Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2901340

Subject: "y'all's woman Grimes gettin' all up in the twist lately" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13952 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 03:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"y'all's woman Grimes gettin' all up in the twist lately"

first it was wikipedia and drugs, now it's ALS controversies and fans not liking her new Roc Nation influenced (?) direction.

When an artist get's all gummed up in reacting to fans...........not good........nope.

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-anti-drug-tumblr-wikipedia-amphetamines/

Grimes Pens Anti-Drug Screed Calling Out Editors of Her Wikipedia Page
"Whoever keeps putting the few quotes i said early in my career about drugs back into my wikipedia page is an asshole," singer writes

by Colin Joyce

August 18 2014, 11:16 AM ET

In a 2012 interview with CMJ, Claire Boucher said that Visions, her debut album as Grimes, was made in the midst of an amphetamine-aided haze of sleep and food deprivation, but she doesn't want that to be her legacy. According to Stereogum, a quote from that interview has been added and removed from Grimes' Wikipedia page a number of times since August of 2013, but in a new Tumblr post, Boucher has disavowed hard drugs entirely.

Though she said at the time that she "blacked out the windows and did tons of amphetamines and stayed up for three weeks and didn't eat anything," she now says she wants people to know that she can't stand such substances.

"All they've ever done is kill my friends and cause me to be unproductive," she explains.

Noting that Wikipedia is "a website that people take seriously and reference all the time" she thinks it's "irresponsible" to edit it so that people think she still holds the drugs in high regard.

You can read her whole statement below. For more Grimes, read SPIN's 2012 Q&A with the singer-producer.

"losing people to drugs and alcohol is the worst because they destroy any good memories you have of them before forcing you to deal with the empty space they leave behind. also whoever keeps putting the few quotes i said early in my career about drugs back into my wikipedia page is an asshole. I don't want that to be part of my narrative, and if it has to be I want people to know that i hate hard drugs. All they've ever done is kill my friends and cause me to be unproductive. Editing a website that people take seriously and reference all the time so that it looks like i think amphetamines are cool is incredibly irresponsible, people might read that and think its a cool thing to emulate. I hope you know you are doing the world a disservice. I just watched another person I care deeply about basically turn into gollum and my heart is broken."

-----------

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-scraps-album-rihanna-go-fans-reaction-als/

Grimes Scrapped Her New Album Because Fans Didn't Like 'Go'
Negative response to her ALS protest also left her in tears
By Dan Reilly
September 12 2014, 12:04 PM ET
Any fans of Grimes know that she's a thoughtful, sensitive person. She's written well-reasoned screeds against drugs and sexism, and recently caught a good amount of crap for protesting the ALS Ice Bucket challenge on the grounds that the ALS Association tests on animals, not to mention that she didn't want to waste water during the California drought.

"All these people with AL.S were like, 'You're the worst person ever.' I was crying for days," she revealed in a New York Times Magazine profile. Naturally, her critics didn't seem to register the part where she donated to the Malala Fund, a charity that supports education for girls, instead. These days, that's par for the course when it comes to being a female celebrity with opinions, but Grimes seems like she just can't ignore the idiots out there.

Unfortunately, the negativity out there is also affecting the 26-year-old's music. A few months ago, she released "Go," a track she wrote for Rihanna that was ultimately rejected by the pop star. While many of us enjoyed it (for the record, SPIN included "Go" on our list of the 57 Best Songs of 2014 So Far), a vocal contingent of Grimes fans apparently let her know they weren't happy about this change in direction. "It upsets a lot of my fans, and I get why it upsets them. Everybody was like, 'Oh, Grimes is pandering to the radio,'" she said.
This reaction led Grimes to scrap her entire follow-up to the 2012 breakout, Visions.

"It sucked, so I threw it out and started again," she said. She seems happy with the decision, saying, "I'm just making way more music," and we hope it comes from a place of confidence instead of insecurity. Still, we have to wonder if signing to Jay Z's Roc Nation hasn't ramped up the pressure to deliver a grander sound now that she's experienced fame. Fingers crossed she makes the album she truly wants to make, and learns to tune out the bullshit.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You can't have it both ways man.
Sep 12th 2014
RE: You can't have it both ways man.
Sep 12th 2014
i just hope she never does a song like Go again
Sep 12th 2014
NY Times Magazine 9/12/14 article on Grimes link
Sep 13th 2014
Grimes "REALiTi" pop stuff off the "scrapped" 2014 album
Mar 09th 2015
REALiTi
Mar 16th 2015
Grimes after Grimes after Grimes after Grimes....I can't control the Gri...
Mar 14th 2015
Oblivion will forever be my shit, don't know anything else about her
Mar 16th 2015
Grimes once more............
Mar 16th 2015
wow, this is terrible
Mar 17th 2015
Shifty - low down gritty and GRIMYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
Aug 27th 2015
Grimes needs to not give anymore fucks.....
Aug 27th 2015
Rhinestone Grimes-girl
Sep 14th 2015
Grimes Names New Album ‘Art Angels,’ Posts Cover Art - Spin swipe
Oct 19th 2015
New Grimes live on stage
Oct 26th 2015
"Flesh without blood/Life in the vivid dream" video
Oct 26th 2015
Grimes - "scream"
Oct 30th 2015
Overture (link)
Nov 04th 2015
Watch Grimes rock a crowd
Nov 05th 2015
RE: This album.
Nov 08th 2015
RE: This album.
Nov 08th 2015
      RE: I hate it too.
Nov 08th 2015
           RE: I hate it too.
Nov 09th 2015
                RE: I think it's highlights are better than Visions' highlights.
Nov 09th 2015
Grimes: The Triumph of a Self-Made Oddball - Rolling Stone swipe
Nov 09th 2015
very dope.
Nov 13th 2015
"and just when you thought Grimes couldn't get better......."
Apr 12th 2016
Hana
Apr 18th 2016
      thanks. This post has been a journey
Apr 19th 2016
Grimes ain't going nowhere - Grimes can't be stopped, cause it's
Apr 20th 2016
Grimes - ology 1
Oct 06th 2016
Who can watch this much bad white girl dancing?
Oct 06th 2016

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 07:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You can't have it both ways man."
In response to Reply # 0

Just like Wale going crazy or Sia trying to make pop hits without showing her face.

