Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2875552

Subject: "Vinyl cutting machine" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13978 posts
Sat Mar-15-14 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Vinyl cutting machine"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/turn-mp3s-vinyl-records-184908450.html?vp=1

Turn MP3s Into Vinyl Records

By Andrew Lampard | This Could Be Big

Vinyl is back! And in a big way.

Vinyl Recorder, a small company based in Germany, has created a machine that carves MP3s into vinyl, thereby marrying audio's future with its past.

After setting up the machine and learning its ropes, you can transfer any MP3 in your possession onto your own personal mix-tape-on-vinyl.
But why go through the trouble if you love digital? Wesley Wolfe, Vinyl Recorder’s representative in the United States, explained that, with vinyl’s resurgence in recent years, music listeners -- and not just audiophiles -- are rediscovering vinyl’s quintessential "warm" sound.

Digital files, he said, have laddered sound waves. But when you transfer MP3s onto vinyl using Vinyl Recorder’s machine, the sound waves are smoothed out. The result, Wolfe said, is a so-called audio “sweet spot” only achieved on vinyl.

To see just how the process works, watch the video embedded above the article.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how many times did you read this and laugh at the absurdity?
Mar 15th 2014
I loved the video
Mar 15th 2014
dope idea, but prolly cost prohibitive
Mar 16th 2014
dope but ...
Mar 16th 2014
why would anyone want to transfer an mp3 file to wax???
Mar 17th 2014
The video says you can use any audio source - even tape
Mar 17th 2014
      I've done one of these before for this project (link)
Mar 17th 2014
http://i.imgur.com/WQHGg2o.gif
Mar 17th 2014

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat Mar-15-14 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how many times did you read this and laugh at the absurdity?"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

c71
13978 posts
Sat Mar-15-14 06:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I loved the video"
In response to Reply # 1

yep

Magnum Opus
Member since Sep 03rd 2003
256 posts
Sun Mar-16-14 05:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "dope idea, but prolly cost prohibitive"
In response to Reply # 0

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Sun Mar-16-14 06:50 PM

4. "dope but ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... I bet that shit is expensive as fuck. Than the company is in Germany. The shipping gonna make it even more expensive.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Mar-17-14 11:50 AM

5. "why would anyone want to transfer an mp3 file to wax???"
In response to Reply # 0

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

c71
13978 posts
Mon Mar-17-14 01:37 PM

7. "The video says you can use any audio source - even tape"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Mar-17-14 01:43 PM by c71

MP3 is just what the written article says. The video says anything (tape, mic's/mixers).

But for MP3 both the video and the written article say the square compressed wave forms of MP3's (and CD's) can be "smoothed out" by the "cutting needle" of the vinyl recorder because the vinyl recorder cutting "needle" (I guess) can't make a "rigid 90 degree "shift" to make a digital wave's exact waveform.

So........

If I got a bunch of MP3's and I for some reason want a certain track to sound more "smoothed around the edges", I would probably want to put it on vinyl (hoping, of course, that the sound wouldn't deteriorate too much in the transfer process).

Since the video say you can use anything as a source, I would if I had the $$$$ would put some live recording of me and a band recorded with tube mic on some 2 inch tape to the vinyl disc probably using a mixer too (very loud) to get a full analog tube-y vinyl blow-out experience. I'd do that way more than transfer MP3's to vinyl.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-17-14 01:50 PM

8. "I've done one of these before for this project (link)"
In response to Reply # 7

http://concretesoundsystem.com/services-rendered-ltd/

It's essentially a lathe cut. The guy who does it in the US went and was *certified* in the process across the pond.

Regardless of what the source is (We used high quality master files (24/48) as far as vinyl sound goes the audio is pretty bad. It's just not an audiophile process but more a quick way to put anything on vinyl. A novelty item which worked for what we were doing (our vinyl is actually more about audio book than music) but is hardly about getting good sound.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57012 posts
Mon Mar-17-14 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "http://i.imgur.com/WQHGg2o.gif"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-17-14 11:59 AM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

http://i.imgur.com/WQHGg2o.gif

Lobby The Lesson topic #2875552 Previous topic | Next topic