Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2875024

Subject: "How is LSJF affecting The Roots' album sales?" Previous topic | Next topic
VerbalK420
Member since Feb 28th 2003
143 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 08:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How is LSJF affecting The Roots' album sales?"
Wed Mar-12-14 08:31 PM by VerbalK420

Is there any way to get a number on this? I am wondering how much the exposure to a completely new audience has translated to sales/downloads. Hopefully, quite a bit. I know if I saw them performing the way they do night after night and regularly contributing to outstanding musical performances, I would definitely be seeking out some of their recorded material.

Which leads me to another question: What would the average, never-heard-of-The-Roots-before-the-Tonight-Show new fan choose to buy or download first? Would they end up with Things Fall Apart? How I Got Over? Their most recent solo studio album, Undun? Wise Up Ghost with Elvis? Each of these choices would provide a pretty different picture of the band. Perhaps they would never buy an album at all, content to listen to low fidelity rips on YouTube or download a few tracks on iTunes.

Having been a fan for so long and having seen so many different changes in their personnel, style, etc. it's fun to think that this high profile gig will certainly lead to at least one completely uninformed, unexposed virgin listener, perhaps one who has never even entertained the idea of purchasing a "rap" album before this. I can't think of a better place to start.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know the answer to your questions but what I do know is...
Mar 12th 2014
The Roots are a critical acclaim > sells band
Mar 12th 2014
RE: The Roots are a critical acclaim > sells band
Mar 12th 2014
      I have no idea what they'd naturally gravitate to
Mar 12th 2014
           I don't know how those totally slipped my mind...
Mar 13th 2014
They'd probably go to iTunes and cop whatever is rated highest
Mar 13th 2014

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 08:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't know the answer to your questions but what I do know is..."
In response to Reply # 0

They have a steady paycheck which I'm assuming is good-great without having to travel the world. they're getting tons of exposure and Quest has been on TV ads for guitar center and coors light as well as being in magazines that are not hip hop, they're doing just fine I'm guessing

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The Roots are a critical acclaim > sells band"
In response to Reply # 0

The right people buy/write about their music so they're good.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

VerbalK420
143 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 09:22 PM

3. "RE: The Roots are a critical acclaim > sells band"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Mar-12-14 09:50 PM by VerbalK420

I can see how it might be unclear from how I led off my post, but I guess my interest is more on the questions posed in the 2nd paragraph regarding a brand new fan's entry point and just whether or not people think this exposure is resulting in and will continue to result in an influx of new fans.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 10:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I have no idea what they'd naturally gravitate to"
In response to Reply # 3

But if I could put something in their hands, I'd probably give them both volumes of Home Grown. Great mix that showcases the diversity of the group's discog.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

VerbalK420
143 posts
Thu Mar-13-14 09:27 AM

5. "I don't know how those totally slipped my mind..."
In response to Reply # 4

Yes, that would be the obvious starting point. Definitely time for Vol. 3, btw. Homegrown Vol. 3: America's Guide to Late Night's Greatest Band The Roots.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Mar-13-14 10:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "They'd probably go to iTunes and cop whatever is rated highest"
In response to Reply # 0

So, without lookin' I'm gonna guess "The Seed 2.0?"

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Lobby The Lesson topic #2875024 Previous topic | Next topic