Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2903360

Subject: "Where does Run the Jewels stack up?" Previous topic | Next topic
Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 11:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Where does Run the Jewels stack up?"

...among hip hop acts in the last 3 years?

Revisiting the RTJ right now after months, as well as the two solo LP's that came before it. In hindsight, it feels like what these two are honing on is so innovative yet feels ok to describe as representative of where hip hop is at, more so than almost any act is I think.

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RTJ is one of the best things in rap music right now
Sep 30th 2014
Agreed
Sep 30th 2014
I like it less than RAP music.
Sep 30th 2014
To be fair
Oct 01st 2014
      understood.
Oct 01st 2014
At the top
Oct 02nd 2014
RE: Where does Run the Jewels stack up?
Oct 02nd 2014

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RTJ is one of the best things in rap music right now"
In response to Reply # 0

No questions asked.
El-P is going fucking nuts with his last few releases.
Killer Mike really got my attention with R.A.P. Music - I'm now a fan.
Beats bang, lyrics are on point. What's not to like?
Oct 27 can't come soon enough.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 11:53 AM

3. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Sep-30-14 11:55 AM by Kosa12

It was my favorite album last year for sure and the best hip hop album of 2013 easily (almost too easily, but like with every year, I'm sure I missed some good shit that I'll be put onto later)

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I like it less than RAP music."
In response to Reply # 0

I had hoped that Mike would stay RAP music topics. and the beats just weren't as dope to me.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 02:28 PM

4. "To be fair"
In response to Reply # 2

They fully went into this project saying it's more bragadocious/gnarly/put-a-pistol-on-the-poodle-and-I-shot-that-bitch type rap then what they usually do solo.
Does it stray from their usual raps? Sometimes. However there's still lots of good verses from them both. (El's verse on "A Christmas Fucking Miracle" is fantastic.)
RTJ is a different beast then solo material. Still dope to me.
I saw on Instagram or Twitter that Mike was working with Alchemist, so I'm sure he's working on a dope solo project. I also believe at one point there was talk of a R.A.P. Music 2, as solo Mike on the vocals and El just doing beats.
They're clearly just meshing well and in a zone, both personally, and the fans are all over it and I'm sure it's a great wave to ride.
Again, I'm sure I'll have zero complaints come October 27.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "understood."
In response to Reply # 4

I may have missed the press about the rtj and its direction. but even beyond that, I just felt like that album wasn't as strong as I was hoping. maybe I'll dig the new one better.

either way I'm a fan of killer make, so I'll get it and RAP 2 if that materializes.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 12:09 AM

6. "At the top"
In response to Reply # 0

To me over the past few years no one has made better Hip Hop than these 2. Funny, interesting with some depth but not taking themselves to seriously. I'm really looking forward to the new shit.

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 12:20 PM

7. "RE: Where does Run the Jewels stack up?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dope but I don't spin the records that much. I think I can only do El P beats but so much.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2903360 Previous topic | Next topic