it to 'non-black' before settling on "white"

Bottom line: there are certain fundamental aspects of this music that spring from African American culture (and I am not talking about Black African or Caribbean... I mean, American Negro) and I think it's still important to nurture that source so that we don't end up where we ended up with rock.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:39 PM

9. "I like this"
In response to Reply # 4

"I think it's still important to nurture that source"

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 12:15 AM

37. "Wut????"
In response to Reply # 4

and I think it's still important to nurture that source
>so that we don't end up where we ended up with rock.

Please tell me about all these black *rock* artists. Rock is a direct byproduct of the source you are talking about being nurtured from other perspectives. Rock itself wa4s never abandonded; *rock'n'roll* (read:50's R&B) was nurtured and it resulted in soul, funk etc. rock (tm) is really not part of the same lineage but there was never any "abandoning" going on either-just rock'n'roll/R&B being nurtured from two different perspectives...

I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to say with the above quote...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 04:02 PM

43. "(placeholder)"
In response to Reply # 37

I'll answer your question later, Jakob.

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:34 PM

5. "Really though we're talking 2 different things"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm speaking on a style or styles of music whereas you are talking about music that comes out of a community. I can see your points inside that framework but that becomes more social or political.. which clearly has (or should have) a place. Doesn't assure the sounds they produce are going to be appealing to me. Still comes back to the music itself.

Good to 'see' you though man

Peace

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:35 PM

7. "Always."
In response to Reply # 5

>Good to 'see' you though man
>
>Peace

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:03 PM

12. "That being said:"
In response to Reply # 5

>I can see
>your points inside that framework but that becomes more social
>or political.. which clearly has (or should have) a place.
>Doesn't assure the sounds they produce are going to be
>appealing to me. Still comes back to the music itself.

"Black music" at its best has always been political.

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:09 PM

13. "Don't think one has much impact on the other"
In response to Reply # 12

If you can bring it all together hell yeah.. but there are plenty of message records that come up short when compared to those of a more vapid nature.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:12 PM

14. "I'm not talking about message records."
In response to Reply # 13

For instance, Motown steered clear of overt messages and political stances during its colden age, but Motown was still fiercely political.

The Cosby Show never addressed racism, police brutality or any other hot-button political issues, but it was one of the most political expression of black pop culture during the 80s.

Early 80s R&B (or "boogie") was never really saying anything lyrically, but musically it WAS political.

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:07 PM

21. "Don't have time to continue this today but I'd like to hear more about t..."
In response to Reply # 14

"Early 80s R&B (or "boogie") was never really saying anything lyrically, but musically it WAS political."

I'll check back next week

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:09 PM

22. "No doubt."
In response to Reply # 21

I'll be here (and I haven't been much, of late)

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 01:17 AM

38. "my take"
In response to Reply # 21

because I agree with what I *think* KAP Dogg is saying here...

in those eras especially, where a sort of "overt" blackness was suppressed in the mainstream of America (segregationist 1950s, and the 1950s fetishism that ran rampant in the Reagan era), daring to be black w/o looking over your shoulder was the same as raising your closed fist to the sky.

While all "boogie" music then (and especially now) wasn't made by Black people per se, that musical form is certainly "Black", and choosing that path in that era definitely was defiant IMO.

it's kind of like what you've said about being against MTV and "the other side of the radio" back in the '80s...

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:34 PM

19. "i often disagree with this argument. "
In response to Reply # 1

i don't think it's a Black thing that folks back in the day made good Black music.
i always hate reading ppl like Keith Richards talk about their favorite blues artists.

they make it sound as if Black suffering made those guys great,
whereas he had to practice in order to be able to play Black music convincingly.

I feel that had a white child grew up in a Black environment, hearing Black songs,
learning from Black mentors, their sound would be...

well, Black.

i don't think there is something inherent in Black ppl's DNA that creates soul.

well, maybe i should back up.
because being Black DOES put you in a unique situation that
will influence a part of your music. so maybe there's something to the Race element.

but i typically don't like the way ppl say it.
(not that you were saying it in the way i don't like.)

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:52 PM

20. "I didn't say it was genetic... I talked about *community*"
In response to Reply # 19

ie it's social

I actually wanted to say something about how "coming from the community" could also include a white kid who grew up in or near "the hood" but I thought that might be getting ahead of myself.