If you gonna go for the big bucks (and you have to be if you sign to Roc Nation management right?) then you gonna get some hate for it. That's just part of the biz, either ignore it or use it for fuel.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

c71
13952 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 07:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: You can't have it both ways man."
In response to Reply # 1

>If you gonna go for the big bucks (and you have to be if you
>sign to Roc Nation management right?) then you gonna get some
>hate for it. That's just part of the biz, either ignore it or
>use it for fuel.
>
>

Hope she can do it, but all this strife is................uhhhhhh....

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i just hope she never does a song like Go again"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

c71
13952 posts
Sat Sep-13-14 05:05 PM

4. "NY Times Magazine 9/12/14 article on Grimes link"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/magazine/why-everyone-should-be-waiting-for-grimess-next-album.html?_r=0

Why Everyone Should Be Waiting for Grimes’s Next Album

By CARRIE BATTANSEPT. 12, 2014

Earlier this year, Claire Boucher, the 26-year-old Canadian musician known as Grimes, briefly dabbled in the world of Billboard-chart pop. She wrote a song for Rihanna. After that, she went to a group songwriting boot camp, as she entertained the idea of receding from the intensifying spotlight she’d earned as an electro-pop phenom. “I thought, Oh, I don’t want to be a front person,” she says. “I want to write.”

In many ways, the experiment was a failure — Rihanna did not put the song on her album, and when Boucher recorded her own version, it was met with frustration. “It upsets a lot of my fans, and I get why it upsets them,” says Boucher of the big, booming track. “Everybody was like, ‘Oh, Grimes is pandering to the radio.’ ” But the failure, ultimately, was a productive one. By that point, she had already begun to hate the album she was working on: the would-be follow-up to the widely acclaimed “Visions,” from 2012. That album was lauded for seamlessly blending sugary pop melodies with a D.I.Y. aesthetic. The new one? “It sucked,” Boucher says, “so I threw it out and started again.”

“I’d been in Vancouver, very reclusive, not seeing anyone . . . kind of stewing by myself,” she says. “That’s always worked for me in the past.” Now, with heightened technical and professional aims, Boucher has decamped for Los Angeles, where she’s “hanging out with people and bouncing ideas off my friends. I’m just making way more music.”

“I took my advance and I used it to have my own studio,” Boucher says. It’s completely portable. “Recording in professional studios is the worst idea — I don’t know why anybody even does it . . . they’re so expensive.”

She’s also relearning to navigate her relationship with the public as part of her newfound professionalism. Like many young people who frequently change hair color, Boucher maintains an active Tumblr, where she riffs on everything from veganism to cultural appropriation. But with fame comes a sizable — and reactive — audience. “I tried to do the A.L.S. ice-bucket challenge in a way that I thought was good” — that is, she refused, because of the drought in California and her opposition to animal testing funded by the A.L.S. Association — “and all these people with A.L.S. were like, ‘You’re the worst person ever.’ I was crying for days,” she says. She recently underwent media training to learn “how to stop saying stupid things so I stop having all these constant dramas,” Boucher says. “But I didn’t really learn anything.”

c71
13952 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:09 AM

5. "Grimes "REALiTi" pop stuff off the "scrapped" 2014 album"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-09-15 10:12 AM by c71

Does Grimes like the stuff off that "scrapped" album or what?!?!?

Make up your mind, Grimes!!!!!!!!!

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-realiti-music-video-watch/

Grimes Releases 'REALiTi' Video From the Album She Scrapped Last Year
"It's a bit of a mess," the Canadian singer confesses

by Brennan Carley

In her video for the new song "REALiTi" — a track she claims was recorded in early 2013 and will not appear on the follow-up to her stellar 2012 LP Visions — Grimes dances and thrashes her way around a lily pond, a flight of stairs, and various cityscapes across Asia. In her own words:

This song was never finished. its a demo from ~ the lost album ~, recorded early 2013. i lost the ableton file, so its not mixed or mastered. i tried to doctor the mp3 into a listenable state, but it was poorly recorded in the first place and never meant to be heard by anyone, so its a bit of a mess haha.

"REALiTi" sonically works on the same level as "Go," a rejected Rihanna demo that the electropop producer released last summer, with their Big Pop Ideas and structurally more accessible melodies and lyricism. Though there's no word on when — if at all — Grimes' album is to be expected, watch her new video above to help the time pass more quickly.

fanks
Member since Apr 07th 2013
74 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 09:47 PM

9. "REALiTi"
In response to Reply # 5

good

c71
13952 posts
Sat Mar-14-15 12:16 PM

6. "Grimes after Grimes after Grimes after Grimes....I can't control the Gri..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-lost-album-depressing-tumblr/

Grimes Says She 'Ditched' Her Lost Album Because It Was 'Depressing'

"People's opinions do not factor into my process"

By Colin Joyce

March 14 2015, 11:12 AM ET

Ever since Claire Boucher let slip a while back that she'd scrapped her latest Grimes album, there's been a persisting rumor that she did so because criticism of her single "Go." She attempted to dispel those ideas in an interview with The New York Times a while back, saying that she scrapped it because it "sucked." But last night, hot on the heels of the release of "REALiTi" another track from that "lost album," she decided to clarify a bit more, emphasizing that "ditching" the album had nothing to do with "negative fan reaction to 'Go,'" and had more to do with the tone of the songs themselves.

"The album was scrapped because it was depressing and I didn't want to tour it." she explained in a Tumblr post.

