Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2909162

Subject: "Like a Virgin/Madonna (soulhead.com)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Wed Nov-12-14 08:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Like a Virgin/Madonna (soulhead.com)"

Happy 30th Birthday to Like a Virgin, Madonna’s 2nd and arguably most iconic LP, originally released November 12, 1984.

Just a young buck of seven years when the album was released, my pop music palette was admittedly rather shallow at the time. Growing at full-speed, mind you, but certainly not as extensive as it would become in the years to follow. But despite my musical naiveté, upon hearing Like a Virgin – both the lead single and album – for the first time, my ears instantly registered that this was pop of a totally different and thrilling breed.

Sure, at its core, it was pop music unabashedly designed to make bodies move and dominate radio playlists. Nothing overly cerebral was on offer here – this was Provocative Pop with a capital “P.” An arousing collection of songs that challenged the listener to contemplate not just Madonna’s overt sexuality on full and glorious display, but also his or her own feelings about sexual freedom, repression and the thin line that often separates the two.

http://www.soulhead.com/2014/11/12/long-play-love-madonnas-like-celebrating-30-years-justin-chadwick

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2909162 Previous topic | Next topic