I'm not suggesting that great Black music is something that emerges spontaneously from Black people just because they're Black... but it's ridiculous to deny that there are distinct social ingredients that make the music from a particular social context what it is.

So yeah... black musicians have to work hard and practice.

The conservatory-trained cellist works hard and practices too... maybe even more than the average Black blues player.

But the average conservatory-trained cellist couldn't play the blues with feeling even if you wrote it down on the sheet music for him. And that has nothing to do with how much he has or hasn't experienced actual suffering in his lifetime.

Joe Corn Mo
15139 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:15 PM

24. "yeah. "
In response to Reply # 20

i agree.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:30 PM

3. "what's up man.... hope all is good with you....n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:36 PM

8. "Things are great thanks"
In response to Reply # 3

Hope everything been cool with you and yours

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:35 PM

6. "but to your post...I agree..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think that the music industry is set up today for a so-called Black music savior...

so I don't think it's possible that could happen..

and yes we do need more young innovative..and talented cats doing things in the game..... there are some out there today, but it would be nice if some could break through into the so-called mainstream so that Black music could have a place higher in popular culture than the current minstrel show, and reality tv fodder it has become today in the mainstream.

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:50 PM

11. "So much has changed just in the time I've been away from here"
In response to Reply # 6

The idea of this or that act being 'mainstream' doesn't even cross my mind any more. More and more people are creating their own 'streams' and rejecting the limited choice methods we all grew up with. You and Kap used to argue a lot about the idea of a modern day 'chitlin circuit'... well over the last couple years I've seen more acts than I can count carve out a living by recording to promote, then going out and working for their check. It's not putting them on the mega star level or anything but then not many in the 'mainstream' are getting paid like that either.. for every Beyonce there are dozens and dozens of signed acts struggling. More and more wise up every day to the fact the old model only benefits the very few at the top.. it's a lot like the rest of this country's economy when you think about it.

rdhull
Charter member
33133 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 02:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "shol dont and wb"
In response to Reply # 0

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:12 PM

15. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 0

>It's needs more young talented acts who approach the business
>as professionals.

a "savior" now is exactly what the industry would want... more pigeonholing

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:15 PM

16. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 15

>a "savior" now is exactly what the industry would want... more
>pigeonholing

Cats are finally figuring out a way to work outside the old model.. a 'savior' is a way to promote and prop up the old ways.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:19 PM

17. "man...."
In response to Reply # 0

black people need a savior

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:11 PM

23. "Have to stop looking to the god of the oppressor first"
In response to Reply # 17

But that's a whole other topic

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 07:17 PM

29. "RE: Have to stop looking to the god of the oppressor first"
In response to Reply # 23

dont know where that came from but

alrighty

phlipout
Member since Nov 11th 2014
309 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 09:50 PM

31. "save your self (c) .... "
In response to Reply # 17

your ERA never low enough

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 08:29 AM

39. "white peoples opinion "
In response to Reply # 31

dont count in such matters

bug off

phlipout
309 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 08:44 AM

40. "fair enough "
In response to Reply # 39

still can't wrap my 6 ounces around god needing a savior tho

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 09:08 AM

41. "RE: fair enough "
In response to Reply # 40
Sat Dec-13-14 09:10 AM by howardlloyd

because you can't understand the lessons

because your paradigm is Eurocentric

and as follows your ontology, epistemology, nature of logic (diunital vs dichotomous) and axiology differ

but u won't understand any of that

so

bug off

phlipout
309 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 09:23 AM

42. "oh nah i know all that already"
In response to Reply # 41
Sat Dec-13-14 09:28 AM by phlipout

man that knows he knows something knows he knows nothing at all

and i already said i couldn't wrap my mind around it before you came with the shaming techniques

i'm late for coffee at the Country Club & gotta get a refill on my depression meds tho so i'll holla lol

said the man from a different species

phlipout
309 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 09:28 AM

44. "RE: fair enough "
In response to Reply # 41

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2912062&mesg_id=2912062&page=#2912495

whiteman musta wrote these liners

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 03:26 PM

18. "It needs greater acceptance of broader expressions of the black conditio..."
In response to Reply # 0

Matana Roberts is one of the most important Black musicians of our time yet remains a virtual unknown in the black community.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

spare_tire
Member since Nov 24th 2014
131 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 10:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "like-wise for terrence shider."
In response to Reply # 18

<--- NEVER FORGET THE 2000's.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 10:12 PM

34. "nothing says black like maroon 5 covers and street fighter themes"
In response to Reply # 32

i think dude is talented mind you. but i digress...