She went on to explain that the album could still see release someday, but that all of this decision-making went down "before 'Go' was ever released." What's more, she says that "Go" was never planned for the album anyway and was released as a "thank you" to fans since she decided to push her album back. All of this to underscore the bolded portion of her post that seemed to be its central message: "people's opinions do not factor into my process."

While an LP may still be a ways off, fans won't have to wait long at all for more music from Boucher. She let slip on Twitter that another recording with Jack Antonoff would be appearing in this week's episode of Girls.

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 01:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Oblivion will forever be my shit, don't know anything else about her "
In response to Reply # 0

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

c71
13952 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 10:47 AM

8. "Grimes once more............"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-bleachers-jack-antonoff-entropy-stream-girls/

Grimes and Bleachers Team Again On 'Entropy' For HBO's 'Girls'
The Montreal-based producer and fun.'s Jack Antonoff share the fruits of their studio labors

by Colin Joyce

March 15 2015, 10:07 AM ET

Back in November, it was let slip that Grimes' Claire Boucher was headed back into the studio with Jack Antonoff's Bleachers project for another collaboration. Boucher alerted us to the existence of a new single in a Tumblr post yesterday. And this morning, we finally heard the fruits of those sessions, a track called "Entropy" that's set to debut on this week's episode of HBO's Brooklyn dramedy Girls. "Entropy" inverts the workload of the duo's 2014 team-up "Take It Away," using Grimes lilting vocals as the centerpiece of a dreamy '80s-influenced synth-pop track. It's a fair bit more saccharine than the other singles that Grimes has shared of late, but it's a delightfully catchy little ode to one of the laws of nature. Listen below.

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:19 AM

10. "wow, this is terrible"
In response to Reply # 8

>http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-bleachers-jack-antonoff-entropy-stream-girls/

i thought it couldn't get worse after Go, but this is definitely worse

c71
13952 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 02:25 PM

11. "Shifty - low down gritty and GRIMYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-27-15 02:33 PM by c71

http://www.spin.com/2015/08/the-5-most-insane-things-grimes-said-in-her-ew-interview/

The 5 Most Ridiculous Things Grimes Said in Her ‘EW’ Interview

"I tried rapping in Dothraki and it didn’t work"

Harley Staff PhotoHarley Brown // August 27, 2015

Montreal’s biggest anti-pop export, Grimes, is nothing if not interesting. Claire Boucher has been teasing her third album, the follow-up to 2012’s stellar Visions, with a slew of new songs — her Rihanna- and Dante’s Inferno-inspired Blood Diamonds collaboration “Go,” “Realiti,” and Bleachers’ tag-team “Entropy” — and hints that she’ll surprise-release it sometime in October. Along the way she’s also dropped juicy sound bites on Tumblr (she wrote that it was too “depressing” to tour) and into various interviews. The latest of which, for Entertainment Weekly, might be her most illuminating and truly weirdest interview yet. Read some of the most choice excerpts here.

1. On her forthcoming LP’s sounds that are not made by her:

There are no other musicians but there are three songs that are based on a sample. All the songs contain songs I’ve made too. A lot of them are only me. are all really weird. They’re not like “cool” samples. They’re Japanese compilations from the ’80s and s—t… My friend’s archiving a bunch of s—t and while he was doing that I was like, “Oooh… there are all these really weird sounds.” There’s one that really sounds like Baby Bash.

2. On rapping like a Game of Thrones character and the barter system:

I can’t rap! I tried rapping in Dothraki and it didn’t work. I was really proud of the beats. So I wanted to try to find cool people who would want to participate. I’d trade them a song, not like paying somebody. Someone who honestly wants to collaborate. Then I’ll make them a beat or do a vocal feature or something later.

3. On hating what everyone else thinks are her best songs:

By popular demand, I did try to remake “Realiti” and it is really good now. I’m considering putting it on the record. I had to re-produce it for the live show anyway. I don’t like “Realiti,” but everybody else does. I may put it on by popular demand, I don’t know… It’s a lazy song. I wrote it in 20 minutes. But I should probably put it on. I hate “Oblivion” too. All the songs that are singles are all songs people have to force me to do. I know that if I don’t like and everyone else likes it, then it’s probably a single. I always hate the songs that are the singles.

4. On her alter-egos:

There are a bunch from the perspective of a vampire mobster character, which I’m now concerned about because I’m realizing if people think the words are from my perspective, they might think I’m insane. It’s about crime and stuff. There’s a lot more stuff like that because I feel more adventurous if I feel like I can — I don’t know if abdicate is the right word— but if I don’t have to take the blame because it’s not me… If people judge it, I feel less attached to it because I feel like it’s less me. I feel like it’s a character I’m playing.

5. On not being able to please anyone:

When I put out “Vanessa” in Montreal, I remember someone wrote an op-ed in the Montreal Gazette called, “Grimes makes car commercial music.” It’s always happened. I think I’m stuck between an experimental scene and a pop scene. Everyone is always mad when I give lip service to one or the other. If I make stuff that’s too weird, people complain. Then if I make stuff that’s too pop, other people complain. This album is two halves. It’s very structured like that. If you’re going to complain about one-half, then you have the other half.

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 05:31 PM

12. "Grimes needs to not give anymore fucks....."
In response to Reply # 11

just go black on social media and interviews.

I just want to hear her music at this point.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

c71
13952 posts
Mon Sep-14-15 12:57 PM

13. "Rhinestone Grimes-girl"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/2015/09/grimes-rhinestone-cowgirls-tour/

Grimes Announces ‘Rhinestone Cowgirls’ Tour, Promises New Music Beforehand

The North American trek will feature Nicole Dollanganger, whose new album is out on Grimes pseudo-label

Colin Joyce // September 14, 2015

Grimes has been teasing a new record for the better part of the last two years, and now it finally seems there’ll be a chance to hear more of the new material soon. Today, she’s announced a lengthy North American tour for October and November called “Rhinestone Cowgirls” and shared the news on Instagram that she hadn’t started booking the tour until the album was finished. She also promised “new trax b4″ the tour starts and says that all that’s left to be done is “mixing and working on vids.”
A few of the dates will feature opening sets from Nicole Dollanganger, a macabre songwriter whose many Bandcamp releases caused Grimes to launch a pseudo-label called Eerie Organization to put out her new record Natural Born Losers.Today, she’s sharing a video for “Angels of Porn,” which you can check out below along with the tour dates.

c71
13952 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 12:29 PM

14. "Grimes Names New Album ‘Art Angels,’ Posts Cover Art - Spin swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/2015/10/grimes-art-angels-album-art/

NEWS \

Grimes Names New Album ‘Art Angels,’ Posts Cover Art

Claire Boucher has also said to expect "music and video next week"

by Rachel Brodsky // October 19, 2015

Grimes — a.k.a. art-pop performer Claire Boucher — has finally unveiled the name of her forthcoming follow-up to 2012’s Visions. Titled Art Angel, the record features illustrated album art designed by Boucher herself. She posted the news to Twitter and Instagram (shared below), which also announced the arrival of new “music and video next week,” which could arrive on October 22 or 26.

c71
13952 posts
Mon Oct-26-15 11:44 AM

15. "New Grimes live on stage"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-26-15 11:46 AM by c71

http://www.spin.com/2015/10/grimes-new-songs-beach-goth-art-angels-video/

Grimes Played New Material at Beach Goth Festival Last Night
Presumably from the upcoming 'Art Angels'

Brennan Carley // October 25, 2015

Grimes announced on Instagram and Twitter last week that new music and a video from her upcoming album Art Angels — the very long-awaited follow-up to 2012’s Visions — would be coming this week. Last night, the Canadian multi-hyphenate performed new material at California’s Beach Goth Festival, the first stop of her current Rhinestone Cowgirls tour. Who knows if the songs will appear on Art Angels or not, but if nothing else, they’re a good sign of where Grimes’ head is at these days — during one of them, she sinks to the ground while screaming. Watch below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrisez88JZI

c71
13952 posts
Mon Oct-26-15 04:30 PM

16. ""Flesh without blood/Life in the vivid dream" video"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-26-15 04:33 PM by c71

http://www.spin.com/2015/10/grimes-flesh-without-blood-life-in-the-vivid-dream-video/

Grimes Shares Fantastical ‘Flesh Without Blood/Life in the Vivid Dream’ Video

The first dispatch from 'Art Angels' features a number of outlandishly beautiful costumes

Colin Joyce // October 26, 2015

Update: 4AD has announced that Art Angels will be out November 6 digitally. Check out the album’s track list below.

Grimes has finally released the first taste of her long-in-the-works follow-up to Visions, now titled Art Angels. The video for “Flesh Without Blood” and “Life in the Vivid Dream” just landed on YouTube, and true to the otherworldly clips she released for her previous work, this one features the alt-pop auteur sporting a number of fantastical costumes (including but not limited to): a creepy angel, renaissance era royalty, and a green cowboy hat. There’s minimalist choreography, sports, and a whole lot of blood, so it’s pretty much exactly the return you’d want from the moribund songwriter.

Oh, and the music itself is made up of maximalist techno-pop banger that’s sure to upset the same folks who couldn’t handle the blown-out brilliance she exhibited on “Go,” as well as a more gentle number (which is incidentally paired with the bloody bits of the video). You’ll want to listen and watch right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

Art Angels track list:

1. “laughing and not being normal”
2. “California”
3. “SCREAM ft. Aristophanes”
4. “Flesh without Blood”
5. “Belly of the Beat”
6. “Kill V. Maim”
7. “Artangels”
8. “Easily”
9. “Pin”
10. “Realiti”^
11. “World Princess part II”
12. “Venus Fly ft. Janelle Monáe”
13. “Life in the Vivid Dream”
14. “Butterfly”
15. “Realiti (Demo)”*

^=CD and digital only

*=digital only

c71
13952 posts
Fri Oct-30-15 12:50 PM

17. "Grimes - "scream""
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/2015/10/grimes-aristophanes-scream-new/

We All Scream for Grimes’ ‘Scream’

The new track from Claire Boucher features Taiwanese rapper Aristophanes

Andrew Unterberger // October 30, 2015

Well, seems like we can rest assured that Grimes’ upcoming album won’t beVisions redux. It’s hard to know how to describe new two-minute track “Scream” — Diplo and Trent Reznor collaborating on a Dick Dale cover, maybe, but even that doesn’t cover the foreign-language rap, mostly courtesy of Taiwanese MC Aristophanes — but nobody’s gonna be mixing it up with “Be a Body” or “Genesis” anytime soon. Fine by us: New Grimes is kinda freaky and awesome. Listen here.

https://youtu.be/UUe9rnucPoU

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Nov-04-15 05:14 PM

18. "Overture (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.grimesmusic.com/artangels/

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

c71
13952 posts
Thu Nov-05-15 10:17 AM

19. "Watch Grimes rock a crowd"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/2015/11/grimes-guggenheim-international-gala-concert-watch/

Grimes Performs at the 2015 Guggenheim International Gala

Watch part of the singer's stirring set from the center of the iconic museum

James Grebey // November 5, 2015

Artsy synthpop singer Grimes got even artsier last night when she performed at the Guggenheim Museum’s 2015 International Gala pre-party. Grimes, whose new album Art Angels drops tomorrow, took the stage in the center of the iconic Frank Lloyd Wright-designed building’s atrium and dazzled the crowd spiraled around her. Watch a fan-shot video of her playing “Genesis,” off of her third album Visions, here; and check out some Instagrams here as well.

https://youtu.be/kzJgeCStsHM

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Nov-08-15 03:56 PM

20. "RE: This album."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes.