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

spare_tire
131 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 10:17 PM

35. "or monk, or jelly roll morton, or coltrane..."
In response to Reply # 34
Fri Dec-12-14 10:17 PM by spare_tire

or any song he's requested to play on his youtube channel and flawlessly replaying it with his own phrasing from merely one listen on his smartphone.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 10:37 PM

36. "that was the street fighter theme"
In response to Reply # 35

>flawlessly replaying it with his own phrasing from merely one
>listen on his smartphone.

but i'll play along. how is terrence getting down in his local keyboard shop an expression of the black condition?

talented yes. black yes. but translate that to a modern expression of the black condition vis a vis his music not using it to compare and contrast with other black artists.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:50 PM

25. "Maxx was right Bruno Mars is the closest thing we got."
In response to Reply # 0

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:51 PM

26. "Really good to see you around these parts holmes!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-12-14 05:00 PM by revolution75

I agree..black music doesn't need a savior
Black music (soul/r&b) needs to focus on black music
However it's virtually impossible when these acts are forced to dance whatever dance sir nose and the noses (execs) tell them to.

Those days are over and they should be
Yet most of their audience still rely on archaic methods of hearing the music like radio or satellite radio.
There's a new way to do it while respecting the foundation and moving forward.

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 06:42 PM

27. "Black music doesn't need the music industry"
In response to Reply # 0

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 06:45 PM

28. "'Black music doesn't need a REVOLUTION!!!' (c) OP in 1984."
In response to Reply # 0

^^ see what i did there?

fuck you.

phlipout
309 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 09:48 PM

30. "wack music needs a few"
In response to Reply # 0

spare_tire
131 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 10:07 PM

33. "the concept of a "savior" i.e. means.."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-12-14 10:09 PM by spare_tire

someone who makes music and operates abiding to standards which were abandoned by Black musical acts.

i touched on this concept in my "how do we go about re-introducing lost dimensions into Black music" post in 2012:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_mesg&forum=5&topic_id=2686224&mesg_id=2686224&page=

Joe Corn Mo
15139 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 11:26 AM

45. "serious, non-snarky question:"
In response to Reply # 33

but wouldn't you say a savior of music doesn't just "abide" by musical standards?
if they are just abiding by the standards, they can't be a savior.

saviors may come from a TRADITION of the greats,
but they have to break the rules and make new ones.

ie; James Brown. Pharell. MAYBE d'angelo's 2nd album, etc.
(i said maybe D'angelo b/c he is not necessarily an innovator, but he may have been one.)

spare_tire
131 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 11:46 AM

46. "or setting new ones..."
In response to Reply # 45

but there hasn't been a new act in Black music who set new precedents in greatness (in terms of talent) in decades.

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 03:01 PM

47. "its good marketing though"
In response to Reply # 0

and taps into the idea, that is as old as black american music itself, that the bulk of the music is mindless and apolitical and what black music/musicians need to do more of is get mad, get political and Speak About Whats Really Going On. Enter the lone musician willing to take a stand and be different and do what more of his peers should be doing: d'angelo.

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 06:46 PM

48. "yes it damn does "
In response to Reply # 0

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 05:44 AM

49. "IMO it needs respect for its rich pass and also to set a standard"
In response to Reply # 0

you can be mainstream and still have a edge and do your thing.

Michael Jackson took the best of yesteryear and today and made it his own and never stopped aspiring for greatness. you gotta have that attitude and as you said it best stay professional
and also respect the craft, gift and the time and the audience whom embraces you.

the music and its voices prior must always be respected and in time may the same be bestowed unto you as well.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 11:41 PM

50. "it doesn't need a Savior...it needs GOD IN PERSON..."
In response to Reply # 0

Farrakhan said that at a Saviors day years ago..

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:02 AM

51. "D'Angelo and Theo Parrish released great albums this month"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll take that for now.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:05 AM

52. "It needs fewer white nerd critics as gatekeepers. "
In response to Reply # 0

That's really the problem

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 07:52 PM

53. "There are plenty with talent and potential "
In response to Reply # 0

They just need a better support and development structure

dude

Lobby The Lesson topic #2912233 Previous topic | Next topic