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."
—Ken Kesey

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

16580 posts
Sun Nov-08-15 05:40 PM

21. "RE: This album."
In response to Reply # 20

I really am starting to hate this digital format being available a full month+ prior to any physical formats.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Nov-08-15 09:43 PM

22. "RE: I hate it too."
In response to Reply # 21
Sun Nov-08-15 09:46 PM by Austin

But I couldn't wait. This and the Carla Morrison I've had to just settle for Spotifying them for now. It was worth it because they're both really good, but yeah, not ideal for my first listen to be at the computer desk.

Have you heard Art Angels yet?

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."
—Ken Kesey

16580 posts
Mon Nov-09-15 02:27 PM

24. "RE: I hate it too."
In response to Reply # 22

>But I couldn't wait. This and the Carla Morrison I've had to
>just settle for Spotifying them for now. It was worth it
>because they're both really good, but yeah, not ideal for my
>first listen to be at the computer desk.
>
>Have you heard Art Angels yet?
>
Yessir. Checked it out on Spotify too. Like what I heard. Gonna give it some more spins. Def a lot cleaner sound than the previous album but I'm glad she didn't try to repeat

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Nov-09-15 03:14 PM

25. "RE: I think it's highlights are better than Visions' highlights."
In response to Reply # 24

But, overall, I'd say Visions is the more consistent album.

Love how she changed up her singing style for Art Angels as well.

—Ken Kesey

c71
13952 posts
Mon Nov-09-15 12:41 PM

23. "Grimes: The Triumph of a Self-Made Oddball - Rolling Stone swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/grimes-the-triumph-of-a-self-made-oddball-20151105

Grimes: The Triumph of a Self-Made Oddball

Jay Z–approved cyborg-pop auteur produces her own songs, headlines festivals and wants to be the new Trent Reznor

By Rachel Syme November 5, 2015

When Claire Boucher, 27, who writes, records, and produces music as Grimes, decided to show off her unshaved armpits in a recent round of press photos, her PR team went into crisis mode. This was not the image they had in mind; they wanted her quirky but groomed, wild but not too wild, more feminine than feral. Boucher saw it another way.

"I was like, armpit hair! Yes!" she says, sitting cross-legged on a couch in the Los Angeles headquarters of her record label, 4AD. She is wearing an oversized black T-shirt bearing the name of Ronda Rousey and fresh white sneakers, with her long hair, brown at the roots and magenta below, twisted into two braids. She looks like Wednesday Addams headed to a rave. "Everyone else on my team was like, no way, no armpit hair, absolutely not," she says. "So in the end we sent the shots to Big Jay."

Big Jay is Jay Z, who signed Boucher to his RocNation management company in 2013, shortly after her 2012 album, Visions, made her a critical darling, rising star and big festival draw. Soon, she was spinning legendary house parties in Ibiza, attending the Met Ball in Louis Vuitton and appearing in fashion's front row.

Jay Z, a self-made mogul, may have been inspired by Boucher's scrappiness: She made Visions entirely by herself in under a month, locked in a dark room with only GarageBand, Adderall, and whatever food friends thought to bring her. She made all the beats, sang all the vocals, played all the instruments, and drew all the album artwork in the intricate pen-and-ink style of a girl who spent her entire childhood tracing anime books. Boucher says she made Visions "at such a psychotic pace" to meet a deadline set by her then-manager. But even in that short span she made something both defiantly weird — the big song off Visions, "Oblivion," features an eerie, child-like voice trilling glossolalia over thumping beats you feel in your chest — and addictive, like a house party in a Gothic castle.

Buying into the Grimes project, as Jay Z did, means buying into Boucher's fiercely guarded independence: She often calls herself "an auteur" without sarcasm. Boucher sees Grimes as an alter-ego, an avatar she inhabits when she wants to take on the world. Her love of graphic novels and Japanese animation led her to create a new kind of superhero: the woman who makes music without ever watering it down. This is a fight Jay Z supports: When the team sent him the armpit photos, he immediately approved them. "He just said, 'Yes, let her keep the hair,'" says Boucher with a smirk. "He overruled everybody. It's just good to have an artist at the head of the management, because, like, he's an artist. He gets us."

"He gets us," says Boucher of Jay Z. Larry Busacca/Getty
When Boucher talks, it's like listening to the Internet out loud. She clicks open one conversational tab after another and it's your job to keep up. One moment she will be extolling the merits of Rousey ("She's so psychologically intense!"), the next she will be giving home hair-dye tips ("Get the Manic Panic kind, like the super bleach. Then use the purple toner"), and the next she will veer into a more somber place, talking about how she got so depressed one night last year that she did tequila shots until she was dizzy, and decided to write a sunny pop hook in the witching hours to stave off the blues.

Boucher's new album, Art Angels, is even more jubilantly all over the place than Visions. Some of it sounds like straight-ahead radio-ready pop. "California," the song that came out of that tequila-fueled all-nighter, recalls, of all things, late-period Dixie Chicks (Boucher is a huge fan; she says that when she met Natalie Maines she "had a panic attack"). "Artangels" has an exuberant mid-Nineties girl group feel, the kind of swirling uptempo track that might accompany a makeover montage in a rom com. Some of the record feels closer to the noise rock she started out making, like "Kill Vs. Maim," an almost metal track that nods to Korn (which Boucher calls her "soul music") and Rage Against the Machine. Some of it sounds like alien music of the future. "Flesh Without Blood," which Boucher calls "a diss track about a false friend," undulates in Doppler waves; Boucher says she layered on "so much Enya synth shit" to the last song, called "Butterfly" (a bubbly parable about an insect seeing an airplane for the first time) that she kept crashing her computer.

Raised in Vancouver (her mother is a former prosecutor and now edits the Vancouver Observer; her father works in the business side of biotech), Boucher was the only girl out of five children and leaned into her eccentricities at a young age. She drew up drawing, studying Akira books and thinking she might one day become an illustrator. Still, her parents pushed her towards practicality, and so she moved to Montreal in 2006 to study neuroscience at McGill University. While in class, she began making noise rock on her computer, teaching herself how to manipulate 808s and singing breathy la-las into "this shitty microphone." After seeing the category of Grime music as one of the choices on MySpace, she decided she liked the word and adopted it as her own.

Soon Boucher was so enmeshed in becoming Grimes that she dropped out of college to make music full-time. "My dad still sometimes calls and asks if I can finish my degree," she jokes. "My parents understand what I do now, more or less, but they still get mad when I swear on the Internet. They are like, 'Your grandmother might see this!'"

Swearing on the Internet, ironically, is part of what made Grimes a phenomenon. After Visions came out, Boucher started finding herself at the center of news stories for what she said and did on Twitter and on her Tumblr. In April 2013, she posted a manifesto called "I don't want to have to compromise my morals in order to make a living," which soon went viral. Traveling around the world to do DJ gigs, Boucher had found that often men wouldn't let her touch their equipment. "Or they would say, 'Grimes is just DJ'ing off an iPod,'" she says. "I'm sad that my desire to be treated as an equal and as a human being is interpreted as hatred of men," she wrote, "rather than a request to be included and respected." The post was met with so much so much vitriol online that she temporarily deleted her Tumblr account.

"The live show is more of my evil characters," says Boucher of her onstage personae.

Boucher realized that expressing herself had made her a target — of those offended by her accusations of sexism in the music industry, those who accused her of going mainstream after Visions exploded, and those infuriated by a post she wrote about her love for pop artists like Psy and Mariah Carey. "It started getting extremely hostile," Boucher says of the online atmosphere. "And then men would get weirdly colonial and condescending, offering to 'help' me produce my next record, trying to take my shit."

She says that she also came under critical fire as her fame grew for her collaborations with the fashion industry — she appeared in a campaign for Alexander Wang and started popping up at the Paris shows and other glamorous events — but says that her intense fascination with clothing has much more to do with her love of art than any byproduct of celebrity. "The first time you get to see a couture handmade dress, you're like, 'holy shit,'" she says. "Once you get to work with great photographers and great stylists and shit, it's like the first time you hear Mozart after only hearing 'Chopsticks' on the piano. It really changes your perception of what it is as an art form. I used to do work with theater design and I was always studying shit like that. I love the designer Poiret; his work looks to me like an Aubrey Beardsley painting." Some fans experienced her interest in that world as a kind of assault. "People would be like, 'You're a sellout!' Going from being a very unpopular introverted person to dealing with all that, it was obviously a mindfuck."

As she talks about the three-year break between albums, Boucher is curled up in the corner of a king-sized bed inside the Soho Grand Hotel. It is sweltering in New York, and she's in town for a few days to meet with her record label and finalize details for a video shoot. Her summer vibe falls somewhere between cozy dorm-room and stylish wastrel: casual black hoodie, leopard-print shorts, ripped stockings underneath. Her hair, which changes colors weekly like a mood ring, is an ombre sunset of bright orange to watermelon at the roots, framing her face in a sherbet halo. She looks like some strange combination of crust punk and anime heroine.

After an exhausting tour for Visions, Boucher retreated to the mountains of Squamish, British Columbia, where she wrote a batch of songs that never quite congealed into a full record. "It wasn't enough of a progression," she says of this infamous "lost" album, which she makes clear was never complete — and definitely not, as some reports have it, a dubstep record. Boucher decided she needed a change of scenery, so she moved from Canada to Los Angeles with her boyfriend, musician James Brooks of the band Default Genders, and released a series of excellent one-off songs — including "Entropy," a collaboration with Bleachers' Jack Antonoff; and the single "Go," an R&B-flavored track she and her friend Mike Tucker, who records as Blood Diamonds, wrote with Rihanna in mind.

But when it came time to make Art Angels, Boucher again recorded entirely alone in her home studio (though she did mix the songs with Madonna and U2 producer Spike Stent). She's glad she took her time. Whereas Visions "wasn't really finished when we put it out," Art Angels is album she says she can listen to without cringing.

Even as she cops to making a handful of "rococo pop" songs on the new album, Boucher is adamant that she isn't a pop artist. "Pop music is made by teams of people," she explains. "I make independent music. Not just because I want to exist in the alternative, but because I think it's important not to be artistically indebted to anybody if you want to stand for something. I want people to start thinking of me like Trent Reznor."

You can see Grimes' delightfully oddball brain at work in her first video from Art Angels, which mashes up the songs "Flesh Without Blood" and "Life in the Vivid Dream." Boucher came up with the concept and directed the video herself at the kitschy Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo (her only other collaborator was her brother, Mac Boucher, who did the saturated cinematography). In the video, she plays a variety of characters, including her wastrel "metal" persona Screechy Bat, a bloodstained Marie Antoinette, a creepy angel with a wonky eye, and a Chaplinesque tramp dancing on a table in a kelly-green fedora.

Boucher said she was excited to inhabit all of her different personae (and to explode things; she says in a future video she plans to "blow up her childhood car.") Her videos are a way to merge the Grimes project and her artistic prowess; the videos allow Boucher to engage with as many new sides of herself as she can dream of, of always playing dress-up in different characters in order to explore and play with expectations. When she is touring, she says, she brings out yet another avatar — the person who comes on stage in "a shirt that all ripped and disgusting ... is not even really Grimes. The live show is more of my evil characters."

Boucher says that being in electronic music is so prohibitive for most women because many studio spaces can feel bro-ish and alienating. "You have to go into the studio and it's three in the morning, and there's like 20 guys and everyone's drunk," she says. "It's kind of weird. Now I have the luxury of being on a label and being able to afford to buy my own equipment and make my own studio, but most people don't have that luxury."

In an industry where women represent just five percent of the total producers, Boucher's commitment to producing her own music isn't just essential to her unique sound, it's a political act. And it is also what may make her a new kind of icon. "When I was a teenager, I looked up to Billy Corgan and Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson because there weren't women I could relate to," Boucher says. "I just wanted to be a producer. I never wanted to be the frontperson. But because I ended up doing it myself, I got in too deep and now this is who I am. It was really hard for me to visualize this career for the longest time, because it didn't exist."

This fall, Boucher launched a musical "collective" called Eerie Organization, to put out the work of fellow female musicians. The first Eerie album comes from Nicole Dollanganger, whom Boucher will take on tour with her this winter. Boucher is, essentially, putting her money where her mouth is. "I love pop music; I adore pop music," she says. "But if music even by female artists is being ciphered through a male point of view, there should probably be situations where that isn't the case."

Back in Los Angeles, she takes a long sip from the steel water bottle she always carries (Boucher is big on the environment; she infuses her music with messages about animals and saving the planet, and drives an electric car she brought with her from Canada). Then she says, with a sigh, "You wonder if maybe there would be less pop music that was just about sex and love if it wasn't always women in a room with a bunch of dudes."

"I just wanted to be a producer," says Boucher of her adolescent aspirations. "I never wanted to be the frontperson." Victoria Smith/eyevine/Redux

A few weeks after our last meeting, Boucher posts a picture to her Instagram, the place she tells me she is most authentically herself online ("It's pure visual semiotics," she says. "And usually when I am on there, I am baked"). It is a list of credits for her record, with "Claire Boucher" listed as the producer of every single song. The caption read "Fillin out tha paperwork."

When Boucher released the song "Scream" in late October, she tweeted that "Scream is my first 'producer track', the terrifying and beautiful Aristophanes is the lead vocalist, and grimes did the screaming." Boucher put out the propulsive, creepy track as a kind of response to the web chatter surrounding the "Flesh Without Blood" video; some indie elitists decried her work as too pop, too commercial. One commenter wrote "this is bubblegum pop designed for her 15 year old Tumblr demographic." By putting out the unrelenting "Scream," Boucher seems to be saying, "You think you have me pegged, but you don't."

This is the secret power of Grimes: The character keeps shape-shifting, subverting expectations. In an email, Boucher said she feels an almost spiritual high about her latest accomplishment. "I'm not explicitly religious, but I think this album is about God. I feel lot more in touch with something scary and omnipotent." Even though she's aware of her own fearsome power, Boucher was surprised upon releasing her new album that others felt it too. "Thank u everyone for being so nice," she tweeted just after Art Angels hit the Internet. "I'm crying right now cuz I thought everyone was gonna hate it."

From The Archives Issue 1248: November 19, 2015

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 12:43 AM

26. "very dope."
In response to Reply # 0

lots of FUs to her old fans who think she went "mainstream". but why wouldn't Grimes make pop music? she's great at it.

--------

c71
13952 posts
Tue Apr-12-16 04:16 PM

27. ""and just when you thought Grimes couldn't get better.......""
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/grimes-on-art-angels-follow-up-why-she-loves-tool-20160412

Grimes on 'Art Angels' Follow-Up, Why She Loves Tool

Art-pop star also talks music-industry sexism, tattoo regret, getting advice from Jay Z

BY BRIAN HIATT April 12, 2016

From learning to play guitar to getting advice from Jay Z, here are the five things we learned from Grimes.

Claire Boucher, a.k.a. Grimes, prides herself on being a one-woman show. She writes, produces, engineers and performs some of her generation's most inventive indie pop – most recently Art Angels, which hit Number One on the Alternative album charts and shifted her from hazy synth-pop toward an off-kilter guitars-and-beats sound. The Vancouver native, 28, takes charge of the videos too:

At the moment, she's lounging in bed at her Los Angeles apartment, editing the clip to her next single, "California" (which sounds like mutated Dixie Chicks). In May, she'll join Florence and the Machine on tour, and this month, she's set to play Coachella – where her set might coincide with a certain hard-rock band's reunion. "They're onstage for so long," she says cheerfully, "so you can still catch Grimes and Guns N' Roses."

RS: You learned to play guitar just for this album, right?

Grimes: Yeah, this was just my first attempt at playing the guitar. Which is apparent when you listen to the album. After (previous LP) Visions, I didn't want to play the keys, 'cause I don't want to be considered "synth-pop." One of the first things I did was Google what chords were in Dolly Parton's "Jolene," and I used those on "Belly of the Beat."

RS: You also taught yourself to play violin, which seems pretty difficult.

Grimes: You just Google shit and, like, learn it. But all my violins are incredibly Auto-Tuned, and I just recorded a bunch of notes and arranged them after the fact.

RS: You're signed to Jay Z's management company. What's the best advice he's given you?

Grimes: He told me to stop apologizing so much. It was very difficult. Canadians have to say "sorry" all the time. That's actually really good advice.

RS: You've mentioned Tool as a big influence. What is the attraction there?

Grimes: Instrumentally and vocally, they go to a ton of weird places. And I love the dynamic range, too. They're so artsy, but also populist. I try to live by the sonic principles of Tool.

RS: Art Angels uses rock sounds in a really different context. Do you have thoughts on how rock can work in 2016?

Grimes: I personally really love (British bands) like Bring Me the Horizon and Foals. There's definitely a future in rock, but it will probably be more fusion-oriented, like rock that uses 808s. Twenty One Pilots is kind of like that – it's sort of rock, but the sound is hip-hop. You know all those songs on (the Smashing Pumpkins') Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness that almost sound like Lorde or something? I feel like that vibe has not been explored.

RS: You've been critical of the male-dominated pop-production system – with that in mind, what do you make of Kesha's lawsuit against Dr. Luke?

Grimes: I don't know enough about the specifics of that situation, because it seems very complicated. But I will say that I've been in numerous situations where male producers would literally be like, "We won't finish the song unless you come back to my hotel room." If I was younger or in a more financially desperate situation, maybe I would have done that. I don't think there are few female producers because women aren't interested. It's difficult for women to get in. It's a pretty hostile environment.

RS: Late last year, you talked about taking a break from music. Are you in a different place now?

Grimes: Yeah, definitely. I'm actually halfway done with another record. I'm not committing to anything, but I have a bunch of B sides I kind of want to finish. Plus, I've been making a bit of new music.

RS: How would you describe the direction of the new songs?

Grimes: With Art Angels, it was all like (growls). This would be more chill vibes, downtempos, synth-y shit. That makes it sound boring. It's not boring.

RS: So it's a B-sides album?

Grimes: You know how Lana Del Rey put out Paradise Edition after Born to Die? It would be like that. There are songs I seriously considered for Art Angels, but they fucked with the momentum when I tried to put them on the record.

RS: I feel like the level of fame you have is more difficult than being a superstar.

Grimes: That's definitely true. You're successful, but you're not successful enough that you can afford to totally piss off the fans. Most of the time, when I was making Art Angels, I was thinking, "If people hate this, I have to go work at Starbucks." People recognize you pretty much every time you're out of your house, but you also can't afford to have full-time security. It's a weird situation.

RS: You have a lot of tattoos, and a pretty casual attitude toward getting them, right?

Grimes: Yeah, I don't give a fuck. I'll get a tattoo anywhere, anytime, pretty much.

RS: Do you have a least-favorite?

Grimes: There's one of an alien on my hand that seems so dated. It was just so hip to be into, like, alien iconography and, like, The X-Files in the early 2010s. It seems corny now, but I thought it was a fun idea at the time.

fanks
Member since Apr 07th 2013
74 posts
Mon Apr-18-16 11:34 PM

28. "Hana"
In response to Reply # 27

is gosh

Haven't heard Art Angels. Watched Maim video

Second to none press clippings collection boss

c71
13952 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:39 AM

29. "thanks. This post has been a journey"
In response to Reply # 28

Grimes has been taking me on it.

c71
13952 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:57 AM

30. "Grimes ain't going nowhere - Grimes can't be stopped, cause it's"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/2016/04/grimes-flesh-without-blood-realiti-ave-maria-cover-annie-mac-interview-listen-stream/

Grimes Performs ‘Flesh Without Blood,’ ‘REALiTi,’ and ‘Ave Maria’ on BBC Radio 1

"It's not called a vaporizer — you know those things — what's it called?"

anna headshotAnna Gaca // April 20, 2016

Grimes and band member HANA beamed into Annie Mac’s BBC Radio 1 show yesterday to perform Art Angels’ “Flesh Without Blood” and “REALiTi.” The multi-talented Claire Boucher also discussed directing her own videos, assembling her live show, and the creative process for her recent album (it involved snacks). She wrapped with an unorthodox cover of Franz Schubert’s “Ave Maria,” which she’s performed live in the past.

c71
13952 posts
Thu Oct-06-16 03:08 PM

31. "Grimes - ology 1"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/DQLvqvLvUIY

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-grimes-quirky-acd-reign-chronicles-video-series-w443586

Watch Grimes' Quirky 'Ac!d Reign Chronicles' Video Series
Singer filmed lo-fi clips for "World Princess Part II," "Butterfly," "Scream," "Belly of the Beat" during European tour

By Ryan Reed, Sarah Grant

23 hours ago

Grimes roams Europe with friend/collaborator HANA in the duo's campy, lo-fi video series "The Ac!d Reign Chronicles." Grimes' brother Mac assisted on the 38-minute project, which strings together clips for four Grimes tracks – "World Princess Part II," "Butterfly," "Scream" (featuring Aristophanes) and "Belly of the Beat" – and three HANA songs ("Chimera," "Underwater" and "Avalanche"). The musicians self-produced the videos during Grimes' European tour behind her fourth LP, 2015's Art Angels.

Grimes maximizes her low budget in this cell phone-filmed "trashique adventure," contrasting that crude technology with the beauty of her surroundings. The singer, wearing a mask, dances around a courtyard in the video for grooving electro-pop track "Butterfly." In "World Princess Part II," Grimes parties on a private jet, soundtracked by the song's jazzy drum breaks and whirring synthesizers. Taiwanese rapper Aristophanes stars in the clip for metallic "SCREAM." And melismatic sing-along "Belly of the Beat," Grimes' most visually vivid clip, is filled with artful interpretative dancing on expansive hillsides.

Hana Gabrielle Pestle, the singer-songwriter who performs under the moniker HANA, contributed a triptych of videos to the collection. Each is similarly forlorn, with HANA shot in various settings, always alone. The songs are also similar musically. HANA sings ethereally over paced studio-generated clatter on "Underwater" as she twirls down the bannister of a gorgeous, albeit empty home. "Chimera" balances its atmospheric production with sewn-in quirks (a la Grimes) and here, HANA does more twirling, but in a park, on a stoop and in a leopard print long coat.

Her final video in the series, "Avalanche," is the most decadent. In a billowy wine-red frock, HANA sings longingly among classical marble statues and mirrors. "Say you wanted me to hold onto you," she sings. But like the other clips, it's clear no one's home.
The "Ac!d Reign Chronicles" project came together between shows and during off-days on Grimes' European trek, and since the trio "felt done after a couple days," they continued to shoot material for HANA.

"These seven videos were shot over a two-week period throughout Europe," Grimes tweeted about the clips, which are also viewable individually. "They are guerrilla style vids, a la realiti, so there was no crew, makeup, cameras, lights. Just us and a phone, so maybe don't expect anything too fancy. That said, we're really proud of what we made."

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Thu Oct-06-16 05:50 PM

32. "Who can watch this much bad white girl dancing?"
In response to Reply # 31

Lobby The Lesson topic #2901340 Previous topic | Next topic